The Mckenna Dilemma

Also...why the fuck has our asking price changed to £7M?

We should be holding out for EPL interest in the knock on from Harry Maguire and if any EPL club gets interested the £10M would have been no issue.

I don't think the transfer request fits with EPL though i.e. any EPL club would just pay the quoted price as its small beer for them.

Harsh.

1) Comparing anyone to Ryan Jack is harsh

2) For sheer moral degeneracy, going to Sevco trumps going anywhere else

3) Netting the club a big fee is much better than leaving on a free

4) Yes, the timing is terrible, but it's not as if he could wait till after the Euro games - the English window closes on Friday. The only way to avoid this timing would have been to do it earlier - and handing in a formal transfer request is usually a last resort for players, when reason and discussion have failed.

5) He wanted to move on last year, but didn't make a big deal of it, so it's not like he's landed this out of the blue. It's been brewing for a while.

Nope going to Celtic would be just as bad.

The timing is shocking. Potentially leaving us fucked for Europe.

Jack is a cunt of the highest order but he left us at the end of the season and we had time to get a replacement. We are potentially up shit creek here.

He's up there with Jack if he goes and we don't have a replacement by Thursday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jack is a cunt of the highest order but he left us at the end of the season and we had time to get a replacement. We are potentially up shit creek here.

I think that when the dust settles, McKenna will regret the way he's gone about this.  He has destroyed his reputation with our fans.   We are a couple of days away from a massive game - for the first time in a few years, there is a realistic possibility that we could qualify for the Uefa Cup groups stages.... and he drops this bombshell on us.  While we're struggling with injuries in the defense.

He's contracted until 2023.  He shouldn't have signed that contract if he had no intention of honouring it.   I get he wants to move to the next level, but he's only 22 y/o and club have repeatedly said that he can leave once we get a suitable offer.  What's the rush?  Someone clearly in his ear, telling him stories...

The club work at least two windows ahead. 100% certain they have identified a couple of potential targets should he be sold.

My concern is the price we are going to get for him. I don’t think we will get the full value we were hoping for. I also suspect that his agent has been working in the background and it may explain why Forest and QPR made such low bids as they believed it would force an outcome such as this.

The club work at least two windows ahead. 100% certain they have identified a couple of potential targets should he be sold.

My concern is the price we are going to get for him. I don’t think we will get the full value we were hoping for. I also suspect that his agent has been working in the background and it may explain why Forest and QPR made such low bids as they believed it would force an outcome such as this.

I think this situation could happen if there was only a single club interested. But we can realistically hold our asking price and see one of the clubs blink to avoid losing out on him. £1-2m extra is nothing for these clubs so I hope we hold our nerve.

This is big for us. Cave and deal for £3.5m-£4m and clubs will not take us seriously when they offer for players in future. This is exactly the tactics Celtic and Rangers use to get players for knockdown prices. Time is on OUR side on this one. Hold firm!

The breadman is dodgy as fuck... and he seems to have a taste for SPFL players.  It would not surprise me if he's had a hand in this.

Hopefully the release clause,if there is one,is significant,ie daft money-north of £5M you’d hope,and then some if we were smart enough when he signed his new contract.

If it’s met,then see you later-just hope we’ve a replacement lined up.

If it isn’t met,he stays,and hopefully knuckles down and gets on with it,then fucks off in January,for the right money for the club.

As much as players have all the power these days in most senses,signing a 5yr deal shifted it back to us.

I just hope the club don’t cave in for peanuts...

yes but if mckenna goes we come desperate for a left footed left sided centre back who can play left full back

if he stays we need more a right sided centre back who can cover at right full back

Something I said a few days ago, we should already be working on a right sided one just in case McKenna goes.

Consi then moves across until we sign a left sided one as well.

I honestly think that's why we signed Taylor as quick cover to let us sell McKenna and find another CB after. Problem obviously is Taylor and Devlin both injured.

So you feel the honourable thing for McKenna to have done would be negotiating with his next club illegally on the fly throughout last season, then presenting his transfer request last May?

Because that's the only way he could have had a deal in place by then end of last season.

• Downvote 1

Footballers either have faith in their ability, or they don’t.

If you’re one that doesn’t, and have a number of clubs chasing you off the back of a good season, then you’re going to push for that move because you’re scared the chance will pass you by.

If you’re one that does have faith, then why rush?

I don’t understand Scott’s actions here. He doesn’t strike me as someone that doubts his ability and I did t think he was a selfish arse. So I don’t get it.

It’s also ruining the afterglow from yesterday’s win.

So you feel the honourable thing for McKenna to have done would be negotiating with his next club illegally on the fly throughout last season, then presenting his transfer request last May?

Because that's the only way he could have had a deal in place by then end of last season.

Nope. Did I say he should have done what Jack done?

If he wanted to put in a transfer request he should have put it in before now that's for sure. Not 3 days before a huge European game where we only have 2 centre half's fit and he's one of them.

• Upvote 1

Pretty relaxed about this. He’s under contract for a few more years and if we don’t receive our valuation we don’t sell. McKenna isn’t good enough to throw the toys out the pram for a year as it will severely impact his next move.

Shit bag behaviour putting the transfer request in at this time though.

Somebody needs to just say to him that he is getting on a plane to Croatia in a day or two, end of story. This can be revisited in January.

Sort of agree.

We should just deal with it simply, calmly and without and drama.

Basically something like

1. Request? aye ok acknowledged.

2. When we get the right offer we'll let you speak to that club.

3. Let the club deal with any offers

4. We'll let your agent know what's happening

5. In the meantime you're still a key part of this team and we expect your full focus and professional attitude on winning games with Aberdeen.

These transfer requests are designed to create a reaction - best not give them one. No drama needed.

I seriously doubt McKenna would down tools and refuse to play.