Manchester United v Lille

ZeroTolerance

So Lille in a spot of bother with UEFA in all liklihood after 1) an attempted walk-off and 2) crowd trouble.

For my money the ref was spot-on with both "controversial" decisions.

- clear 2-handed push on Vidic for Lille disallowed goal and

- Lille defence caught sleeping for the quick free kick by Giggs

Lille really should have no complaints at the result or if UEFA throw the book at them

have to watch the highlights but sounds a fairly controversial night.

From BBC:

But the main talking point of a drab first 45 minutes were the worrying scenes involving United's supporters, with too many appearing to be packed in lower tier of the away section.

Dozens of United supporters were concerned, and French police appeared to respond to a genuine security problem by firing off tear gas.

The situation was eventually resolved and the game continued.

Giggs curled in a quick free-kick after 83 minutes while Lille were still assembling their defensive wall.

Lille players, furious that an earlier header by Peter Odemwingie had been ruled out, walked off the pitch as the last 16 first leg clash boiled over.

Lille were furious, and it appeared they were on the point of walking off in protests as several players walked towards the dug-out.

They eventually returned, but even then there were ugly scenes as United's players, including Gary Neville, were pelted with missiles.

Living in England-shire I watched this one live.

The first-half crowd trouble was nothing to see - a handful of United fans on the pitchside because the bottom tier was over filled. Once the french police realised that it wasn't hooligans they opened another section of the crowd. A bit of a non-issue and nothing to see.

The game was, more or less, dire with few clear-cut chances. United had most of the game bar a 15-20 minute spell in the 2nd half.

The controversial refereeing decisions were - as I said before - not at all controversial in my mind. Ref absolutely spot on.

Fergie was raging in the post-match interview and wants Lille booted out the competition for the 2nd half walkout and resulting crowd trouble - lots of missiles.

Living in England-shire I watched this one live.

The first-half crowd trouble was nothing to see - a handful of United fans on the pitchside because the bottom tier was over filled. Once the french police realised that it wasn't hooligans they opened another section of the crowd. A bit of a non-issue and nothing to see.

The game was, more or less, dire with few clear-cut chances. United had most of the game bar a 15-20 minute spell in the 2nd half.

The controversial refereeing decisions were - as I said before - not at all controversial in my mind. Ref absolutely spot on.

Fergie was raging in the post-match interview and wants Lille booted out the competition for the 2nd half walkout and resulting crowd trouble - lots of missiles.

Certainly wouldnt say the crowd thing was a non-isse! Did you hear the reporter from touchside? What he said was that there was a gate opened to let Man Utd fans in which in turn led to there being to many of them in the bottom tier and causing crushing. The Man Utd supporters tried to climb over the fencing to escape being crushed which the French police seen as them invading the pitch and letting off the tear gas as a result of this. Eventually it got sorted out.

Agree it was a pish game like.

The things being thrown on was pretty bad and Neville got hit on the back of the head with something. Also seen when Rooney was going down the right wing what looked like a flag pole being thrown on amongst other things??!! Hope they get what's coming to them! :blahblah1:

Just shows that seating stands aren't intrinsically any safer than standing sections if you have the same incompetent police and stewards in charge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/6380837.stm

Manchester United fans were involved in a security scare during the Champions League tie against Lille amid scares they were being crushed in the stands.

A problem erupted 15 minutes into the match at Lens' Stade Felix-Bollaert, with some fans being pushed against the 10-foot-high metal security fences.

Fans reacted angrily, prompting riot police to fire tear gas into the stand.

However, after two fans, one an elderly woman, were lifted over the barriers to safety, the unrest was quelled.

Television reports suggested the gates at the back of the stand had been opened by police to allow Red Devils supporters with tickets for the home section of the stadium to sit with their own fans.

United had expressed concerns about the basic facilities at the ground before the match.

The club was surprised Lille were allowed to move the game to the compact 42,000 stadium in northern France rather than a larger, more modern venue like the Stade de France.

Manchester United secretary Ken Ramsden revealed the club would meet with Uefa and Football Association officials after the game to discuss the incident.

A Manchester United club official, at the match, said he had not been made aware of any injuries to fans.

Certainly wouldnt say the crowd thing was a non-isse! Did you hear the reporter from touchside? What he said was that there was a gate opened to let Man Utd fans in which in turn led to there being to many of them in the bottom tier and causing crushing. The Man Utd supporters tried to climb over the fencing to escape being crushed which the French police seen as them invading the pitch and letting off the tear gas as a result of this. Eventually it got sorted out.

Agree it was a pish game like.

The things being thrown on was pretty bad and Neville got hit on the back of the head with something. Also seen when Rooney was going down the right wing what looked like a flag pole being thrown on amongst other things??!! Hope they get what's coming to them! :blahblah1:

Apologies, my comment was misleading. The incident sounded serious enough but from a "watching the highlights" point of view there was nothing much to see.

