Scotland V Peru & Mexico

All depends on the clubs that show an interest in him.

If the big spenders show interest then he's clearly reaching the valuation of what they are will to spend.

That means best offer gets him & they will have to pay more than their rivals for him.

He could be worth 1m he could be worth ten times that.

Another good season at us with regular Scotland caps then the clubs down south will be queuing up. Young international with a perfect build for the English game. It is not unrealistic to expect teams to pay £5million as a minimum and at that price he would be a bargain. Very bright future ahead for him if he keeps doing what he is doing.

Dont forget he will also be adding European football to his cv this summer. Ticks another box when English clubs are looking at him as a possibility.

Dont get the argument that somehow his Scotland caps dont count because we picked a weaker squad. He is still one of the only (if not the only) player who has played the whole McLeish era so far. And to captain your country regardless of the squad make up will make clubs sit up and take notice.

£5 million minimum. Hibs would have already sold him for £10 million if it was them.

I thought Shinnie did quite well. No shame being third choice behind Robertson and Tierney. A well-off form Ryan Christie playing in front of him did him no favours too

You'd have to imagine both Tierney and Robertson will start at a 'competitive' match. Shinnie an excellent back up.

I think Tierney will start on the right and Robertson the left.

Bizarre to use Jess as a comparator IMO. Given the transfer fee inflation since 1996, the amount he went for would equate to many multiples of that in today's market.

However, i'd also say that fees of £10 million being quoted here are unrealistic. Given the low esteem that our league is (unfairly) held in down south, they'd be reluctant to shell out big dosh for a relatively untested player. Especially given that our defensive record vs Celtic and Rangers leaves a lot to be desired.

Some big performances by him (and the rest of the side) in Europe and vs Celtic will help English clubs have more comfort in shelling out a decent fee for him. However at this stage, i'd be surprised if any club was prepared to take the risk of spending more than £2-3 million on him.

I'd hope we'd be able to reject bids of that sort of level for the mean time. With the faith that McKenna will continue to develop and net us much more in future.

You'd have to imagine both Tierney and Robertson will start at a 'competitive' match. Shinnie an excellent back up.

I thought O'Donnell did ok but yes, would have Tierney ahead of him on the right.

I was annoyed Stevenson played ahead of Shinnie but with Stevenson only available for one game, it looks like Eck went with Shinnie in the 'harder' game.

Bizarre to use Jess as a comparator IMO. Given the transfer fee inflation since 1996, the amount he went for would equate to many multiples of that in today's market.

However, i'd also say that fees of £10 million being quoted here are unrealistic. Given the low esteem that our league is (unfairly) held in down south, they'd be reluctant to shell out big dosh for a relatively untested player. Especially given that our defensive record vs Celtic and Rangers leaves a lot to be desired.

Some big performances by him (and the rest of the side) in Europe and vs Celtic will help English clubs have more comfort in shelling out a decent fee for him. However at this stage, i'd be surprised if any club was prepared to take the risk of spending more than £2-3 million on him.

I'd hope we'd be able to reject bids of that sort of level for the mean time. With the faith that McKenna will continue to develop and net us much more in future.

It's not at all bizarre.

Jess was our record transfer. I was using him to illustrate that, even when we have had a valuable asset we've been unable to capitalize on that asset by creating a situation whereby we can bring in anything like an inflated fee for him.

Jess went for a couple of million, maximum. A couple of years earlier the Tims had paid out, just as an example, about 1.5 million for Stuart Slater. A very average team player who was half the player Jess was. Does anyone remember Stuart Slater? Probably very few. The point being that 2 million was not some amazing amount of cash for a player like Eoin Jess, because as a club we have a history of getting either derisory sums for our players or nothing at all. Jess might even be seen as an anomaly, because we DID actually get a standard fee for him.

Not a crazy, inflated fee... just a decent amount of cash. And this is in large part because Jess himself WANTED Aberdeen to get money for him. If he'd gone to Italy the club would, once again, have succeeded in getting sweet fuck all for him.

