Snooker

BWG

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/2/2023 at 11:35 AM, Reed or deed said:

Aye.

I have to turn his matches off now, can’t watch him. Fucking grinding he does and the face he makes while taking ages to play simple shots, just fuck off.

Though to be fair, he was a good loser yesterday and spoke well in defeat.

To be fair to Selby, and what he went through as a kid, to be a top class snooker player, with such class in defeat speaks volumes about the man.

9 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

To be fair to Selby, and what he went through as a kid, to be a top class snooker player, with such class in defeat speaks volumes about the man.

What did he go through like?

Ronnie O Sullivan been through some shit as well with his old man and his own mental issues. Doesn’t make him a boring bastard of a snooker player. 🤷‍♂️

On 4/17/2023 at 9:21 PM, Roberto said:

What's his clothes made out of? Bet he travelled by car.

Ugh.

Meh. Seen this argument countless times before. Perhaps he could argue that the overeliance on oil makes to very difficult to dress and travel without relying on oil. He isn't able to live his desired carbon neutral life without major societal change.

I don't think these guys are all bad. Minor inconveniences compared to the damage to the planet caused by big business.

2 hours ago, Howard Marks said:

Meh. Seen this argument countless times before. Perhaps he could argue that the overeliance on oil makes to very difficult to dress and travel without relying on oil. He isn't able to live his desired carbon neutral life without major societal change.

I don't think these guys are all bad. Minor inconveniences compared to the damage to the planet caused by big business.

They're wankers mate.

The end.

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

Was the youngest winner of uk championship and is now the oldest. 

Amazing the contrast between the likes of him, Williams and to a slightly lesser extent Higgins and hendry who is a similar age but was finished competitively about two decades ago. 

Davis and Hendry were 31 and 30 when they won their last world championships. The top players were getting younger back then, they're all in their 30s and 40s now. Weird.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 4:04 PM, maryhilldon said:

Davis and Hendry were 31 and 30 when they won their last world championships. The top players were getting younger back then, they're all in their 30s and 40s now. Weird.

Davis couldn't live with Hendry and I think that's what did him in. As great as Davis was, the standard in the 80s was honking.

Hendry claimed to get the yips and that's what ended his career. I'd imagine that setting all new records gave him a lot less motivation to put in the 6 hours of practice he was doing every day at that point. He spoke constantly about wanting 7 world titles, once he got it, what else was there? Add in about that age he had a family and that dedication soon goes away.

O'Sullivan undoubtedly wants 8 titles and I'd imagine that's what keeps him going. He'll prob retire soon after getting it. Had O'Sullivan dominated for 10 years and set all those records I'm not sure we'd still see him at the top 30 years on like now

• 4 weeks later...

The rocket is something else like. He’s nae right in the heed though and can be completely unprofessional and a cocky cunt.

Virgo claiming he is the most talented sportsperson of any sport yesterday.

Not sure sbout that like.

Snooker is an easy sport to play compared to say golf. Hardly any variables in snooker. 

7 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

The rocket is something else like. He’s nae right in the heed though and can be completely unprofessional and a cocky cunt.

Virgo claiming he is the most talented sportsperson of any sport yesterday.

Not sure sbout that like.

Snooker is an easy sport to play compared to say golf. Hardly any variables in snooker. 

He's undoubtedly been given a gift and as he holds pretty much every record there is, it's fair to claim he's the best ever.

What clouds a lot of judgement though is how quickly he plays. However, when judging how good he is, it should be pretty much irrelevant. There are no points for being quick.

Also, the records that matter most are the triple crown events and he does have the most, but he's done it over a 30 year period. That longevity obviously is a consideration of how great he is. But if you compare it to Hendry, he's not far behind and he did it in pretty much 10 years. There's no guarantee though that if he played for longer he would've added to his tally and he retired by his own admission because he didn't like not winning all the time.

I've no idea if he's the best UK sportsman ever. He's certainly worth a mention. But snooker is definitely not an easy game to play and it absolutely has so many variables.

The whole technique of cue delivery is quite similar to golf and there's a lot of snooker players are pretty decent at golf too. Probably because of that.

7 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

He's undoubtedly been given a gift and as he holds pretty much every record there is, it's fair to claim he's the best ever.

What clouds a lot of judgement though is how quickly he plays. However, when judging how good he is, it should be pretty much irrelevant. There are no points for being quick.

Also, the records that matter most are the triple crown events and he does have the most, but he's done it over a 30 year period. That longevity obviously is a consideration of how great he is. But if you compare it to Hendry, he's not far behind and he did it in pretty much 10 years. There's no guarantee though that if he played for longer he would've added to his tally and he retired by his own admission because he didn't like not winning all the time.

