Lets all laugh at Hearts

10 hours ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

We've all had this debate. Glad you enjoyed the Fergie years. 

We've actually won more major trophies than Hearts since the Fergie years. Not that it's much to crow about 4 major trophies since that 1986 Scottish Cup final win against Hearts (Fergie's final trophy with AFC) is a horrendous record.

We were actually less than 90 minutes away from winning the league 5 years after Fergie left which is easily the closest any non Glasgow team has come to winning the league since the great man departed Scottish football. Unfortunately Alex Smith bottled it that day and he never recovered from that at AFC. We finished runners up to the big spending 9IAR huns under Smith and twice with Willie Miller in the 90's. We were easily the second best team in Scotland in the first half of the 90's a long time after Fergie left. We have had some very good teams post Fergie you just seem oblivious to it. And yes I know we have some right proper shit ones too. As have all the other non Glasgow clubs.

• Upvote 4
49 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Do you think Hearts will catch up with Aberdeen in major honours?

Aberdeen 19 Hearts 16

I always say it's 19-11 as that's the score since Aberdeen were formed. We are actually 19-18 against Hearts and Hibs combined since we were formed. Not that it counts for much the overall figures are embarrassing for the next 3 so called biggest clubs in the country after the bigot brothers. It rather depressingly just highlights how much those two have virtually always dominated the game up here and continue to do so. 

16 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

I always say it's 19-11 as that's the score since Aberdeen were formed. We are actually 19-18 against Hearts and Hibs combined since we were formed. Not that it counts for much the overall figures are embarrassing for the next 3 so called biggest clubs in the country after the bigot brothers. It rather depressingly just highlights how much those two have virtually always dominated the game up here and continue to do so. 

good point, so in essence, we gave them a 5 trophy head start and we're still 3 up on them. ;)

Among Hearts fans arguments for them being bigger is that they have a better stadium FFS. They really are a strange club.

They also claim to have more "internationally starred" players throughout history. What the fuck is that? I don't recall Hearts ever having a player of Willie Miller's standing nor  have they ever signed a player of Gillhaus' ilk, who the season before arriving played in the final of the European Cup and won it. 

They don't take things into account like the fact they have become a bit of a yo-yo team whilst Aberdeen have never been relegated, or record transfer fees paid, or that half of their honours was in the first half of the last century. 

Fine, they won WW1 singlehandedly, we can't compete with but overall, in an argument not really worth winning, I'd say we are comfortably bigger and, certainly, more folk in Europe will be aware of Aberdeen than they are of Hearts. 

On 3/11/2021 at 4:23 AM, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Remember it well. Was in the away end. Other end from the goal. But even the away end was mental. It was a horrible night, horrible pitch, brewery smell, hostile atmosphere. Bayern hated it. 

Tosh moved the free kick a few feet then touched it to Fergie. Who had a huge shot on him. When the net bulged it took a second or two for the shed roar to reach the away end so we knew it was a goal. 

We were unlucky over there too. We'd have possibly got Napoli and Diego in the semi. Gutted. 

Amazing night though. I was 16. Great memory of that night. 

In 1989? Thought you were an original skin? No wonder you're so clueless.

1 hour ago, perthshirered said:

Among Hearts fans arguments for them being bigger is that they have a better stadium FFS. They really are a strange club.

They also claim to have more "internationally starred" players throughout history. What the fuck is that? I don't recall Hearts ever having a player of Willie Miller's standing nor  have they ever signed a player of Gillhaus' ilk, who the season before arriving played in the final of the European Cup and won it. 

They don't take things into account like the fact they have become a bit of a yo-yo team whilst Aberdeen have never been relegated, or record transfer fees paid, or that half of their honours was in the first half of the last century. 

Fine, they won WW1 singlehandedly, we can't compete with but overall, in an argument not really worth winning, I'd say we are comfortably bigger and, certainly, more folk in Europe will be aware of Aberdeen than they are of Hearts. 

That was certainly the case with Daniel Stendel. He admitted growing up in East Germany he knew all about Aberdeen but had never heard of Hearts.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:58 PM, donswin1983 said:

Went to a Hearts European game many moons ago with my cousin. Beat Bayern 1-0 (I think it was Bayern). Tynecastle was rocking. Admittedly, it was rocking with quasi hun, Union Jack types, sing ‘hello, hello....fenians etc etc’. But it was rocking. Was a hun that scored the winner from memory...

I went to that game as well, in the away end.

I can remember getting tickets because it took a while to sell out due to Mercer charging £10 for the terracing.

Good game but by fuck what a  fucking dump. I was in the home end the following year for the Dundee United semi final other than an asbestos roof that covered next to fuck all, it was exactly the same as the away end, an absolute shithole.

37 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

I went to that game as well, in the away end.

I can remember getting tickets because it took a while to sell out due to Mercer charging £10 for the terracing.

Good game but by fuck what a  fucking dump. I was in the home end the following year for the Dundee United semi final other than an asbestos roof that covered next to fuck all, it was exactly the same as the away end, an absolute shithole.

Agreed. But still materially better than sitting down...I was at that semi too. We created a brilliant noise under that ‘shed’. Humped them too from memory..

6 hours ago, Kittybrewster Loon said:

We are comfortably the second biggest club in Scotland (behind the tims) and up until 2012 we were comfortably 3rd biggest. End of story. Hearts are a nothing club. 

I remember Calgary Don telling me about his visit to Barcelona FC museum along with several Hearts and Hibs supporting pals. They were upset when there was mention and acknowledgment of Aberdeen’s European exploits, etc but no mention whatsoever of Hearts of Hibs. 

28 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Kickback has a thread going about Hearts or Aberdeen bigger. Fill your boots... 

Just had a look and Hearts fans seem to think it's all about attendances or the last 25 years, conveniently when you are better than us for both. Aberdeen has a population of just over 200k whilst edinburgh is nearly at 500k, albeit with the 2 teams; the edinburgh sides are obviously going to attract more fans with an extra 50k each. If you look at it trophy wise it's pretty similar however 6 or so were before we were even formed. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

By the way WHS, the reason I despise McCoist was attending a Hearts game. Late 80's, my Hearts mate got me to join them for a sesh and the match at Ibrox. We were in the Broomloan and at a corner, there was a delay. Ally spent this time to stick his tongue into his cheek and gesturing to the Hearts fans that they were cocksuckers and wankers etc. I found it quite amusing at the time and once the dust settled, I made the point that if he'd done that to Aberdeen fans then he was guaranteed a severe kicking if ever seen in a social setting. I guess I was being opportunistic and hoping that the seed sewn might have borne fruit but I thought it a very dangerous and stupid thing to do. If the hate speech thing hadn't happened (as I understand, very recently), I might have elaborated but suffice to say, it was a very stupid thing to not consider consequences and endanger his own personal safety. I guess "sooper ally" was banking on football supporters not being mental and incapabl of long memories. So if you see him out and about, tell him he's a rotter and if you're feeling really courageous, also "accidentally" spill some juice on his shoes and tell him that it's payback for that game a third of a century ago. Or smack him in the mouth, I don't care.

Some players give it out. Personally I'm OK with the theatre of it all. Fans will react, usually with boos and songs. But some will throw stuff and some will run on the pitch, as we've seen with Lennon and Riordan at Tynecastle.

And we've had players like Skacel who have made a point of giving it to Hibs fans. I think Hibs have had more players though who have played to the galleries. 

Complaining about all this though, it feels like cancel culture stuff to me. It's football and I like to see Hearts players dislike for other teams. Personally. 

• Upvote 1