Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

I never said he was our worst offender. We were discussing loans. I said it's pointless getting shite like him on loan. He's a poorer center midfielder than Gleeson (and probably Campbell too) and hides from the ball. What are we gaining by getting a mediocre shitebag on loan?

Ball won the ball back for both of our goals at St Johnstone. Neither of them would have happened if he hadn't attacked the ball and given it to Shinnie. At least he has some attributes unlike Gleeson (who is seven years older than him and should be a far better player but isn't in the slightest).

The only thing Gleeson does better than Ball is use a series of annoying body language techniques to hoodwink some of our support into thinking he's a quality footballer. He's a complete nothing player - he isn't good enough defensively to be a defensive midfielder, lacks any of the creativity required to be an attacking midfielder, and his contribution is largely restricted to playing pointless five yard passes in our own half while doing a cockney braces jog and pointing a lot.

• Upvote 1

Ball won the ball back for both of our goals at St Johnstone. Neither of them would have happened if he hadn't attacked the ball and given it to Shinnie. At least he has some attributes unlike Gleeson (who is seven years older than him and should be a far better player but isn't in the slightest).

The only thing Gleeson does better than Ball is use a series of annoying body language techniques to hoodwink some of our support into thinking he's a quality footballer. He's a complete nothing player - he isn't good enough defensively to be a defensive midfielder, lacks any of the creativity required to be an attacking midfielder, and his contribution is largely restricted to playing pointless five yard passes in our own half while doing a cockney braces jog and pointing a lot.

Gleeson is far superior to Ball. Gleeson is the player we've been missing since Jack left (who half our support used to think was shite too - LOL).

He has the ability to link the play between defence and attacking players, meaning we're not resorting to punts from the centre-halves and the attacking players don't need to come deep to collect the ball. This in turn allows our team to play further up the park. His positional sense (while clearly not being a combative player) also means Shinnie's lack of positional discipline isn't so much of an issue and we will be less susceptible to counter attacks.

Meanwhile Ball rarely gives the centre halves an option and when he does normally returns the ball right back to them within 2 seconds of receiving it.

There's no doubt Gleeson is technically superior to Ball. Unfortunately he is as mobile as an aircraft carrier and for the first of of the season at least was unable to.play more than 60 minutes without blowing out his arse ( it's still untested if he can go the full 90 now, I believe he has improved his stamina and for that reason I have reversed my early season writing him off).

Ball could on no account be described as "quick". But he's mobile enough for the position he plays and can cover a couple of other positions in dire emergency. If he isn't that great at them....you just have to accept that they aren't his best position. The analogy I'd use is that you have 2 heart surgeons due to perform an operation. However the anaesthetist phones in sick. They don't just say " ok one of you surgeons will just have to do the anaesthetists job". If a spare anaesthetist cannot be found, the operation gets cancelled. However if Shay gets injured, as he is now, there's no spare right back to cover. But the match doesn't get cancelled. Ball it is then ( or change tactics to go with a back 3)

You twist/omit some things I say to suit your view of what I say. Which is to completely write off what I say as exaggeration. I didn't say he has achieved NOTHING & (as you imply) that was it

I say he has achieved NOTHING more than his budget & most certainly 'advantageous' circumstances would be expected AT THE VERY LEAST.

Some are unwilling to accept these things & fall back on the usual bs 'you can only beat what's in front of you' argument as some kind of excuse for these advantages he has benefited from.

A run of second places & being pretty much the only side other than Celtic to have been consistent in the complete shambles that has been the Top league in the SPFL may seem massively respectable to some but given the budgets it really hasn't. Other teams astonishing failures (& I include ALL OF Huns, Hibs, Hearts, Utd) & inability to run their shit show in any kind of sensible way does NOT make McInnes a better manager. Yes it allows him to hide behind some folks delusional beliefs in him being such but it really isn't the case. The run of second places is worthy of VERY little credit imo given all the circumstances that helped. That wouldn't have taken anything more than an average manager.

The cup win on penalties v Caley in 2014 & not really beating anything of note in said run is also nothing more than any average manager could/should & HAS achieved but because it took all our previous SHITE 19 years of failure. It was MASSIVELY exaggerated out of pure relief.

It's no secret I have not liked him as manager for a long time. I will also be the first to admit that I am generally pretty hard to please & being just average doesn't do that for me. Especially when given huge advantages to be better than average (in McInnes' case) I myself am blatantly average at many things & whilst I have come to accept this, it still doesn't please me like it appears it would other folk with differing outlooks to mine. We cannot all be exceptional at everything but being blatantly average at what is essentially your bread & butter, should not be what a club like Aberdeen (whilst desperately needed after a long time of failures) is willing to settle for.

Of course there has been a good few FANTASTIC results in his time but that also happens with ALL average managers.

