Aberdeen 3 - 4 Celtic

No I agree. Their basic wage would have been higher. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

But they won fuck all.

Not exactly true that they won fuck all. Celtic won 4 league titles in the 8 years Fergie was at Aberdeen. They also won 2 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup. Rangers won 4 League Cups and 2 Scottish Cups but zero league titles. Domestically we won 3 leagues titles, 4 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup. Domestically you could argue Celtic got the better of those years (8-7 in trophies won to Aberdeen but 4-3 to Celtic in league titles).

Where we stand out in that era is our 2 European trophies. Those wins elevated us head and shoulders above any other Scottish club of that era.

To a degree, yes.

However, Aberdeen didn't have money in the 80's and the rest is history.

What we did have is a manager who wasn't scared to have a go at the arse cheeks and demanded the best from his players.

Apart from we paid record fees for players and paid fees way in excess of what we can dream of now? That and as mentioned above we paid wages on a par or better than the Old Firm

Without his protective hooped clothing on he's a fkn pussy & a very average player. He thrives on his hype built up by their media

So he was crap at Hibs before he moved? He’s a good player if you think otherwise fill yer boots

Show me the evidence please as that sounds like West coast propaganda to mitigate their total humiliation at our hands back then. Put up or shut up! 

It isn't even recent knowledge. In the Fergie era Miller was on £600/week basic, McLeish, Strachan and Leighton on £550/week and the rest of the first team squad between £400 and £500/week. All with 50% bonuses for a point and 100% bonus for a win. Celtic and oldco couldn't get close to what we were paying....think their highest earners were only around the £400/week with most nearer £300/week and far less generous bonuses.

It is also well documented that when Man U were in negotiations to take Fergie and Knox to Old Trafford, their directors were horrified to find out that we were paying Knox more as our  assistant than they were the man they had just fired as manager, Ron Atkinson.

It isn't even recent knowledge. In the Fergie era Miller was on £600/week basic, McLeish, Strachan and Leighton on £550/week and the rest of the first team squad between £400 and £500/week. All with 50% bonuses for a point and 100% bonus for a win. Celtic and oldco couldn't get close to what we were paying....think their highest earners were only around the £400/week with most nearer £300/week and far less generous bonuses.

It is also well documented that when Man U were in negotiations to take Fergie and Knox to Old Trafford, their directors were horrified to find out that we were paying Knox more as our  assistant than they were the man they had just fired as manager, Ron Atkinson.

You seem to know your stuff TC and I accept without hesitation that the Dons were on good money, but call me Mr Picky if you like as I would like to see the source for those figures as club AGM's in those days while revealing the overall wage bill never gave out the figures for individual player's wages.

Not exactly true that they won fuck all. Celtic won 4 league titles in the 8 years Fergie was at Aberdeen. They also won 2 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup. Rangers won 4 League Cups and 2 Scottish Cups but zero league titles. Domestically we won 3 leagues titles, 4 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup. Domestically you could argue Celtic got the better of those years (8-7 in trophies won to Aberdeen but 4-3 to Celtic in league titles).

Where we stand out in that era is our 2 European trophies. Those wins elevated us head and shoulders above any other Scottish club of that era.

I know but I just really fucking enjoyed typing it.  Once Fergie won his first title though in 80 there was only really one show in town over the next 4 or 5 years.  I'd argue that Dundee United were the second best team overall in that period but they bottled more opportunities to win trophies

It is also well documented that when Man U were in negotiations to take Fergie and Knox to Old Trafford, their directors were horrified to find out that we were paying Knox more as our assistant than they were the man they had just fired as manager, Ron Atkinson.

@@Ten Caat

That is what was going about at the time and you look like you know your stuff

I also seem to remember Milker being offered £900 a week to go to Sunderland or someone else but he opted to stay

Do you remember anything about that or was it just hearsay?

@@Ten Caat

I also seem to remember Milker being offered £900 a week to go to Sunderland or someone else but he opted to stay

Do you remember anything about that or was it just hearsay?

Miller has spoken in the past about the Sunderland offer which appears to have been real.  Not sure about the £900 pw but maybe Miller has put that figure out in later interviews etc

@@Ten Caat

The trouble with this whole debate is we are in danger of accepting hearsay and the common gossip from forty years ago concerning the players wages as fact. That is why I would like to see some reliable published evidence from the time confirming "what everyone knew" rather than a whole lot of figures that are being bandied about as reliable facts.

The trouble with this whole debate is we are in danger of accepting hearsay and the common gossip from forty years ago concerning the players wages as fact. That is why I would like to see some reliable published evidence from the time confirming "what everyone knew" rather than a whole lot of figures that are being bandied about as reliable facts.

I doubt whether any of that evidence exists unless any of the players still have their payslips

Which is great, but do you have published evidence that their was a big financial gap at that point?

The only documented evidence I remember from the time was when Charlie Nicholas in 83 was offered a new contract taking him up to the giddy heights of £400/week alongside I think Aitken and McStay. His agent sold the story about 6 months after he had signed for Arsenal on £1200/week and included a copy of the (unsigned) Celtic contract as proof.

The Sunderland offer was confirmed by Miller in an interview in the Herald with Graeme Spiers and was in 1980. No actual figures quoted except he would have earned around 3 times what he was on at Aberdeen. He took a look and hated the place, also turned out the Sunderland manager hadn't even seen him play in person. Also was said that a year earlier in '79, John Greig had offered to make him oldco's captain and highest paid player but that he never entertained it because it only amounted to a very small pay rise and he got significantly more from Aberdeen after winning the league in 80.

Particularly when mixed with the short trouser look.

I'm a fan of some nice tapered dress trousers, socks showing with some trainers. It's the lack of sack that really gets to me.