Coronavirus

Henry

14 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Eh thought vaccinated folk were less transmissible therefor less likely to pass a virus on to family members etc.,

Not sure who needs to hear this, but if it is true that 70% or 80% of the population has had two j a b s and we have not reached herd immunity then there is ZERO reason to get it BECAUSE IT DOESNT WORK and this farce should be OVER!

4 minutes ago, Crashnyploshnit said:

Vaccine passports are the end game. They're trying to implement a Chinese style social credit system and they are using this so called pandemic to railroad them through. They know that under normal circumstances we would never have agreed to them. They must be stopped.

Who are 'they'. and why would 'they' need to do that?

If they want something to be a law they just write the law and pass it, and the public grumbles a bit, but ultimately does fuck all about it, and whether the public agrees or not is irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Crashnyploshnit said:

Not sure who needs to hear this, but if it is true that 70% or 80% of the population has had two j a b s and we have not reached herd immunity then there is ZERO reason to get it BECAUSE IT DOESNT WORK and this farce should be OVER!

The vast majority, and by vast I mean like 98-99% here in the US, the vast majority of people who die are unvaccinated.

So, how is it 'not working'?

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

So why did our Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation not recommend it?

It'll never be eradicated.

Not when you have a huge number of people who can't see the connection between getting vaccinated and not dying... so you may be correct. 

9 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

If you can get it, pass it on and die from it when you are vaccinated it will never be eradicated, even if you vaccinate everyone and their dog.

The vaccine is up to 99% proof against dying. 

So why wouldn't you get the vaccine?

Just now, Ke1t said:

The vaccine is up to 99% proof against dying. 

So why wouldn't you get the vaccine?

That's nothing to do with my point of it never being eradicated.

The stats on 12 to 16 year olds is that 1 million doses will prevent 2 of them being in intensive care but cause between 3 and 17 cases of inflamed heart.

The whole initiative seems at best pointless. We'd be better off giving the doses to poorer countries to protect people who are actually at risk from it.

7 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

That's nothing to do with my point of it never being eradicated.

The stats on 12 to 16 year olds is that 1 million doses will prevent 2 of them being in intensive care but cause between 3 and 17 cases of inflamed heart.

The whole initiative seems at best pointless. We'd be better off giving the doses to poorer countries to protect people who are actually at risk from it.

It absolute is everything to do with the point of it never being eradicated. 

We vaccinate against hundreds of diseases that haven't been eradicated, because they massively reduce your chances of dying from those diseases should you catch them... because they haven't been erdicated.  

6 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

We vaccinate against hundreds of diseases that haven't been eradicated, because they massively reduce your chances of dying from those diseases should you catch them... because they haven't been erdicated.  

But 12 to 16 year olds aren't dying from it? That's why the the JVCI have not recommended it. You seem to be missing that point.

4 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Quite right. But this doesn't, for kids at least. The risk from the side effects are higher than the risk from the disease. I'm struggling to think of any other medical intervention which is done for the benefit of others, and with no real benefit to the person undergoing the procedure.

Giving blood, or organ donations I suppose, but they're very much voluntary.

Just now, manboobs109 said:

But 12 to 16 year olds aren't dying from it? That's why the the JVCI have not recommended it. You seem to be missing that point.

The original variant was mild in children, the Delta variant has driven an increase in hospitalisation in children, and there will be subsequent, more aggressive variants along shortly that will almost certainly continue that trend. 

Are we just going to wait for the situation to get ahead of us again, as it has with Delta, before reacting to an evolving virus, or is it maybe smarter to get ahead of the curve? 

2 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

The original variant was mild in children, the Delta variant has driven an increase in hospitalisation in children, and there will be subsequent, more aggressive variants along shortly that will almost certainly continue that trend. 

Are we just going to wait for the situation to get ahead of us again, as it has with Delta, before reacting to an evolving virus, or is it maybe smarter to get ahead of the curve? 

I'm sure that was taken into consideration when the JCVI decided against it.

This seems like a political decision because of all that nonsense with perfectly healthy children having to isolate for weeks for no real reason. They can't admit that was stupid do they are pulling this nonsense, against scientific advice.

Let's just hope no kids die because of side effects.

