Pre-Season 21/22

The schedule is absolute nonsense and defies logic. Club seemingly trying to avoid engaging with the public by only playing closed doors games and not arranging enough games. 

Hacken will have played 3 competitive games and 2 friendlies in the time we've played 3 friendlies on a training pitch, 2 of which were the same day, likely meaning most players will have played 2 games maximum. 

If we pump hacken on 22nd I'll take it back but this schedule doesn't feel right at all. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RUL said:

The schedule is absolute nonsense and defies logic. Club seemingly trying to avoid engaging with the public by only playing closed doors games and not arranging enough games. 

Hacken will have played 3 competitive games and 2 friendlies in the time we've played 3 friendlies on a training pitch, 2 of which were the same day, likely meaning most players will have played 2 games maximum. 

If we pump hacken on 22nd I'll take it back but this schedule doesn't feel right at all. 

Yes, totally agree. Broken record this week but it's madness the first team are not stealing that Buckie game off of the Reserve Team. It's a competitive match, against a willing side and in front of a crowd. The whole squad are training together every day so the threat of covid is almost the same regardless of sending the first pick players or not.

In other news I see Glass is saying he's very impressed by some of the youngsters training with the first team and although he does not want to put pressure on any of the players he expects there will be more debuts sooner rather than later. Well there is not actually that many that have not already had their debut I can only think of Barron, Hanratty, Turner, Power and Mykyta

• Upvote 1

As always the question re games is relative to what?  We were hardly a slick oiled machine at this stage under McInnes either.  Even having played friendlies the chat at Q1 was usually “just here to see a formation” and “Fa’s ‘at?”  Equally the chat at Q3 was usually “Why the fuck do we not have a settled formation yet?” And “Surely Bryson can’t be inured already?”

I can’t comment on the Q4 chat.

7 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

As always the question re games is relative to what?  We were hardly a slick oiled machine at this stage under McInnes either.  Even having played friendlies the chat at Q1 was usually “just here to see a formation” and “Fa’s ‘at?”  Equally the chat at Q3 was usually “Why the fuck do we not have a settled formation yet?” And “Surely Bryson can’t be inured already?”

I can’t comment on the Q4 chat.

We did the whole closed doors only thing last year and it was a miserable failure as we were not ready for the rangers game. No learnings taken from that and fed in to Glass. Should be job of DoF to say that didnt work last year.

3 hours ago, RUL said:

Completely agree.

I hope it doesn’t bite us on the backside against Hacken. 

18 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

We did the whole closed doors only thing last year and it was a miserable failure as we were not ready for the rangers game. No learnings taken from that and fed in to Glass. Should be job of DoF to say that didnt work last year.

What do you expect us to do this year? Open the stadium to fans for friendlies?  We're still in the middle of a pandemic, with numbers at their highest point ever. We're not going to have fans in the stadium for a fitness exercise. 

The lack of games is a concern, but again that could be down to teams cancelling due to Covid. There's been a number of games already cancelled due to teams isolating. 

• Dildo 1
9 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

What do you expect us to do this year? Open the stadium to fans for friendlies?  We're still in the middle of a pandemic, with numbers at their highest point ever. We're not going to have fans in the stadium for a fitness exercise. 

The lack of games is a concern, but again that could be down to teams cancelling due to Covid. There's been a number of games already cancelled due to teams isolating. 

We could be playing Highland League teams (or peterhead, or cove, or elgin, or montrose etc) at their grounds and doing all our changing on the team bus. Would be very decent prep and comparable covid risk (possibly even less actually) than taking three teams inside cormack park.

42 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

We could be playing Highland League teams (or peterhead, or cove, or elgin, or montrose etc) at their grounds and doing all our changing on the team bus. Would be very decent prep and comparable covid risk (possibly even less actually) than taking three teams inside cormack park.

There's games being postponed left right and centre at the moment. So guessing that's why we're either not taking the risk or not able to play certain teams.

Ross County just forfeited their league cup game. 

Turrif Postponed a friendly recently.

Hearts cancelled a friendly due to an outbreak.

That's just the ones i'm aware of, and i'm sure there are more. 

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

There's games being postponed left right and centre at the moment. So guessing that's why we're either not taking the risk or not able to play certain teams.

Ross County just forfeited their league cup game. 

Turrif Postponed a friendly recently.

Hearts cancelled a friendly due to an outbreak.

That's just the ones i'm aware of, and i'm sure there are more. 

Yea, I see all that, and that we need to balance the risk between fitness and losing further players to isolation. 

30 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Yea, I see all that, and that we need to balance the risk between fitness and losing further players to isolation. 

