Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

1 hour ago, Tinyweelad said:

With the sudden emergence of Ramsay and McKenzie, I wonder if these loons were held back from McInnes on purpose. Surely, even the most stubborn of decisions (and there were plenty) from McInnes, woudn't have seen him not give either full back at least a wee run out in the side, particularly given our issues at left back. OK, we had McCrorie who could play on the right, but he was largely honking.

I reckon they were purposely kept under wraps for Glass' arrival. More proof if you needed it that the punting of DM and his replacement by SG was planned a wee while before events unfolded.

There might be an element of truth about that in MacKenzie's case, given that he's now 22 and left back is a position we have struggled with for a few years. McInnes going with a back 3 last season also didn't help his progression.

Ramsay was just turned 17 this time last year and probably wasn't quite ready for anything other than getting a few games towards the end of last season. Even this season, Glass will have to manage him carefully. He's still maturing physically and overplaying him could risk injury. 25 -30 games this season is absolutely plenty for the loon, Gurr seems a competent, if unspectacular, understudy so we should be able to take Ramsay out for a couple of games here and there without disadvantaging the team inordinately.

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

There might be an element of truth about that in MacKenzie's case, given that he's now 22 and left back is a position we have struggled with for a few years. McInnes going with a back 3 last season also didn't help his progression.

Ramsay was just turned 17 this time last year and probably wasn't quite ready for anything other than getting a few games towards the end of last season. Even this season, Glass will have to manage him carefully. He's still maturing physically and overplaying him could risk injury. 25 -30 games this season is absolutely plenty for the loon, Gurr seems a competent, if unspectacular, understudy so we should be able to take Ramsay out for a couple of games here and there without disadvantaging the team inordinately.

You think McInnes wasn't allowed to play MacKenzie?

because that's what he's suggesting. 

Mackenzie's was odderer (not a word but it should be) in so far as he seems to have been old enough AND we were toiling to fill the left back position.  Plenty stand in pretendy left backs have come and gone or even the dreaded Wing back (which we didnt have either).

Just a complete blind spot for Derek since Logans prime.  And Logans impact was only because we'd been a clusterfuck at Right Back for the years previous to that.  

Considines involvement always said to me DM was all about height and strength at set pieces with basically at least 3 CHs on the park.  If he had to forfeit some goals from crosses from the wide positions as a result (and fuck me we did) then so be it. 

2 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Mackenzie's was odderer (not a word but it should be) in so far as he seems to have been old enough AND we were toiling to fill the left back position.  Plenty stand in pretendy left backs have come and gone or even the dreaded Wing back (which we didnt have either).

Just a complete blind spot for Derek since Logans prime.  And Logans impact was only because we'd been a clusterfuck at Right Back for the years previous to that.  

Considines involvement always said to me DM was all about height and strength at set pieces with basically at least 3 CHs on the park.  If he had to forfeit some goals from crosses from the wide positions as a result (and fuck me we did) then so be it. 

McInnes signed Greg Leigh twice last season rather than risk having to play Jack MacKenzie. And Leigh was injured at the time he signed both deals. 

That says it all. 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You think McInnes wasn't allowed to play MacKenzie?

because that's what he's suggesting. 

I suspect he was told if we signed somebody on loan to fill a position, then he had to be played if fit. ie Greg Leigh from 2 seasons back

5 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I suspect he was told if we signed somebody on loan to fill a position, then he had to be played if fit. ie Greg Leigh from 2 seasons back

Bit of a reach. 

I'd suspect that he felt obliged to play Leigh rather than forced because he'd amazingly managed to convince the club that Greg Leigh was an essential requirement. 

I'm sure the club would rather he played a youngster than sign a crock twice in one season. 

And, despite the fact that Leigh was injured for most of his time here last season, McInnes still didn't select MacKenzie . 

42 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Bit of a reach. 

I'd suspect that he felt obliged to play Leigh rather than forced because he'd amazingly managed to convince the club that Greg Leigh was an essential requirement. 

I'm sure the club would rather he played a youngster than sign a crock twice in one season. 

And, despite the fact that Leigh was injured for most of his time here last season, McInnes still didn't select MacKenzie . 

Have to agree with that.  No conspiracy per se, just Derek trying to validate his own mistake.  Twice.  Arguably at both the player and the Clubs expense.  In fact, not really an argument about either!

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Bit of a reach. 

It's rather convenient that both full backs emerged into the 1st team as soon as McInnes' had left the building. I suspect Sheerin didn't have a say in that either, and was all planned in advance. The 'stradejy' after all, is to blood young talent and sell em on at a premium. Would you want Derek doing that with two of your most prized young talents, when it was known - probably at the start of last season - that McInnes was on his way out. Don't forget Ramsay was it, was destined to go on loan to Atlanta 2.

