Pre-Season 21/22

On 7/3/2021 at 8:26 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, brilliant idea.

We’ll just go in to the Hacken game with no games under our belt.

FFS 

What would we have learned by playing Cove? Nothing that would have prepared us for the match against the team that will kick us off the park.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 3

I still reckon we should use this competitive game away to Buckie Thistle with a crowd in attendance as a first team game.

Playing Caley, Reading and St Johnstone at Cormack Park is nothing other than glorified training sessions and is zero preparation for BK Hacken and Dundee United.

26 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I still reckon we should use this competitive game away to Buckie Thistle with a crowd in attendance as a first team game.

Playing Caley, Reading and St Johnstone at Cormack Park is nothing other than glorified training sessions and is zero preparation for BK Hacken and Dundee United.

Correct. 

2 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

What would we have learned by playing Cove? Nothing that would have prepared us for the match against the team that will kick us off the park.

Have you ever played football before? No matter how much training you do nothing replicates playing a game. Games is where the sharpness and extra fitness comes from. Much better with a game against cove than no game at all. 

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

Who do you suggest we play instead?

I really don’t like friendly matches,  and against lower league dross I just don’t see the point. If we are to play friendly matches then play against a far better calibre of opponent where you will be tested a lot better. It will tell you more about your own players also. 

• Downvote 2
  • Dildo 1
31 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

I really don’t like friendly matches,  and against lower league dross I just don’t see the point. If we are to play friendly matches then play against a far better calibre of opponent where you will be tested a lot better. It will tell you more about your own players also. 

You can still gain a lot from playing a proper match against anyone. Playing at Cormack Park is an excuse to play at 0mph, make 9 subs and players to feel zero pressure from the sidelines and very little pressure from the opposition. I'd be surprised if there is more than 1 bad tackle across the three games at cormack park. It does not replicate anything. Those at the club should be helping Glass take that learning from last year.

The proof of the preseason is when you are up against half decent opposition in Europe. It will tell you a fair bit about the manager and his players. We hadn’t qualified for the league stages because we were ill prepared and once up against semi decent opponents we faltered. I hope Glass will learn a lot more quickly than McInnes ever did and make our preseason worth while. 
The Cove match got scrapped….who is the first decent opponent we are up against to test our players more fully? 

• Downvote 2
25 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

The proof of the preseason is when you are up against half decent opposition in Europe. It will tell you a fair bit about the manager and his players. We hadn’t qualified for the league stages because we were ill prepared and once up against semi decent opponents we faltered. I hope Glass will learn a lot more quickly than McInnes ever did and make our preseason worth while. 
The Cove match got scrapped….who is the first decent opponent we are up against to test our players more fully? 

1 hour ago, maryhilldon said:

McInnes would have only just got back from Disney World. 

Very true. He did like a jaunt to Orlando every single year. He didn’t like to change his holiday destination just like the way he didn’t like to change his approach to football. He was a real boring b@stard through and through.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

Said the man who doesn’t see the point in pre-season games. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Said the man who doesn’t see the point in pre-season games. 

My point being that the quality of opposition we pick isn’t worth bothering about. You learn nothing of real note playing dross. 
I admit I don’t like preseason games and when you see who we normally play no wonder. 
Bring on the real stuff any day of the week. 
Still awaiting the answer to my question about who is the decent opposition we are playing in these friendly matches? 

7 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

My point being that the quality of opposition we pick isn’t worth bothering about. You learn nothing of real note playing dross. 
I admit I don’t like preseason games and when you see who we normally play no wonder. 
Still awaiting the answer to my question about who is the decent opposition we are playing in these friendly matches? 

Scottish top flight (St J) and championship (Inverness) and English Championship (Reading)?

Nothing wrong with that standard, just not enough games for my liking.

Why are we playing St.Johnstone? ?

Don’t we play them enough times in a season as it is. They bring nothing to the table that will set us up for the European matches. Inverness is another joke fixture…a diddy team. Play an English Premiership team and give ourselves a real challenge….Reading are rank. 
I fully expect us to run riot over them or I will be questioning the management team a bit more than normal. 

• Dildo 7
1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

St Johnstone, the team who’ve won more in 5 months than we have in 26 years?

Reading, who finished one place below the play offs to the EPL?

Seems decent enough to me.

My only question is why we’re only effectively playing two games (we play the above two on the same day so the squad will be split).

So it’s Inverness & either of Reading/St Johnstone for the players to prepare for Hacken. 

We should just play Celtic then if we are up against a Scottish team. If we are to play preseason matches then play against the top English league sides or a very decent standard of European team. Make the players work hard in these matches to sharpen them up for the European competition. 

• Dildo 1

Pre-season is about getting up match fitness, not about testing the sides footballing ability to the limit. The side should be easing back in to it, playing weaker sides first and gradually increasing the difficulty of the game. So when our first competitive game comes, we're up to speed. 

Wanting to play a "top English side" at the start of pre-season is just stupid. Our players would have to work hard as fuck to compete, when their muscles aren't used to such strenuous exertions and would therefore be more likely to get injured. 

A nonsense complaint. 

• Downvote 2

also most of the top teams in England and Europe are barely back to pre season (if at all) so nothing to be gained from playing against their fringe players and youth teams, different in the past when the Euro competitions didn't start with all the QR's and top sides were looking to get a run out against the likes of us but we will be into competitive games before they are ready to start.

Is today the day that we finally play a game? Someone said that they thought Caley was Tuesday? I don’t even mind it being behind closed doors I’d just like to hear what the score is and perhaps see the highlights of goals like last season. Obviously be nice to know if Ramirez scores. 

4 hours ago, slippers said:

Is today the day that we finally play a game? Someone said that they thought Caley was Tuesday? I don’t even mind it being behind closed doors I’d just like to hear what the score is and perhaps see the highlights of goals like last season. Obviously be nice to know if Ramirez scores. 

Does it really matter if any players score or not in what will essentially be a ‘fitness’ friendly kick about with both sides fielding about 22 players each?

If so, hopefully we don’t meet Partick in any friendlies, as they only got beat 1-0 by the Huns. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Dildo 1
32 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Sorry, this guys got a positive, POSITIVE 430 score?

Wtf

429 now,  anyway 

? that really upsets you I’m certain ?

Even though my posting is 99% of time done to annoy posters like you I am still struggling to match your levels of shitness & you aren’t even trying.

I find this quite concerning 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, slippers said:

Caley on Thursday and st Johnstone and Reading both on 16th. Seems like a poor schedule on run up to European game that are already into there season. 

They’re kick abouts. Just trying to get players somewhat up to some kind of ‘match’ fitness 

Btw MT. I got Bebo to install an auto +1 for me every time I post something referencing or attempting to annoy you.

He laughed & agreed. Said it would really wind you up, especially added to your auto -1 for all your posts.

All good fun MT. Just sit back & enjoy the attention 

he also allows my account the ability to +1 myself.

• Haha 3