Lewis Ferguson

Turns up on his first day, Shinnie kicks him in the cunt, we then tell Hamilton we're not paying £500k and we send him on his merry way. Smiles all round (maybe not for Lewis though).

I'm a Lewis and I'd be smiling. So there's that.

Nope.

If he's anything like his uncle ability wise then we've got ourselves a decent player.

Barry Ferguson was a very decent player. Overhyped because he was a snarling Hun. Great composure and controlling of tempo but he wasn't special.

Miles better than we've had in donks still, in fairness.

Am I missing something here or isn't training compensation fixed depending on the category of facilities. All Scottish clubs are Cat 2 so clubs Hamilton are due the following:

12-15 years old (at Cat 4 or €10000 max) - €40000 euros (Assuming Lewis Ferguson has been with them since then)

16-18 years old (At Cat 2 or €60000 max) - €180000 euros

so we will have to pay Hamilton a maximum of €220000 euros or £190000

Am I missing something here or isn't training compensation fixed depending on the category of facilities. All Scottish clubs are Cat 2 so clubs Hamilton are due the following:

12-15 years old (at Cat 4 or €10000 max) - €40000 euros (Assuming Lewis Ferguson has been with them since then)

I'm sure I read online that he was at the Huns at one point.

You're right £190k would be the max training compensation but the actual amount paid is based on the costs Hamilton incurred to train him for those years. They won't be able to justify 40k per player 12-15 or 180k per player 16-18 based on their actual academy spending.

However we will be due them additional compensation because they offered him a contract of equal or better value than his old one and he is under 24. This compensation figure is one a tribunal will determine if the clubs cannot agree it. Each club will give evidence for their valuation of the player and a judgement will be made. They will take into account his age, playing record, valuation of the contract offered at each club and interest shown in him by other clubs. It has become common for the tribunal to set fees based on future successes of the player/buying club like first team appearances, cup wins, % of profit made if he's sold etc.

My guess would be we pay something like £50k upfront then £50k after 30 first team appearences, £50k if we win a cup/league and he played a certain amount of games in that competition and 20% of profit if we sell him.