Yes, Managers are supposed to pick the team, but we've seen loads of examples of Chairmen getting involved. Romanov just one example in Scotland. Not suggesting Cormack decided to play Hayes at full back when he had the option of McKenzie, but it may have been something as simple as a 'we've discussed with Simmie and we don't feel these lads are ready... you just stick to the 1st team squad and we'll release development players as and when'. But the whole Hernandez thing tells me there was more going on behind the scenes with the footballing policy of bringing in guys to sell them on at a profit. Far too coincidental that both full backs would debut with McInnes seat barely cold from his departure.

Anyway, if nothing else, what it does do is fill us all with confidence (or it should) that we have a decent youth system - just that (in the words of DC himself) you need the right team in place to bring them through playing the right style of football'. Little point in playing an attack minded full back if you've set your team up to be compact and bore the pants off of everyone. What we really need now is a couple of shithot strikers in the Erling Haaland mould.

58 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

It's rather convenient that both full backs emerged into the 1st team as soon as McInnes' had left the building. I suspect Sheerin didn't have a say in that either, and was all planned in advance. The 'stradejy' after all, is to blood young talent and sell em on at a premium. Would you want Derek doing that with two of your most prized young talents, when it was known - probably at the start of last season - that McInnes was on his way out. Don't forget Ramsay was it, was destined to go on loan to Atlanta 2.

Yes, Managers are supposed to pick the team, but we've seen loads of examples of Chairmen getting involved. Romanov just one example in Scotland. Not suggesting Cormack decided to play Hayes at full back when he had the option of McKenzie, but it may have been something as simple as a 'we've discussed with Simmie and we don't feel these lads are ready... you just stick to the 1st team squad and we'll release development players as and when'. But the whole Hernandez thing tells me there was more going on behind the scenes with the footballing policy of bringing in guys to sell them on at a profit. Far too coincidental that both full backs would debut with McInnes seat barely cold from his departure.

Anyway, if nothing else, what it does do is fill us all with confidence (or it should) that we have a decent youth system - just that (in the words of DC himself) you need the right team in place to bring them through playing the right style of football'. Little point in playing an attack minded full back if you've set your team up to be compact and bore the pants off of everyone. What we really need now is a couple of shithot strikers in the Erling Haaland mould.

Mackenzie was lined up for A2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

Looks like Derek is doing his talking through his pals. First the Ferguson family and now Shay. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/3447296/shay-logan-i-knew-my-time-at-aberdeen-was-up-when-derek-mcinnes-left/

think the writing was on the wall long before march for logan. strange statement to make. considering he moved onto a league 1 team after us.

great servant to the dons along with mcinnes and docherty though.

1 hour ago, Rico1903 said:

Looks like Derek is doing his talking through his pals. First the Ferguson family and now Shay. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/3447296/shay-logan-i-knew-my-time-at-aberdeen-was-up-when-derek-mcinnes-left/

If ever there was a statement that proved the "Jobs for the Boys" saying actually existed, it's that one.

Derek always said: ‘as long as I’m at this club, you’ll be at this club’. Those were his words from day one and in fairness, I was.

• Upvote 2

Aye dangerous words those.  I know where he and Derek are coming from and lets be blunt those lifers involved in fitba don't tend to be contract lawyers, but its missing the part that says whatever is best for the Club will ultimately be done whether you and your current manager like it or not. The alleged Ferguson gentleman's agreement fits in the same bracket.

Had a long term club servant like Willie Miller or even Consi been given leeway to see out his career with us you can understand said flexibility.  Shay with his weekly commute and plumber shenanigans hardly fits in the same bracket.

But yes, thats not to take away what he brought us, a real live full back.  Good whilst it lasted. 

Next. 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

think the writing was on the wall long before march for logan. strange statement to make. considering he moved onto a league 1 team after us.

great servant to the dons along with mcinnes and docherty though.

Aye was utter dog-shite for a good year or two and never had an competition.

No doubt you'll see Ash Taylor come out in defence of McInnes soon enough

None of this is rocket science or earth shattering stuff. It all started with the Jon Gallagher signing in summer of 2019; a more un Derek type signing you’d never find.

Then there was Ronnie 6 months later.

It probably does need clarifying but Derek knew he was out 18 months before he finally tripped. He was telling anybody walking their dogs that fact on Stonehaven beach of any morning.

If Glass had wanted Shay to stay, he would have, I’m confident of that. The reason he didn’t is cos he’s shit, not cos Diamond Dave said so

Prick swaggered into the Kingswells shoppie at 5.30 on Saturday, fuck knows how he made it from Balmoral Stadium in that time

• Upvote 1