Coronavirus

Henry

1 minute ago, daytripping said:

She was quite happy last week, them going into lockdown means nothing.

No idea why people are unhappy, gives our wet pubs staff protection for another Month, no idea where they keep finding the money but well done the government.

They've put it on a credit card our kids will have to pay off

Just now, DelMonte said:

Or because she's forced to because the tories are cunts 

There is nothing forcing this.  The plan they had for November involved there being no extension of the Job Retention Scheme, and was deemed appropriate and acceptable.  There was no expectation of anything further, in November or further.  

If any business is unable to operate in November, they will now have an additional support that wasn't there before.  If any business is still able to operate under the tier plan in Scotland, then why would you force them to shut?  

There are two points here:

1. Are UK government fair in making supports around fiscal support based on the needs of only England? 
  2. Does Scotland need to move from the plan that they had for the immediate future purely because this support is now available?

The answer to 1 is no, it is not fair.  The answer to 2 is more complex, but no, they don't need to.  It is a political decision to do so.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

There is nothing forcing this.  The plan they had for November involved there being no extension of the Job Retention Scheme, and was deemed appropriate and acceptable.  There was no expectation of anything further, in November or further.  

If any business is unable to operate in November, they will now have an additional support that wasn't there before.  If any business is still able to operate under the tier plan in Scotland, then why would you force them to shut?  

1. Are UK government fair in making supports around fiscal support based on the needs of only England? 
  2. Does Scotland need to move from the plan that they had for the immediate future purely because this support is now available?

The answer to 1 is no, it is not fair.  The answer to 2 is more complex, but no, they don't need to.  It is a political decision to do so.

Great post.

8 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

I cannot agree with this... 

I hope this is the Scottish Government's attempt to try and call the UK Government's bluff, and not a genuine consideration.  

They have put in place a system that they believe is grounded in science and has/is showing some positive results.  There may be no need for a tier/level 4 lockdown anywhere in Scotland, and certainly not blanket across Scotland at any time.  

So why would you put in place a nationwide lockdown at that level, putting people out of work and not getting full pay again, just because the safety net is there? 

Unless they have a complete lack of faith in the system they have just spent weeks working on and are only just implementing, then it is an illogical decision.  

I agree fully with the sentiments that it is ridiculous we are in a situation that we have the fiscal policy relating to 4 different nations public health strategies being aligned to only one of those nation's needs.  I do not agree that a safety net should be used just because it is there, if there is a chance that you may never need to use it.  

100% spot on min.

Nicola Sturgeon and her government chose to go it alone on the 28th of May. Surely, if she had adopted a far more ccontingent and thoughtful approach, she could have foreseen such a situation whereby employees would be unable to return to work by the end of the year, therefore a similar job retention scheme to the one that was in place at the time of deciding to take control of our nation's destiny would have to be created and implemented, in the future, in order to preserve businesses and employment but on our own terms without the need to be reliant upon the crooked Tory UK government. 

However, she has made herself look foolish by leaving herself well and truly open to be treated in such a manner by the vile UK government, and made her ultimate quest to gain an independent Scotland look complete and utter folly as it has been proven yet again there simply isn't the financial and economic means to do it and sustain it.

I am away to hide my bunker for a wee while now?.

1 hour ago, Studebaker-90 said:

I have been very vocal about my dissatisfaction for sturgeon and Scottish government throughout this process but her hand is being forced on this and it’s a fucking horrible position for her to be in. Absolutely fuck the U.K. government if they pull a stunt like this. 

Absolutely. 

However I cant help but feel its like locking us (Especially in the North) for the sake of it. 

4 cases in thr City today. Shut us dwn, close the gyms, pubs etc. 

21 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Yep plan they had for November did involve no furlough but now its available. 

It is now available so an opportunity to ramp down the numbers severely is now available so will be considered. 

The goalposts have moved. We are in a much better position than England anyway due to them having the worst leader in history. They are also clearly prioritising England over all, hopefully it leads to independence. 

5 minutes ago, daytripping said:

The furlough scheme has been in place since March, she could have went full lockdown any time over these last few weeks, now England announce they have she's spat the dummy.

The government have upped their contribution to 80% for the next month, removing the requirement for the employer to contribute. Why did they do this on Saturday? What changed?

2 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Yep plan they had for November did involve no furlough but now its available. 

It is now available so an opportunity to ramp down the numbers severely is now available so will be considered. 

The goalposts have moved. We are in a much better position than England anyway due to them having the worst leader in history. They are also clearly prioritising England over all, hopefully it leads to independence. 

Why not go full lockdown these last few weeks? do we have to wait till England do it? Truly puzzled by the thought process.

We had 4 new cases in Aberdeen yesterday, yeah lock us down. :)

Why not go full lockdown these last few weeks? do we have to wait till England do it? Truly puzzled by the thought process.

It's been explained above by Geoff. 

Why did England and Boris not lockdown before the furlough ended when their numbers warranted it? 

2 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Furlough was ending, they've simply extended it.

On 10/31/2020 at 8:40 PM, daytripping said:

Lot of folk on furlough were laid off last week, how will this extension work, will they get taken back on the books for another Month or will ties be cut already? Pretty poor timing leaving the extension announcement so late in the day.

Just now, daytripping said:

Because employers had to pay 20% of the contribution despite being unable to trade, Government only covered 60%.

Now, the Government will contribute 80% and employer will pay nothing. I can only assume this increase was to support businesses in England as they never increased their contribution to Wales or Northern Ireland during their lockdown.

Your nae the brightest.

2 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

Because employers had to pay 20% of the contribution despite being unable to trade, Government only covered 60%.

Now, the Government will contribute 80% and employer will pay nothing. I can only assume this increase was to support businesses in England as they never increased their contribution to Wales or Northern Ireland during their lockdown.

Your nae the brightest.

Splitting hairs, in the big picture nothing much has changed.

Just now, Geoff_Tipps said:

For someone so opinionated he's fucking easy to trip up. He's thick as mince, too many skelps round the heed from the steroid fuelled Polski. 

Jesus min, you didn't even get a simple fact on percentage right, you also never answered whey we couldn't have went into lockdown last Month, you really take that as a trip up?? lol :)

Which I just pointed out, are you lot even reading my posts.

How much percentage was on offer last week Geoff? I'll make this simple for you, lay it out slowly.

• for October, the government will pay 60% of wages up to a cap of £1,875 for the hours the employee is on furlough. Employers will pay ER NICs and pension contributions and top up employees’ wages to ensure they receive 80% of their wages up to a cap of £2,500, for time they are furloughed