Keeper On Trial - Sebastian Gessl

You think being a top goal scorer for Fleetwood town is a guarantee of EPL success and anything other than obscurity?

Apparently you are sufficiently familiar with, and conversant with the exact details of the relationships of 2nd division German clubs with their players to know exactly why he wasn't being selected, whether there were any "non-football" issues, how effective their goalkeeping coaches are etc.

I applaud you for your extensive knowledge and diligent research.

On the above basis I must obviously retract my statement that taking a cheap as chips keeper in for a no commitment trial and maybe even a short contract might be worth a punt in the hope of unearthing the kind of unidentified talent that people regularly complain that we don't attempt to find.

Taking in a really cheap cover keeper that might turn out to be good.....crazy talk!!!

What were your thoughts on Cosgrove by the way?....lowest tier of English football, probably compatible with 2nd tier of German?

He wasn't in the reserves though eh?

that wasn't my arguement though. You're talking about obscurity. Vardy was becoming well known in England for the goals he scored, they will have seen him playing first team football a LOT against teams they know about.

I was laughing at the comment about comparing Leicester finding Vardy, top scorer in a league from the same country, to us finding a reserve keeper from a 2nd tier club in another country.

Again, nonsense. We are talking about an ENGLISH club signing the top scorer in an ENGLISH league a few tiers down. That's hardly obscure. It's like us knowing about the Rory Mcallister for Peterhead.

What...the comment that was only made when you specifically asked for examples of players plucked from obscurity and I listed off the top of my head and you picked one to jump on?

Rory McAllister at Peterhead is obscure.

Fleetwood town relative to the EPL is obscure.

Seriously!?!?!?

Have a wee think eh?

that wasn't my arguement though. You're talking about obscurity. Vardy was becoming well known in England for the goals he scored, they will have seen him playing first team football a LOT against teams they know about.

So, to question your contention:

• No player has ever been found from your specific definition of obscurity?
  • We should stop looking at such players?
  • What do you think we would gain from that approach?

To put it another way....other than simple pedantry....what's your point?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was laughing at the comment about comparing Leicester finding Vardy, top scorer in a league from the same country, to us finding a reserve keeper from a 2nd tier club in another country.

Again, nonsense. We are talking about an ENGLISH club signing the top scorer in an ENGLISH league a few tiers down. That's hardly obscure. It's like us knowing about the Rory Mcallister for Peterhead.

Indeed. Wed be taking him from obscurity.

Peterhead - Aberdeen.

Rags to riches. Obscurity to stardom.

Obscurity -the state of being unknown, inconspicuous, or unimportant.

Peterhead. Montrose. Fleetwood Town. All obscure.

Fucking hell min take a rest. :clangers2:

What...the comment that was only made when you specifically asked for examples of players plucked from obscurity and I listed off the top of my head and you picked one to jump on?

Rory McAllister at Peterhead is obscure.

Fleetwood town relative to the EPL is obscure.

Seriously!?!?!?

Have a wee think eh?

You said Vardy, not Fleetwood. Leicester weren't signing Fleetwood ffs, they were taking a chance on a player who they've seen, has a history of banging goals in, and is relatively well known. Obscure would be a youth player from Fleetwood, not the divisions top scorer.

Do you even know what Obscure means?

You said Vardy, not Fleetwood. Leicester weren't signing Fleetwood ffs, they were taking a chance on a player who they've seen, has a history of banging goals in, and is relatively well known. Obscure would be a youth player from Fleetwood, not the divisions top scorer.

Do you even know what Obscure means?

Literally, idiomatically, or both?

The term "plucked from obscurity", which is precisely the phrase used, is widely accepted to mean anyone who is "relatively" unknown, making a step up to a much more prominent stage.

By your definition, the only people capable of being "plucked from obscurity" in a football context are people who have never played the game before.

What about the Lionel Messi and David Platt examples by the way...do they count?

...look you are evidently trying to be a clever cunt.

We can perhaps agree that you've achieved half of of that and move on.

Are we still letting people into the ROID club?

Simple statement of fact about not getting sarcasm.

....or were you looking to get a membership yourself?

Away back to enhancing your encyclopedic knowledge of lower German league reserve keepers and imploding pedantry about the precise definition and use of the word obscure.

Nothing but love for ya....but not in a gay way. I doubt you're my type.

Simple statement of fact about not getting sarcasm.

....or were you looking to get a membership yourself?

Away back to enhancing your encyclopedic knowledge of lower German league reserve keepers and imploding pedantry about the precise definition and use of the word obscure.

Nothing but love for ya....but not in a gay way. I doubt you're my type.

You're a constant disappointment.