Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That’s not what Alan Burrows suggested in an earlier tweet.

Talking about a deal negotiated by Steven Gunn that’ll benefit us later potentially 

I took that to mean maybe back on loan but sell on sounds more probable after reading the last few posts.

1 minute ago, daytripping said:

I took that to mean maybe back on loan but sell on sounds more probable after reading the last few posts.

I reckon there’s a sell on.

That’s why I don’t understand folk who want him to flop.

Could be worth millions to the club in a few years.

We’ve lost him regardless so better he does well & we benefit as opposed to him failing & we get hee haw. 

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We’ve lost him regardless so better he does well & we benefit as opposed to him failing & we get hee haw. 

Hee haw sounds weegie, you one of them?

Kids called weans?

• Haha 1
  • Dildo 1
7 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Because we invested years and years into his development and he doesn't have the decency to stick around for the first few years of his professional career

That's why 

I cant understand anyone not being furious at that

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Because we invested years and years into his development and he doesn't have the decency to stick around for the first few years of his professional career

That's why 

Lucky if he played for us for 18 months pal. We binned him as a kid and he went to Dundee first. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Millertime said:

That's why 

We also binned him off so eh went to Dundee

Least he's earned us SOME cash

Would you rather he plays for us for years and then leaves on a free?

Yes it's annoying and I wished we had the chance to see him in the dons top, but at least we have some financial gains

Financially it's a no brainer for the kid, and even career wise it's a no brainer - he goes down there, earns a lot more money, and even if he doesn't make it to their first team, in about 3-4 years he can come back up the road and probably find himself back at the same level as he would've been at had he stayed here.

At least Bavidge signed on rather than jumping ship, so I guess we can compare and contrast their careers from this point on and see who develops better.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Financially it's a no brainer for the kid, and even career wise it's a no brainer - he goes down there, earns a lot more money, and even if he doesn't make it to their first team, in about 3-4 years he can come back up the road and probably find himself back at the same level as he would've been at had he stayed here.

This. Stay at afc, doesn’t work out you end up at Elgin or Turriff etc. 

we saw it when we loaned edmondson from Leeds ourselves, just being at that level gets you more opportunities when your on the way out 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Surely likes of Ramsay are examples to top prospects in our youth system? Quicker route to first team football in a relatively high profile league. We've got the training facilities these days too.

See Leeds signed a lad from Accies too. 

There are 27 category 1 youth academies in the country, he's joining one of the better ones in a league that should allow him minutes if he progresses well.  The alternative is being 6th choice here, possibly being loaned out to some shite in the lower leagues.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Granite95 said:

Would you rather he plays for us for years and then leaves on a free?

Of course, you wouldn't?

It's a moot point now the deal is done and this particular situation is a little bit unique in terms of the age/status of Pirie but the general argument is the same, I don't get this new fixation with selling players irrespective of the club model. In the player's position of course moving to Leeds now is clearly the better option in terms of development and finance so you can't be too critical of that decision.

If he's as good as is being anticipated and there was a definitive choice of seeing him develop in to a first team player and giving us a few seasons of goals, excitement and potentially silverware then leave for free to go on to bigger and better things OR go now and net us a couple of hundred k then it's a complete no brainer for me.

What would mean more to you? A Lewis Pirie hat trick at the Beach End v the Huns or a £500k transfer fee? A Lewis Pirie winner in the cup final v the tattie munchers or a £1m transfer fee? Where do you draw the line of the benefit of retaining him (or any other player for that matter) versus cashing in? Look back in 20 years time and remember the season he scored 25 goals and scored the winner to relegate Hearts (again) or look back and say oh yea, I remember him, never played for the first team but we got a million quid in an add on from some deal our DOF made when he left. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
12 hours ago, VinegarStrokes said:

Of course, you wouldn't?

It's a moot point now the deal is done and this particular situation is a little bit unique in terms of the age/status of Pirie but the general argument is the same, I don't get this new fixation with selling players irrespective of the club model. In the player's position of course moving to Leeds now is clearly the better option in terms of development and finance so you can't be too critical of that decision.

If he's as good as is being anticipated and there was a definitive choice of seeing him develop in to a first team player and giving us a few seasons of goals, excitement and potentially silverware then leave for free to go on to bigger and better things OR go now and net us a couple of hundred k then it's a complete no brainer for me.

What would mean more to you? A Lewis Pirie hat trick at the Beach End v the Huns or a £500k transfer fee? A Lewis Pirie winner in the cup final v the tattie munchers or a £1m transfer fee? Where do you draw the line of the benefit of retaining him (or any other player for that matter) versus cashing in? Look back in 20 years time and remember the season he scored 25 goals and scored the winner to relegate Hearts (again) or look back and say oh yea, I remember him, never played for the first team but we got a million quid in an add on from some deal our DOF made when he left. 

Food for thought 

On 7/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, sooth_stander said:

There is that aspect to it but if he (and his dad) were pissed off when he was released by us, then why did he bother returning, when he could have simply remained at Dundee?

I'd imagine playing for a club nearer home while the kid was still at school would have been a factor. 

Possibly decided to come back until he finished school and then make a decision from there. 

Also, we're better than Dundee so he'd probably have had better quality development here during that last period before he turned pro.