Can anyone seriously say that McInnes has ever really OVER achieved during any time in his whole managerial career? Not that I can see & whilst what he has done with Aberdeen is undoubtedly his best (certainly in terms of consistency) it has been nothing close to spectacular.

So he's an achiever who hasn't achieved much. If the management and Dons fans are happy with an under achiever then they deserve each other. Time to get achievers in the management and board.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gleeson is far superior to Ball. Gleeson is the player we've been missing since Jack left (who half our support used to think was shite too - LOL).

He has the ability to link the play between defence and attacking players, meaning we're not resorting to punts from the centre-halves and the attacking players don't need to come deep to collect the ball. This in turn allows our team to play further up the park. His positional sense (while clearly not being a combative player) also means Shinnie's lack of positional discipline isn't so much of an issue and we will be less susceptible to counter attacks.

Meanwhile Ball rarely gives the centre halves an option and when he does normally returns the ball right back to them within 2 seconds of receiving it.

Wasn't Ball brought in for his versatility (though not particularly great at any of the positions he's been utilised in) whereas Gleeson is more for a specific role? 

I saw Gleeson and Cosgrove in town after the St Mirren game and you'd never guess Gleeson is supposed to be an athlete of sorts. Maybe doing him an injustice here but he just didn't look like a professional footballer.

Aye and usually a couple of feet short with the return too.

Good post, particularly the cockney braces jog bit.

You twist/omit some things I say to suit your view of what I say. Which is to completely write off what I say as exaggeration. I didn't say he has achieved NOTHING & (as you imply) that was it

I say he has achieved NOTHING more than his budget & most certainly 'advantageous' circumstances would be expected AT THE VERY LEAST.

Some are unwilling to accept these things & fall back on the usual bs 'you can only beat what's in front of you' argument as some kind of excuse for these advantages he has benefited from.

A run of second places & being pretty much the only side other than Celtic to have been consistent in the complete shambles that has been the Top league in the SPFL may seem massively respectable to some but given the budgets it really hasn't. Other teams astonishing failures (& I include ALL OF Huns, Hibs, Hearts, Utd) & inability to run their shit show in any kind of sensible way does NOT make McInnes a better manager. Yes it allows him to hide behind some folks delusional beliefs in him being such but it really isn't the case. The run of second places is worthy of VERY little credit imo given all the circumstances that helped. That wouldn't have taken anything more than an average manager.

The cup win on penalties v Caley in 2014 & not really beating anything of note in said run is also nothing more than any average manager could/should & HAS achieved but because it took all our previous SHITE 19 years of failure. It was MASSIVELY exaggerated out of pure relief.

It's no secret I have not liked him as manager for a long time. I will also be the first to admit that I am generally pretty hard to please & being just average doesn't do that for me. Especially when given huge advantages to be better than average (in McInnes' case) I myself am blatantly average at many things & whilst I have come to accept this, it still doesn't please me like it appears it would other folk with differing outlooks to mine. We cannot all be exceptional at everything but being blatantly average at what is essentially your bread & butter, should not be what a club like Aberdeen (whilst desperately needed after a long time of failures) is willing to settle for.

Of course there has been a good few FANTASTIC results in his time but that also happens with ALL average managers.

Can anyone seriously say that McInnes has ever really OVER achieved during any time in his whole managerial career? Not that I can see & whilst what he has done with Aberdeen is undoubtedly his best (certainly in terms of consistency) it has been nothing close to spectacular.

I see this differently.  The state of other clubs doesn't have any bearing on whether McInnes has been successful or not.  Based on budget he has either performed to or above expectations in the league (some years he had the 2 biggest budget in the division, others he has had the 3rd biggest budget).  Nobody says some of  Manchester United's previous English titles are worth less because Leeds United imploded or Manchester City spent a few years in the lower divisions or that one year they only had Aston Villa and Norwich to compete with for the title.

He's won one cup and has got to a number of finals and semi finals.  I'd say we wouldn't be unreasonable to have expected him to pick up another cup win during his time here.  therefore he has probably performed slightly below expectations in the cups.

All in all he's done a competent job. There's a shelf life for everyone though and we're probably getting closer to that point now.  Whether we end up with someone worse or better...who knows, it could go either way.  We could get an Alex Smith or an Alex Miller.

I see this differently.  The state of other clubs doesn't have any bearing on whether McInnes has been successful or not.  Based on budget he has either performed to or above expectations in the league (some years he had the 2 biggest budget in the division, others he has had the 3rd biggest budget).  Nobody says some of  Manchester United's previous English titles are worth less because Leeds United imploded or Manchester City spent a few years in the lower divisions or that one year they only had Aston Villa and Norwich to compete with for the title.