Aye. Shinnie will have limited caps but should always be in the squad because of his versatility.

Good to have about the place is Graeme...

Is that 4 games McLeish has managed for Scotland and he hasn't got both Tierney and Robertson playing at the same time. It's one of the key things he needs to get right, must be quite annoying that he hasn't had a chance to try them out in the same team.

It's absolutely crucial for him that he finds a system that gets them both in the team I think.

Strachan tried Tierney at right back which didn't suit him really and left of a three which suited him a bit better but limited him coming forward.

Robertson is our best player by a country mile. Id be tempted to play Tierney left back and push Robertson further forward. He could play left midfield/wing no problem at all and would be a big threat there for us there.

It's not at all bizarre.

Jess was our record transfer. I was using him to illustrate that, even when we have had a valuable asset we've been unable to capitalize on that asset by creating a situation whereby we can bring in anything like an inflated fee for him.

Jess went for a couple of million, maximum. A couple of years earlier the Tims had paid out, just as an example, about 1.5 million for Stuart Slater. A very average team player who was half the player Jess was. Does anyone remember Stuart Slater? Probably very few. The point being that 2 million was not some amazing amount of cash for a player like Eoin Jess, because as a club we have a history of getting either derisory sums for our players or nothing at all. Jess might even be seen as an anomaly, because we DID actually get a standard fee for him.

Not a crazy, inflated fee... just a decent amount of cash. And this is in large part because Jess himself WANTED Aberdeen to get money for him. If he'd gone to Italy the club would, once again, have succeeded in getting sweet fuck all for him.

I've perhaps misunderstood what you were saying. Apologies.

I understand and agree that AFC have a poor track record when it comes to captilising on our assets.

Aye that's what i'd go for. 4-2-3-1 with Tierney left back and Robertson left winger.

McKenna left centre back.

Aye same here. Left side sorted.

Right side is harder to nail down and get the balance right.

Mulgrew looks like being his right centre back (and captain)

Paterson is probably the best right back but not being played there currently by his club.

Fraser, Ritchie and Forrest will probably fight it out for the right attacking place.

We need to be developing two players for the right side of defence.

Hendry, Soutar etc?

Mulgrew is too old and it's another year until we start the euro qualifiers. Paterson is not good enough to play right back.

I do however agree it's wise to not force young defenders into the team all at once so it's been a good idea to retain Mulgrew for the first 5-10 internationals under McLeish

We need to be developing two players for the right side of defence.

Hendry, Soutar etc?

Mulgrew is too old and it's another year until we start the euro qualifiers. Paterson is not good enough to play right back.

I do however agree it's wise to not force young defenders into the team all at once so it's been a good idea to retain Mulgrew for the first 5-10 internationals under McLeish

Aye Soutar might be a shout there. I forgot about him.

Further forward I think he'll go with McTominay and McGinn central midfield

And McGregor or Armstrong behind the thumb

Aye same here. Left side sorted.

Right side is harder to nail down and get the balance right.

Mulgrew looks like being his right centre back (and captain)

Paterson is probably the best right back but not being played there currently by his club.

Fraser, Ritchie and Forrest will probably fight it out for the right attacking place.

Matt Ritchie is horrendous. Hopefully we never see him in a Scotland shirt again.

An embarassment in multiple different ways.

Hoping Burke can turn into the player people think he could be. We are so short of strikers we need miss many potential match winners in the team. I'd also not rule out Snodgrass to play a part in the next campaign.

Aye if Burke came through that would be a bonus. The thought of playing Phillips or McBurnie upfront if the thumb is injured is pretty scary.

I've perhaps misunderstood what you were saying. Apologies.

I understand and agree that AFC have a poor track record when it comes to captilising on our assets.

No apologies necessary.

It's unusual to see someone willing to hold their hand up and say they might have got something wrong or misunderstood.

Which I'll also be delighted to do if we get anything like an inflated number for McKenna.

:thumbup1: