Over pricing at football matches

BobbyBiscuit

Interesting reading:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2020869,00.html

Premiership chairmen will be forced into cutting 'obscene' ticket prices because fed-up fans have had enough of being ripped off and the game has reached a tipping point. That is the view of two senior figures at top-six clubs in the world's most expensive football league, both of whom predict price cuts all round next season.

'It is a serious issue that has reached saturation point across the country,' said Phil Gartside, chairman of Bolton. 'We feel duty bound to make a stance by reducing the cost for our season ticket holders, and I'm sure other clubs will follow suit next season and listen to public opinion.'

The big clubs are feeling the heat, too. On a day when Manchester United fans protested about being charged

2 and a half years ago, but when I went back last year it was still the same - every league game (Nancy).

Last year it was a big game too, Nancy - Lille...

Thats great value. I was watching the tolouse marseille game on setanta the other night and the standard was pretty good, much better than the dross we watch over here. The french have a great attitude to things like that. the moment things get out in order they organise themselves in effective protest until it gets sorted out. Eg when their lorry drivers blocked the ports. Can you imagine what would happen if french clubs tried to push scottish footie tickets prices?!?

Thats great value. I was watching the tolouse marseille game on setanta the other night and the standard was pretty good, much better than the dross we watch over here. The french have a great attitude to things like that. the moment things get out in order they organise themselves in effective protest until it gets sorted out. Eg when their lorry drivers blocked the ports. Can you imagine what would happen if french clubs tried to push scottish footie tickets prices?!?

Outrage.

I heard apparently the French are bringing in a smoking ban. That will never happen!

French football brings in a ridiculous amount of money from TV though!

If the SPL was bringing in that, i'm sure some of our clubs would hap[pily drop their ticket prices!

Think that's the outrage though - it's in England... where they too get sh*tloads from TV money. Still costs an absolute bomb. My brother's boss paid

Aye the Germans have it all sussed.

You can stand in standing areas without soem knobhead steward coming over and telling you to sit down or your out,

you can have a beer or 2 while watching the game - whcich we can't, thanks to the rioting OF scum!

All for about what 15 euros (how do you get the euros sign up next tot he no. 4!?? haha)

Full houses pretty much at all the grounds too...

Aye the Germans have it all sussed.

You can stand in standing areas without soem knobhead steward coming over and telling you to sit down or your out,

you can have a beer or 2 while watching the game - whcich we can't, thanks to the rioting OF scum!

All for about what 15 euros (how do you get the euros sign up next tot he no. 4!?? haha)

Full houses pretty much at all the grounds too...

My dads mate is German and he has a season ticket for shalke, but instead of a season ticket book they have a swipe card, on this swipe card you can also buy beers and food etc..etc.. like a credit card. Pretty smart idea if you ask me. Saves fiddling about with your season ticket.

Guest LondonScottish
Until recently Schalke were sponsored by a major opil company that has a major presence in Aberdeen.

Don't know why I mention this............ :laughing:

Don't understand why someone like BP with a profit of probably

Guest LondonScottish
We din't have sponsors when we were really good. d*ck Donald thought it was unseemly and overruled Chris Anderson who wanted to do it, as well as other things like putting a big electronic score board in the open corners of the South Stand

Chris Anderson was THE man through our heady era. What I'd give to have someone like him pulling the strings now, we wouldn't be close to the sh*t we're in. GRHS.

My dads mate is German and he has a season ticket for shalke, but instead of a season ticket book they have a swipe card, on this swipe card you can also buy beers and food etc..etc.. like a credit card

Same deal in Nancy, which is cool.

On another (lovely for me) note - Nancy put Schalke out of the Uefa Cup this season :laughing: Get in.

So what was the deal with you living in france anyhow? and more importantly why the hell did you come back?

I came back for uni... which has gone so, so well... :laughing:

I just went out there for a year off after high school... learnt the language, got pissed a lot - it was great. Kinda a shame I had to come back but I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes living in Aberdeen...?

No oil company will sponsor any team in the UK outright, certainly not Aberdeen, it's not within their mindset no matter how much money they make. As a share holder of a few, I certainly wouldn't appreciate wasting money on sponsoring a football team.

Gazprom will be sponsoring Schalke because they will want to raise their gas import profile in the country and try and secure future deals that way. Don't think it hasn't been done for a political reason.

Did E-On not used to sponsor Dortmund as well, similar energy company idea?

Shell have been sponsoring the club for years through the club in the community scheme. They've even got their logo up on the main entrance to the stadium. BP and Total have advertising signs all round the ground too, as do the likes of Weatherford and I think, Halliburton. They may not be shirt sponsors, but they are contributing on a yearly basis.

There was also that infamous rumour that Total were going to pay David Ginola's wages if he signed for us in return for using him for PR stuff.

I came back for uni... which has gone so, so well... :applause:

I just went out there for a year off after high school... learnt the language, got pissed a lot - it was great. Kinda a shame I had to come back but I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes living in Aberdeen...?

Its horses for courses mate, i lived in the deen for 3 years. the first two were really good but the 3rd not so. put it this way though i always stay for a night out after a home game though.

Archived