He's won one cup and has got to a number of finals and semi finals.  I'd say we wouldn't be unreasonable to have expected him to pick up another cup win during his time here.  therefore he has probably performed slightly below expectations in the cups.

All in all he's done a competent job. There's a shelf life for everyone though and we're probably getting closer to that point now.  Whether we end up with someone worse or better...who knows, it could go either way.  We could get an Alex Smith or an Alex Miller.

Man Utd & the EPL are totally incomparable ffs lol

They had competition from a few different sides during any given league campaign. Celtic won all as they didn't.

We got our run of seconds during this period, as for the most part (pretty much all but last season) we had no competition for it in reality. Even last season we had a wee leg up from mad Pedro but I credited McInnes for this second place as it is the closest he had had to any kind of fight for it.

He gets us second this season & I will be amazed & will credit him as such.

I will actually be fairly surprised if he even gets us 3rd & Europe (maybe sneaks it via 4th depending on cup winners) but in all honesty if he achieves Europa this season by any means. It will be his biggest accomplishment for the club as far as fighting off competition (especially as far as numbers go) for something & I even include the 2014 LC win in that.

I know a lot really hate what I say. Especially when it comes to (as far as I'm concerned) telling it like it is regarding McInnes but nobody has really been able to argue that what I say is off the mark. They just don't like it & their best denial is to turn it around & deflect it off as my usual nonsense. Which I know I am very guilty of on a lot of topics ;)

Reading through this thread throughout the season, I've found myself both agreeing and disagreeing with people in both camps, but that sums up the frustration of his reign, in that there's been much to be proud of and thankful for, there's been equally as many disappointments and missed opportunities.

For me, the biggest problem has been his inability (or refusal, depending on your standpoint) to learn from past mistakes and subsequent repeating of them.

This poor home form isn't a short-term blip, it has been relatively disappointing throughout his reign. I think it's because he sets us up in a way that benefits being the away team (i.e. hard to beat, decent counterattack, or grinding out results) but when we're at home and looking to put teams to the sword...

His recruitment has also been very inconsistent, this season especially.

Looking to the future, I think his efficacy is even more limited by the fact he's seen the Orcs promotion to the SPL as a resumption of a fabled natural order of things, with the best we can hope for being 3rd place and a wee shot at a cup run now and then. I say bullshit! We have been the incumbent second place team four years running (albeit in a diminished playing field, as several rightly point out) and the onus should be on THEM to try and take second place off us, not for us to set up cautiously and hope for the best. We've made them (and that diarrhoea mouthed ghetto urchin, with the intellect of a pygmy and who looks and speaks like a Stanley knife wielding car thief) look better than they really are.

• Upvote 2

There's another elephant in the room here as well; the BBC this week actually pointed out that Celtic were much better in Europe under Strachan and Lennon, before questioning just how good their 7 consecutive trophies achievement really is. For the record I didn't expect us to be champions during the McInnes era, but I would say he showed a decent-but-un spectacular Celtic side far too much respect and should have got closer to them in the league.

• Upvote 1

Reading through this thread throughout the season, I've found myself both agreeing and disagreeing with people in both camps, but that sums up the frustration of his reign, in that there's been much to be proud of and thankful for, there's been equally as many disappointments and missed opportunities.

For me, the biggest problem has been his inability (or refusal, depending on your standpoint) to learn from past mistakes and subsequent repeating of them.

This poor home form isn't a short-term blip, it has been relatively disappointing throughout his reign. I think it's because he sets us up in a way that benefits being the away team (i.e. hard to beat, decent counterattack, or grinding out results) but when we're at home and looking to put teams to the sword...

His recruitment has also been very inconsistent, this season especially.

Looking to the future, I think his efficacy is even more limited by the fact he's seen the Orcs promotion to the SPL as a resumption of a fabled natural order of things, with the best we can hope for being 3rd place and a wee shot at a cup run now and then. I say bullshit! We have been the incumbent second place team four years running (albeit in a diminished playing field, as several rightly point out) and the onus should be on THEM to try and take second place off us, not for us to set up cautiously and hope for the best. We've made them (and that diarrhoea mouthed ghetto urchin, with the intellect of a pygmy and who looks and speaks like a Stanley knife wielding car thief) look better than they really are.

I am easily one of his biggest critics but I can admit that he has been fantastic for the club as a whole in numerous areas.

Especially off the pitch.

The shit state we were in prior to his arrival (although even Craig Brown was seen as a huge improvement ffs) also helped McInnes become a messiah a lot easier.

He brought the minimal level of consistency that a club like Aberdeen should expect. ESPECIALLY when all things are considered regarding him being here at a time that every manager would have loved given such a relatively easy ride it has been. That isn't taking anything away from what McInnes has done. Some think I am but truth is it is only highlighting that he has really done nothing more than any average manager could do

• Upvote 2