English Premiership versus Scottish fitba

7 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Thy are better players though Parkie. From a purely football point of view it's good to watch the very best 'ply their trade' so to speak. 

Interesting.

When Barcelona were in their prime a few seasons ago watching them was for me completely dull. The football being played was too good. 

Maybe sounds a bit daft but seeing pass after pass after pass and the ball being walked into the net is just not doing it for me. You need the odd slice, punt, hoof, slip for a game to be enjoyable.

Was technically too good a team to enjoy watching.

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I find it utterly bizarre the number of Scottish people obsessed with English football. Even weirder are the ones who claim to "support" an English team. There might be teams you like a bit more from other countries for whatever reason but claiming to support a foreign team? I don't understand it.

Even worse are the parents who encourage it from their kids. Buying them all sorts of English kits and allowing them to claim to support these teams. 

A large part of this, I'd guess, is because our main media channels are essentially English. Look at MOTD being on prime time Saturday night on BBC1, while Scottish football is on pay channels and free to air highlights shoved to Sunday evening. Foreign football is promoted over our own game, it's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world won't make the slightest difference. 

It should be like the good old days, Sportscene on at 10 and let MOTD follow on after it.

Sky are very good at hyping up English football and making you want to watch it and bbc jumped on the band wagon with motd but the amount of games Iv turned on to watch and then turned of from the English league is incredible I couldn’t say last match I watched the whole way through. 
Used to love watching la liga before it was moved to a random channel. 

20 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Fair enough. I can watch anyone play, amateur teams in a park set up, juniors , elite level and enjoy them all just the same. Spent years ( still am) watching both sons play for their various teams in all sorts of weather and always looked forward to it.

Before all the 'ronas nonsense Id spent the two seasons previous watching Junior league regularly and I can't wait to get back into that routine. 

I'd probably go watch cove instead of Aberdeen if they dropped rangers from their name

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I find it utterly bizarre the number of Scottish people obsessed with English football. Even weirder are the ones who claim to "support" an English team. There might be teams you like a bit more from other countries for whatever reason but claiming to support a foreign team? I don't understand it.

Even worse are the parents who encourage it from their kids. Buying them all sorts of English kits and allowing them to claim to support these teams. 

A large part of this, I'd guess, is because our main media channels are essentially English. Look at MOTD being on prime time Saturday night on BBC1, while Scottish football is on pay channels and free to air highlights shoved to Sunday evening. Foreign football is promoted over our own game, it's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world won't make the slightest difference. 

It was pretty standard for those of us who grew up in the 70's to also support an English team. In those days every single First Division side had at least a couple of Scots in their team and most of them had a Scottish international amongst their ranks. But your Scottish team was far and away your main focus.

Of course there was a financial disparity between Scotland and England in those days too...hence why so many Scots ended up playing there. But nothing like what it is now. What's more, replica strips didn't need replaced on an annual basis as clubs only changed them every 3 years or so. 

Sportscene/Scotsport both only featured highlights from one Scottish game each....but much longer highlights than what we get now. They then gave highlights from an English match

I've only got problems with Scottish kids that either only support an English side or claim them to be their main team

I like watching football so will watch most of the Leagues when I have time.I also like visiting grounds when in other countries  Apart from Aberdeen I don't watch hardly any Scottish football as it is dire. Plastic pitches, the 2 Horse race the horrible 2 Cheeks that lead the 2 Horse race and all the baggage that comes with it. Of all the Leagues I watch on TV and have experienced first hand  myself  the Scottish is by far the poorest both in quality and entertainment. Some great games in Italy and Portugal and some of the South American stuff is fantastic. the English football is hit or miss sometimes you get some cracking games and other times it is middle of the road or Dire but at least it is competitive. I have been to football in quite a few countries and the experience is much better than in Scotland also. Berlin and Munich are both fantastic experiences the whole event is spectacular outwith the football you get a drink you get better food and there is all sorts of entertainment laid on. Was at an MLS game a couple of Years back although the quality was poor they at least tried to play proper football and again going to the game before and after was an event in itself, again you got a drink where they also had Cocktails for the missus and they even had fireworks after the game. Also went to Spurs new stadium last Year and the place was just unbelievable Craft beer and array of bars to go to, great food and even a live band after the game to watch with a few beers.Been to Wembley Old Trafford & Sunderland and Newcastle also all great experiences and events. France is also a good place to go to football where again the event is much better than anything in Scotland. We are so far behind everybody else that I cannot see us ever catching up. Young kids naturally will pick what they see as being a better product and certainly better pitched product in England as it is in Scotland. When I was a kid in Aberdeen I could never get my head round why Aberdonians would support the Cheeks and to a certain extent I still don't. Luckily my Loon heavily influenced by me still goes to Dons games with his mates and loves the club like me, but him and his mates over the last few Years have gone less and less mainly due to the fact they want a beer and there is much more choice than going to Pittodrie to watch hoof ball with a Sunday 12 o clock football in a league that is set up to benefit 2 teams run by a governing body corrupt to the core

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I want to go to Spurs one day. Didn't like the Emirates but loved Highbury. Hated Chelsea. Selhurst Park was good, probably the most down-to-earth I've been to in London. 

Been to Chelsea a few Years back but it had a very Hun feel to it. The Fitba though in most places feels like a day out now but going to Pittodrie is basically 2 Hours of generally shit  Fitba a pie stuck to the dish and then straight out at the end. The ancient ban in alcohol doesn't help either

4 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Very corporate feel at Stamford Bridge and full of wankers, the flat cap brigade thinking they were cockney barra boys. Would never go back.

Heard lots of good things about the new Spurs stadium. You just confirmed it. That will be my next in London. Elland Road is next on my list though. 

Good shout Love Leeds as a city but never been to Elland Road. I want to go back to Munich though fantastic Day out at the Fitba there