The club are in a bit of a no win situation though. 

Teams are minimising friendlies and unnecessary travel to reduce covid risk so it doesn't end up with them having to forfeit competitive games. 

Even trying to get teams to agree to friendlies will be extremely challenging in the current situation. Most of the Scottish teams start competitive games this weekend.  They're not going to risk a friendly with us in the middle of a league cup programme. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The club are in a bit of a no win situation though. 

Teams are minimising friendlies and unnecessary travel to reduce covid risk so it doesn't end up with them having to forfeit competitive games. 

Even trying to get teams to agree to friendlies will be extremely challenging in the current situation. Most of the Scottish teams start competitive games this weekend.  They're not going to risk a friendly with us in the middle of a league cup programme. 

The rangers are welcoming Real Madrid at end of month. And going to Blackpool with massive travelling support. Celtic were away down in wales in training camp. It’s important to get up to speed. If we get past hacken it’s fine but if we get knocked out the club should be held to account. 

4 minutes ago, slippers said:

The rangers are welcoming Real Madrid at end of month. And going to Blackpool with massive travelling support. Celtic were away down in wales in training camp. It’s important to get up to speed. If we get past hacken it’s fine but if we get knocked out the club should be held to account. 

If its clear the players aren't fit enough and that's why we've been beaten then yes. 

But if we played a friendly down in Blackpool and we had half our first team out due to a positive covid test v Hacken then folk would have plenty to complain about. 

It's not straight forward is all I'm saying. 

I'm more concerned about whether the team is good enough rather than whether they'll be fit enough. 

13 minutes ago, RUL said:

It's the lack of information also? What's wrong with providing updates or even a live stream. 

Was hoping to see starting lineups and live score updates/subs at very least. There will be a match report it says on website. So expect to see something appear later in day. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

I was hoping they'd have the closed door games streaming on RedTV. Bit of an oversight I feel, could have made a bit of cash off the games. 

Think there is maybe a little bit of not showing our cards in terms of style of play on lead up to European game. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Tord31 said:

In fairness, it was very unlucky having our top 3 strikers out and having to play Anderson by himself up top.

Aberdeen First Half Team:

Joe Lewis, Ross McCrorie, Andy Considine, Scott Brown, Niall McGinn, Jay Emmaunel-Thomas, Connor McLennan, Lewis Ferguson, Calvin Ramsay, Kieran Ngwenya, Matty Kennedy.

Aberdeen Second Half Team:

Gary Woods, Ross McCrorie, Andy Considine, Jack MacKenzie, Christian Ramirez, Ryan Hedges, Dylan McGeouch, Funso Ojo, Jonny Hayes, Jack Gurr, Dean Campbell.

No Gallagher or Jenks today. And looks like Consi and McCrorie played central defence in both halves.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:49 PM, RED_JOHN said:

We should just play Celtic then if we are up against a Scottish team. If we are to play preseason matches then play against the top English league sides or a very decent standard of European team. Make the players work hard in these matches to sharpen them up for the European competition. 

Pre-season friendlies are about getting the players fitness levels up etc. What good would it do getting pumped from teams much better than us? What would that prove? 

No Gallagher or Jenks today. Its such a bizarre situation that we are going to go into the Hacken game with vast majority of squad having only played 1 90 min match next Friday. And even then the squads I assume will be mixed so won't even get a chance to play our first 11 together.

Aberdeen First Half Team:

Joe Lewis, Ross McCrorie, Andy Considine, Scott Brown, Niall McGinn, Jay Emmaunel-Thomas, Connor McLennan, Lewis Ferguson, Calvin Ramsay, Kieran Ngwenya, Matty Kennedy.

Aberdeen Second Half Team:

Gary Woods, Ross McCrorie, Andy Considine, Jack MacKenzie, Christian Ramirez, Ryan Hedges, Dylan McGeouch, Funso Ojo, Jonny Hayes, Jack Gurr, Dean Campbell.

4 hours ago, slippers said:

The not real rangers are welcoming Real Madrid at end of month. And going to Blackpool with massive travelling support. Celtic were away down in wales in training camp. It’s important to get up to speed. If we get past hacken it’s fine but if we get knocked out the club should be held to account. 

FIFY

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Pre-season friendlies are about getting the players fitness levels up etc. What good would it do getting pumped from teams much better than us? What would that prove? 

We would learn a lot more playing a better standard of team than playing the likes of Inverness. 
Anyway it was a poor result today score wise…I suppose all we will be bothered about is how the players got through the match. 
Also noticed Declan Gallagher and High Jenks didn’t have any involvement whatsoever.

• Downvote 1