Lockdown Skills

Ke1t

3 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

The thickos love to call themselves "engineer" when they're trained up grease monkeys who sucked cock to get an office job.

The grant system was a false security. First day we got our money through, I burned a fiver in the Aberdeen Students Union at a table with my mates. They thought I was mad, you could have got very pissed on a fiver in 1979. They were probably right because I had no idea why I did it. In hindsight it was a good move. 

It's endemic across the UK and Ireland, where all sorts of handymen and satellite dish fitters are abusing the title of Engineer (we've even got former used car salesmen turned buyers calling themselves "Sales Engineer"!)

It is a protected title in many developed countries and rightly so. This gives it parity with Architects, Lawyers, Scientists and even Doctors in the Germanic and Nordic countries. Until we follow suit, the chancers will continue to con the public and bring the profession down.

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

It's endemic across the UK and Ireland, where all sorts of handymen and satellite dish fitters are abusing the title of Engineer (we've even got former used car salesmen turned buyers calling themselves "Sales Engineer"!)

It is a protected title in many developed countries and rightly so. This gives it parity with Architects, Lawyers, Scientists and even Doctors in the Germanic and Nordic countries. Until we follow suit, the chancers will continue to con the public and bring the profession down.

Contracts engineer is my personal favourite. What the fuck is that?

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Need a degree was what I was always led to believe. 

In countries where it's a protected title, you need a minimum of a Bachelor's degree (in the USA and Canada, among others, you also need a license to practice and thus call yourself one. This is prosecutable by law). In the UK and Ireland there are three designations;

- Engineering Technician. A minimum of a time-served 4 year apprenticeship and a few years post-qualification experience.

- Incorporated Engineer (AKA Technologist). A Bachelor's degree and usually minimum 4 years postgraduate experience.

- Chartered Engineer. A Master's degree and usually minimum of 5-7 years postgraduate experience.

This is a good system IMHO as it recognises a myriad of different competencies and disciplines. Where it falls down, is that it's not compulsory to be professionally registered in order to use the title, hence the free for all. You can't call yourself a Doctor, Architect or Lawyer unless you have cleared a professional standard, for which the bar is set high, so Engineers should be no different, if they want to be taken seriously as in most developed (and indeed developing) countries.

2 hours ago, cheesepipes said:

Most Engineers in large companies (can only comment on Oil companies) are either absolute arseholes or stay at home with mum geeks whos search history would give them 10 years in the can. 

The search history of the beasty Bob is a strange one. At what point do you just put "wee boy's bums" into Google and not have a word with yourself?

20 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

- Engineering Technician. A minimum of a time-served 4 year apprenticeship and a few years post-qualification experience.

- Incorporated Engineer (AKA Technologist). A Bachelor's degree and usually minimum 4 years postgraduate experience.

- Chartered Engineer. A Master's degree and usually minimum of 5-7 years postgraduate experience.

This is a good system IMHO as it recognises a myriad of different competencies and disciplines. Where it falls down, is that it's not compulsory to be professionally registered in order to use the title, hence the free for all.

RE: Chartered engineers:  you can still become chartered if your BEng (Hons) was a formally accredited course, prior to the change to requirement for a Masters (whenever that happened).  I am Chartered but have a BEng (Hons), whereas all the newer graduates are MEng.

Its much harder to specify a number of years of experience, given (for my discipline anyway) you need to demonstrate a broad range of ability and experience, which often a single job will not offer.

I agree there needs to be a system to control and regulate the term and grades of Engineer.  In Germany, anyone who is formally an Engineer is highly respected (e.g. on a par with Doctors), but in the UK seemingly anyone can attach "engineer" to the title of their role.

At the same time, I am skeptical of the motives of Universities and Professional Bodies.  E.g. what real industrial / social benefit did mandating an MEng (as opposed to BEng (Hons)) bring?  It would seem the Universities are the big winners, gaining an extra years funding for every successful graduate (as its now a 5 instead of 4 year course).

I have always thought the Professional Bodies are mainly just money making organisations, in cahoots with employers.  They sell the use of titles to engineers (with subscriptions usually paid for by employers) and in return the employers can use chartered status etc of staff as a marketing point.  And don't get me started on these supra-professional body organisations like "the engineering council" etc.

Its hard not to see the influence of money behind all these regulations and rented titles etc.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:19 AM, dazzy_deff said:

My discipline especially, the best engineers (myself included) dont have degrees.

I think that a blended education is best - I agree that university alone is not the best.

You learn things from practical experience that a classroom format could never replicate.  But you do need some traditional classroom learning.

I look back at my 4 year BEng (Hons) course and I can see that only a minority of the classes have any practical application to my career and the rest of it was just filler material.  You could have made it a 2 year course, quite easily - less, even.