28 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Genuine question, why doesn't everyone get the flu vaccine? Why is it only certain groups?

2 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Genuine question, why doesn't everyone get the flu vaccine? Why is it only certain groups?

Because Covid isn't the flu, despite anti-vaccers trying to persuade us as much. 

John Hopkins estimates you're 10 times as likely to die from Covid, and you don't run a risk of long term damage to your heart, lungs, and brain with the flu. 

It's a virus that spreads like the flu, and mild symptoms are kind like the flu... but it's not the flu... so we probably shouldn't be making comparisons. 

7 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Because Covid isn't the flu, despite anti-vaccers trying to persuade us as much. 

John Hopkins estimates you're 10 times as likely to die from Covid, and you don't run a risk of long term damage to your heart, lungs, and brain with the flu. 

It's a virus that spreads like the flu, and mild symptoms are kind like the flu... but it's not the flu... so we probably shouldn't be making comparisons. 

You're the one making comparisons though. The link you posted about mass vaccination was written years before covid even existed.

I'm not comparing the diseases I'm asking why we don't vaccinate everyone to slow the spread of it and stop people dying?

By the way I'm not an "anti vaxxer" I've had the vaccine I'm just struggling with the logic of the government going against advice on this.

3 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

You're the one making comparisons though. The link you posted about mass vaccination was written years before covid even existed.

I'm not comparing the diseases I'm asking why we don't vaccinate everyone to slow the spread of it and stop people dying?

By the way I'm not an "anti vaxxer" I've had the vaccine I'm just struggling with the logic of the government going against advice on this.

I'm not making any comparison... I'm explaining why mass vaccination in the case of a virus is a good idea. 

There are various viruses from, say, the flu, through Covid, up to stuff like Polio. 

The methodology remains the same, mass vaccination gives mass coverage... regardless of severity of the virus. 

That doesn't mean Covid is like the flu, or Polio is like Rotavirus. 

People get rotavirus vaccines for their newborns without even questioning why, and the same with Hep B. 

Doctor had already scheduled these vaccines for our kid, and seemed surprised when we told him we weren't giving them to him. 

1 minute ago, Ke1t said:

I'm not making any comparison... I'm explaining why mass vaccination in the case of a virus is a good idea. 

There are various viruses from, say, the flu, through Covid, up to stuff like Polio. 

The methodology remains the same, mass vaccination gives mass coverage... regardless of severity of the virus. 

That doesn't mean Covid is like the flu, or Polio is like Rotavirus. 

People get rotavirus vaccines for their newborns without even questioning why, and the same with Hep B. 

Doctor had already scheduled these vaccines for our kid, and seemed surprised when we told him we weren't giving them to him. 

I'm not saying it's like the flu.

You can just say "I don't know" I don't know either, seems stupid tbh.

9 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I, however, could be called an anti-vaccer. 

4 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

Wonder where they'll stand legally if a young cunt dies as a result of complications and they had it against their parent's wishes?

Fucked I'd imagine but they've unlimited resources to make it as difficult as possible for the parents if the worst does happen.

Didn’t they already put in place legislation that means you can’t blame them if you die? 

edit, you know what I mean 

2 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Kelt you may just have achieved the impossible and got me sacking the covid thread.

I'm serious. 

When our kid was born they handed us forms with all the vaccines and jabs they intended to stick into a newborn baby. 

We found out what they were for, and dispensed with a number of them. 

Rotavirus is basically the shits. "Your child could become dehydrated"... no fucking way.. dehydrated, you say?  So we'll hydrate him. You're not sticking a needle in him for that. 

There are a number of pointless jabs for situations the parents can deal with easily... Covid doesn't fall into that category, though. 

23 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I'm serious. 

When our kid was born they handed us forms with all the vaccines and jabs they intended to stick into a newborn baby. 

We found out what they were for, and dispensed with a number of them. 

Rotavirus is basically the shits. "Your child could become dehydrated"... no fucking way.. dehydrated, you say?  So we'll hydrate him. You're not sticking a needle in him for that. 

There are a number of pointless jabs for situations the parents can deal with easily... Covid doesn't fall into that category, though. 

So why aren't under 12's getting it?