I've no idea if he's the best UK sportsman ever. He's certainly worth a mention. But snooker is definitely not an easy game to play and it absolutely has so many variables.

The whole technique of cue delivery is quite similar to golf and there's a lot of snooker players are pretty decent at golf too. Probably because of that.

You make an interesting point on the time it took Hendry to achieve almost as much as O’Sullivan. Never thought about it like that before. As for the speed thing, i agree to a certain extent, but when you have a guy who can make a maximum in about 5 minutes and it could contain both left and right handed shots, i’m not really sure how anyone can top that?

Golf has way more variables than snooker. Weather, temperature, grass types, slopes, altitude, trajectory, different distances, different courses to name but a few.

Far more body mechanical movements to synchronise as well.

1 hour ago, Reed or deed said:

You make an interesting point on the time it took Hendry to achieve almost as much as O’Sullivan. Never thought about it like that before. As for the speed thing, i agree to a certain extent, but when you have a guy who can make a maximum in about 5 minutes and it could contain both left and right handed shots, i’m not really sure how anyone can top that?

Golf has way more variables than snooker. Weather, temperature, grass types, slopes, altitude, trajectory, different distances, different courses to name but a few.

Far more body mechanical movements to synchronise as well.

I'm not knocking the speed thing or being able to play with both hands. It's great to watch and obviously he has so much talent to do it. My point is more about whether you score 100 break in 4mins left handed or in 10 mins with your right hand, it's still the same score.

Agree on the point about body movement in golf, but it's probably impossible to count the variables in each sport.

To start with in snooker, during a frame with reds on a table, you'll probably never get two shots the exact same. There will always be some variable as to how they're positioned.

On top of that there's obvious variables such as power, spin, distance, angles etc.

Then there's the stuff that can make a massive difference that the casual player probably wouldn't think of and even less likely to notice: the table, the type of cloth, how new is the cloth, are the cushions bedded in, the make of balls, how old are they, the temperature in the room, the humidity, has the table been brushed, napped, ironed and is it heated, the chalk being used, are both players using the same chalk.

Then there's the cue. Length, weight, thickness, balance point, type of wood, the tip, type of ferrule, how many pieces, even using a liquid glue instead of gel affects how the tip plays. I've probably missed loads too.

9 hours ago, Daisy1903 said:

I'm not knocking the speed thing or being able to play with both hands. It's great to watch and obviously he has so much talent to do it. My point is more about whether you score 100 break in 4mins left handed or in 10 mins with your right hand, it's still the same score.

Agree on the point about body movement in golf, but it's probably impossible to count the variables in each sport.

To start with in snooker, during a frame with reds on a table, you'll probably never get two shots the exact same. There will always be some variable as to how they're positioned.

On top of that there's obvious variables such as power, spin, distance, angles etc.

Then there's the stuff that can make a massive difference that the casual player probably wouldn't think of and even less likely to notice: the table, the type of cloth, how new is the cloth, are the cushions bedded in, the make of balls, how old are they, the temperature in the room, the humidity, has the table been brushed, napped, ironed and is it heated, the chalk being used, are both players using the same chalk.

Then there's the cue. Length, weight, thickness, balance point, type of wood, the tip, type of ferrule, how many pieces, even using a liquid glue instead of gel affects how the tip plays. I've probably missed loads too.

Those are not variables, once established, they remain the same.

Golf has elements that are constantly changing in play.

Would love to see them try to play snooker in a 30mph northerly and rain. On a 25 degree  slope.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:41 PM, maryhilldon said:

O'Sullivan gets on my tits. What a whiney bore. Just retire ye dick if it's all such a struggle. He's been moaning and talking about retiring for 20 years.

He's full of shite. That 8th world title means everything to him. He might retire once he gets it.

Hendry used to talk about 7 constantly. Don't think it's a coincidence his game went downhill and then retired soon after getting it.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:34 PM, Daisy1903 said:

He's full of shite. That 8th world title means everything to him. He might retire once he gets it.

Hendry used to talk about 7 constantly. Don't think it's a coincidence his game went downhill and then retired soon after getting it.

Agree, he pretends he doesn’t care about winning and it’s all about cue action and similar nonsense but it’s complete bollocks. 

Hendry definitely went downhill after last world title but hung around the top 16 or 32 for a good decade after, he most certainly didn’t retire soon after. 

https://cuetracker.net/players/stephen-hendry/tournament-record

Didn’t realise he has made a fairly recent ill fated comeback. Embarrassing stats and should probably stick to commentary and the senior circuit.