For those that want to watch English teams in Europe, when a Scottish game is on ITV Scotland, use Channel 993 (ITV 1 London) on Sky.

Anyways, the major talking points of a, football-wise, uneventful game :-

1 - Security allowed too many Man United fans into the lower tier of the stand they occupied, which led to some worried fans clambering over the fences onto the pitchside. The French police over-reacted (English fans reputation coming into play?) and were clearly shown hitting some United fans with batons (supposedly tear gas was used as well) when it was obvious there was potential for problems in that part of the crowd due to the amount of fans in that section.

The problem was quickly rectified by allowing United fans into the upper tier of this stand. UEFA are surely going to take action against this as United and Lille officials were meeting with UEFA representatives immediately after the game.

2 - Lille forward Odemwingie (sp.) had a goal disallowed for a 2-handed push in the back of Nemanja Vidic. For me, the ref (who I thought had a good game) got this spot on, as it was clear Odemwingie gained an advantage by bundling Vidic out of the way.

For those who say there was nothing wrong with it, if it had been the other way around, and Vidic denied the player a goalscoring opportunity by pushing him to the ground, would it have been a penalty?

3 - The United winner came from a quick Ryan Giggs freekick, 'Henry-style', when he bent it over the wall that was still being organised by the goalkeeper.

From what the TV cameras caught (and they caught everything), Giggs appeared to be asking the ref if he could hit it quickly as Rooney set the ball down. The ref proceeded to turn and walk away, at which point Giggs bent it over the wall into the opposite corner.

The ref did NOT blow his whistle, but i'm under the belief that the advantage is with the attacking team in these situations, and the whistle does not have to be blown unless the ref says so?!? There is also something about defending players having their back to the ball posing a danger, but i'm not entirely sure of the in's and out's of this rule.

Anyway, Lille protested for a minute or two, and then went on to kick-off, where they booted the ball directly out of play, and into the arms of one of their coaching staff. This guy then started calling the Lille players off the park, which was followed by a few minutes madness as no-one had any idea if the game was going to finish or not.

This was followed by the Lille supporters then raining 'missiles' (I hate that term) onto the pitch. Gary Neville was struck with something at a throw in, and the area behind Edwin Van Der Sar's goal was littered in all sorts of stuff. What looked like a pole was thrown on too.

Again, UEFA will surely throw the book at Lille, but I personally wouldn't like to see them thrown out of the competition, as is being mentioned. The argument against that would obviously be, that if this were an English/Dutch team, they'd be binned in an instant.

For those that want to watch English teams in Europe, when a Scottish game is on ITV Scotland, use Channel 993 (ITV 1 London) on Sky.

Anyways, the major talking points of a, football-wise, uneventful game :-

1 - Security allowed too many Man United fans into the lower tier of the stand they occupied, which led to some worried fans clambering over the fences onto the pitchside. The French police over-reacted (English fans reputation coming into play?) and were clearly shown hitting some United fans with batons (supposedly tear gas was used as well) when it was obvious there was potential for problems in that part of the crowd due to the amount of fans in that section.

The problem was quickly rectified by allowing United fans into the upper tier of this stand. UEFA are surely going to take action against this as United and Lille officials were meeting with UEFA representatives immediately after the game.

2 - Lille forward Odemwingie (sp.) had a goal disallowed for a 2-handed push in the back of Nemanja Vidic. For me, the ref (who I thought had a good game) got this spot on, as it was clear Odemwingie gained an advantage by bundling Vidic out of the way.

For those who say there was nothing wrong with it, if it had been the other way around, and Vidic denied the player a goalscoring opportunity by pushing him to the ground, would it have been a penalty?

3 - The United winner came from a quick Ryan Giggs freekick, 'Henry-style', when he bent it over the wall that was still being organised by the goalkeeper.

From what the TV cameras caught (and they caught everything), Giggs appeared to be asking the ref if he could hit it quickly as Rooney set the ball down. The ref proceeded to turn and walk away, at which point Giggs bent it over the wall into the opposite corner.

The ref did NOT blow his whistle, but i'm under the belief that the advantage is with the attacking team in these situations, and the whistle does not have to be blown unless the ref says so?!? There is also something about defending players having their back to the ball posing a danger, but i'm not entirely sure of the in's and out's of this rule.

Anyway, Lille protested for a minute or two, and then went on to kick-off, where they booted the ball directly out of play, and into the arms of one of their coaching staff. This guy then started calling the Lille players off the park, which was followed by a few minutes madness as no-one had any idea if the game was going to finish or not.

This was followed by the Lille supporters then raining 'missiles' (I hate that term) onto the pitch. Gary Neville was struck with something at a throw in, and the area behind Edwin Van Der Sar's goal was littered in all sorts of stuff. What looked like a pole was thrown on too.

Again, UEFA will surely throw the book at Lille, but I personally wouldn't like to see them thrown out of the competition, as is being mentioned. The argument against that would obviously be, that if this were an English/Dutch team, they'd be binned in an instant.

