Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

1 hour ago, RUL said:

But it’s up to clubs like us to act outwith that model? I’m surprised Robson hasn’t been including more youth. 

soneone like Findlay Marshall was on fringes under Goodwin now nowhere to be seen. 

we either say it’s all about results or are committed to developing players. 

I thought the same. Thought Bavidge would of had more time too. Hopefully we beat hearts and that will be 2 free games to give people a chance. Bit disappointed with lack of youth been brought into our 18 considering most of the senior players on bench never get anywhere near the pitch anyway.

Less loan players next season hopefully, and give 2 or 3 youngsters the opportunity to fill their places in the squad. Myslovic and Markanday have been a bit of a waste really - could've had couple of our own youngsters getting match day experience and occasional minutes. I guess once you bring the players in on loan there's some kind of agreement that they'll at least make the bench.

When you see the stick Duncan is getting right now (yes out of position) & even when results are/were ok you wonder how much any other young players would be getting right now from all these posters wanting players ‘blooded’ 

Right now results are huge. 

I’m certainly not against playing youth players but at what cost is what has to be weighed.

should be up to the SFA to implement a minimum quota of mins/players for ‘youth/home grown’ players in a season at clubs

Problem is we cannot trust the SFA to ‘fix’ this kind of thing without it only being done with the arse cheeks in mind

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

When you see the stick Duncan is getting right now (yes out of position) & even when results are/were ok you wonder how much any other young players would be getting right now from all these posters wanting players ‘blooded’ 

Right now results are huge. 

I’m certainly not against playing youth players but at what cost is what has to be weighed.

should be up to the SFA to implement a minimum quota of mins/players for ‘youth/home grown’ players in a season at clubs

Problem is we cannot trust the SFA to ‘fix’ this kind of thing without it only being done with the arse cheeks in mind

Fair point. Something has to change. Think all clubs need to do more

7 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

It's the overall structure of Scottish Football that's the problem. 

Fergie blooded Black, Cooper, Hewitt and Simpson when they were developing youngsters in their teens.

That doesn't appear to happen too often now adays, which is to the extreme detrimental of our club and our game.

Remember reading a recent article highlighting how few players under 21 had been played by the 12 Premiership this season. Absolutely shocking and short sighted approach that cannot help the clubs or the game in the medium to long term. 

Unfortunately its not just Scottish football even down here many youngsters don't get too many opportunities.  Personally i think a lot of that is down to so much pressure in modern day football , managers who play too many youngsters or the odd one particularly in defence risk losing games and thus losing their job.  Youngsters like all of us make/made mistakes that how they learn but people want results and now.  

Having a bigger league could help ease some pressure for example at the moment only livingstone and motherwell have nothing to play for, which for some is pointless but it does allow them to try out a few younger players if they wish.  

3 hours ago, englishred said:

Unfortunately its not just Scottish football even down here many youngsters don't get too many opportunities.  Personally i think a lot of that is down to so much pressure in modern day football , managers who play too many youngsters or the odd one particularly in defence risk losing games and thus losing their job.  Youngsters like all of us make/made mistakes that how they learn but people want results and now.  

Having a bigger league could help ease some pressure for example at the moment only livingstone and motherwell have nothing to play for, which for some is pointless but it does allow them to try out a few younger players if they wish.  

The difference in prize money over a couple of places is huge for a club like Livingston though.

They should invert the prize money awards. The team that goes down gets the most, the team that finishes top gets next to nothing - but they won the league and the Champions League riches (which should be divided up a bit more). 

Celtic might buy one player with the league prize money this summer. Or less than half a player.

Another team might buy 10 from the lower leagues and spread the money through the leagues to the benefit of the grass roots,  rather than filling agents pockets 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, The Cockney Don said:

We want Reserve League and we want it NOW.

We do. 

Colt team shite means the players are stuck in the colt teams ‘between windows’ aren’t they? I could be wrong though but at least with reserve league, players are interchangeable there at any time of season & for coming back from injury etc.

6 hours ago, The Cockney Don said:

We want Reserve League and we want it NOW.

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

We do. 

Colt team shite means the players are stuck in the colt teams ‘between windows’ aren’t they? I could be wrong though but at least with reserve league, players are interchangeable there at any time of season & for coming back from injury etc.

We might want to it but unfortunately the club doesn't...

https://www.aberdeenlive.news/sport/football/aberdeen-opt-out-spfl-reserve-7384943

Hopefully showing these lads that a pathway exists from Aberdeen onto good clubs will help. Surely staying with your family, developing at your local club is a good thing. Being able to now show a progression to clubs like Liverpool, Bologna etc will help. Better than going to a club like palace/Leeds/Watford and never being heard of again.

3 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Hopefully showing these lads that a pathway exists from Aberdeen onto good clubs will help. Surely staying with your family, developing at your local club is a good thing. Being able to now show a progression to clubs like Liverpool, Bologna etc will help. Better than going to a club like palace/Leeds/Watford and never being heard of again.

Absolutely and getting a couple hundred games under your belt before going south if possible. McKenna is a good example as well as McCarthy and MacArthur who left Hamilton years ago both had good careers down here. 

Barron should take note and get his head down 

15 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

I see Blair McKenzie signed a new contract at the weekend, contrary to the rumours that he was off to Crystal Palace.

Where you seeing that?
Assume probably a two year deal with a view to a loan move next season to someone like Elgin or Peterhead?

7 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Good to see Bavidge sign a pro deal at the club. Hopefully can get more minutes at senior level next season either at the club or away on loan 

Would Elgin/Peterhead be roughly his level?

I doubt we are punting him out on loan given he could have signed for bigger/better sides.