Do you also have a smart arse answer as to what to do if, like me, they dont have Sky? :blahblah1:

And did you just read through all the posts in this thread and take bits out of them and put them together cos thats what it looks like. But hey your entitled to post what you like. :checkit:

refereeing decisions were - as I said before - not at all controversial in my mind. Ref absolutely spot on.

Agree with your first comment, going by the book, both decisions were correct.

Fergie however, never said he wanted them booted out, he said that he thought Uefa would need to do something about the whole incident, but said he wouldn't like to go into talking about them being chucked out...

Living in England-shire I watched this one live.Living in England-shire I watched this one live.

Apologies, my comment was misleading. The incident sounded serious enough but from a "watching the highlights" point of view there was nothing much to see.

Did you watch it live or not?

I watched it live and it was clear to see there was bother in the stand...

Do you also have a smart arse answer as to what to do if, like me, they dont have Sky? :dance:

H'min, it wasn't spposed to be a smart-ass answer. Not everyone thinks about the footie being shown on that channel

Notice your from 'Peterheid', so that prob explains why you don't have Sky, :applause:

And did you just read through all the posts in this thread and take bits out of them and put them together cos thats what it looks like. But hey your entitled to post what you like. :dance::

No you tool, I watched the f*cking game live, and posted without reading the rest of this thread.

:tossr:

Certainly wouldnt class it as a "clear" two handed push. The guys arms are not oustretched, its more the momentum of his body that takes him into Vidic, but not enough contact to merit a foul.

Put it like this, if it had been defender coming in the back of the attacker in a similar manner, would it have been a pen? :applause:

I think the ref made the correct decisions and dont know what the fuss was about really.

The ref walked away from the free kick which symbols the team is allowed to take it unless told other wise and Man Utd must have not been told this.

:applause: The proclaimer you better watch as people dont like you posting anymore than 3 posts a day, if you break this they will start a thread about you!! Beware, i was in that boat!! :dance: :drink:

Am not a snitch but he's averaging 22 posts a day!! Arrest him!!! :dance:

would they f*ck

They f*cking would! You're trying to tell me that if the following happened in England, they WOULDN'T be kicked out?!?

[7] So what are Lille going to do about this, part 2? Read only this if you read one thing today and do not let what happened in Lille be brushed under the carpet.

Friday, February 23, 2007

One decent Red and his account of how he and his family missed the game, gassed and attacked by baton happy police. Instead of deflecting the blame with ridiculous and false accuations, Lille should answer these stories. If any jounro (and we know there are many) reading wants to get in touch with Fergus to highlight this story, we can pass on his details - feedback@rednews.co.uk

Fergus' story

Last Saturday evening straight after the Reading cup match myself, my wife, mother and father in law and 3 month old son, set of on what was a suprise trip for a 65th birthday present for my father in law, who has been watching United for near on 60 years both home, away and in europe. The most placid, timid, un-violent chap you could ever meet.

We were to spend two days in Disneyland then drive up to Lille the morning of the match and spend the day and night of the match there.

Sounds like the action of your hardened football hooligans doesnt it? The sort that deserved to be gassed at point blank range in the face attacked by baton happy police thugs and set up on by dogs.

It also coincided with my sons first ever european trip with United. Due to previous experiences in France and espically in Lens I decided before we set out that he wouldnt be coming to the match, instead he would stay at the hotel with his nana, but I still felt proud that i could take him out on the day of the match and in years to come he could tell all his friends that he did his first Euro away when he was 3 months old. I know his grandparents and mother, all long time season ticket holders were also proud.

As it turned out it what was meant to be a great occasion turned into one of the most frightining experiences I have ever encountered.

Me, myself, have watched United in 30 different countries on 3 different continents, my wife is not to far behind me, we actually met on a one such european trip to Copenhagen in 1998.

I

Fake tickets

drunk fans

ramshackle stadium

overzelous police

seemsl ike a poor show from all concerned.

I'm sure the majority of Man Utd fans were well behaved, however if the badly behaved minority didn't have fake tickets or weren't guttered and pushing about the place and genrrally causing concern none of this would have happened

maybe Man Utd would be better concered in sorting out the trouble makers in their own support rather than throwing sh*tfists at Lille ?

As for the goals, i though the lille goal was harsh - i;d be furious if AFC had a goal chopped off like that, but simmilary i'd be angry if someone scored against us like that

as for giggs goal, well there was, to me anyway, no clear signal from the Ref allowing the freekick to be taken, as long as he gives a CLEAR signal, there's no trouble in taking a quick free kick.

As far as I can gather the fake tickets story is a complete red herring. Other reports indicate that the United end wasn't full and hundreds of fans with real tickets did not get in.

completely incompetent stewarding and policing is very much to the fore here.

It wasn't full but fans were getting crushed?

Archived