Aberdeen 2 - 0 Dundee Utd

Decent performance that yesterday, nothing fancy but at the same time a country mile better than anything we have seen in the last two or three seasons. Johnny Hayes movement for the opening goal was excellent as was his running and work-rate for the duration of time he was on the park, great stuff Johnny keep it up.
The two young fullbacks are like a breath of fresh great stuff from both of them and it's great to see. Ramsey deserving his MOTM
The big lad JET looks as awkward as fk but he is a football player that is for sure, and for his size has great ball control and links up well with everyone round about him. Ramirez also looks good and at long fkn last it looks as if we have found ourselves a proper number 9, right place right time to get on the end of an excellent cross for the second goal that put the tie to bed, well done that man.

As for Scott Brown it is a joy to watch the way he literally just strolls through games like that and totally commands and bosses the middle of the park, he is going to go on to be a superb signing for us, as much as we all hated him at Timothy it's superb to have that quality in a red shirt.

A good start to the season, now lets build on that onwards and upwards.

Pishy clappy pishy clappy

1 minute ago, blowupsheep said:

Decent performance that yesterday, nothing fancy but at the same time a country mile better than anything we have seen in the last two or three seasons. Johnny Hayes movement for the opening goal was excellent as was his running and work-rate for the duration of time he was on the park, great stuff Johnny keep it up.
The two young fullbacks are like a breath of fresh great stuff from both of them and it's great to see. Ramsey deserving his MOTM
The big lad JET looks as awkward as fk but he is a football player that is for sure, and for his size has great ball control and links up well with everyone round about him. Ramirez also looks good and at long fkn last it looks as if we have found ourselves a proper number 9, right place right time to get on the end of an excellent cross for the second goal that put the tie to bed, well done that man.

As for Scott Brown it is a joy to watch the way he literally just strolls through games like that and totally commands and bosses the middle of the park, he is going to go on to be a superb signing for us, as much as we all hated him at Timothy it's superb to have that quality in a red shirt.

A good start to the season, now lets build on that onwards and upwards.

Pishy clappy pishy clappy

Sensible post min. 

1 hour ago, blowupsheep said:

Johnny Hayes movement for the opening goal was excellent as was his running and work-rate for the duration of time he was on the park, great stuff Johnny keep it up.

Good management from Glass as well to take him off after 60 minutes and keep him fresh for Thursday's game

13 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Agree about Mackenzie. There's something there and it'll come the more games he plays. Just needs to be more forward thinking. He said as much himself in his post match interview. 

He'll be a good player for us. Which is good as he wouldn't be here at all I don't think if McInnes were still here. 

Agree about getting Gallagher into the team. It'll happen sooner than later.

I think you're being harsh on Ojo. Others are being too.

I think a lot are blinded by their opinion of him under that negative fuck of an ex manager we had. His shocking miss aside away at Hacken, Ojo hasn't been that bad this season. Far better than he showed under McInnes. 

Ojo is definitely showing a bit more enthusiasm but i'v yet to see any end product from him.

Seems to have a mental block further up the park.

I missed the first half hour yesterday, but from the rest of the game it seemed like a good performance all round.

It did get a bit stale after we scored the second - I don't think it was a case of McInnes style "game management", I just think we looked a bit tired perhaps and there wasn't the same urgency to get forward, and to make the runs necessary to retain the ball quite so well.

I was surprised McCrorie started in defence again as I expected Gallagher to come in. McCrorie's pace is very useful in the centre of defence, but his positioning and decision making is a bit suspect at times - mainly because he hasn't had a run of games in that position. I'd still prefer to see Gallagher there, with McCrorie pushed into midfield instead of Ojo. 

Hayes looked better pushed further forward, and particularly after the goal his confidence was up and seemed to be doing the simple things a whole lot better than he was in the last couple of games.

JET had his moments again and Ramirez led the line well and took his goal expertly.

We do miss Hedges when he's not in the team - he brings pace and excitement that we don't really have otherwise. 

My worry is the lack of game-changers on the bench - if we're wanting to see a game out, we can bring on the likes of McGeouch or Campbell etc, but if we were chasing the game and needing a goal, who would you bring on? McLennan, McGinn and Kennedy are the only other attacking players in the squad... 2 are useless and 1 is pretty much past it. Interesting that Jenks didn't get on yesterday.

56 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Ojo is definitely showing a bit more enthusiasm but i'v yet to see any end product from him.

Seems to have a mental block further up the park.

What do you mean end product? His job will be to run at players, put them under pressure and dispossess them. As far as I can tell he’s done that effectively. Everybody knows that he won’t bang in goals or be effective in the final third, we have other players for that. 

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, Simmies_studs said:

That Mulgrew challenge that took out Funso!
Reminded me of when McKenna won the ball v some Celtic player but was judged to have been too aggressive and endangered the opponent. 

McKenna - red card.

Mulgrew - Throw in.

Both should have been yellows. 

It certainly seems from the Euro's and in the European games so far that referee's have been instructed to let more physical contact play on. Too many players were dropping down with barely a touch and now they're allowing the physicality to apply in the games.

We need to be aware and get stuck in as this will play right into the hands of hammer thrower teams

1 hour ago, Simmies_studs said:

That Mulgrew challenge that took out Funso!
Reminded me of when McKenna won the ball v some Celtic player but was judged to have been too aggressive and endangered the opponent. 

McKenna - red card.

Mulgrew - Throw in.

Both should have been yellows. 

What made it worse was the free kick given against Scott Brown a few minutes before when he clearly took the ball and barely touched the Utd player in his follow through. 

13 minutes ago, Simmies_studs said:

They seem to be going too far in the other direction. That hearts boy shoulda had a yellow at least. 
As much as I love a good solid challenge, there’s a line, and when it’s crossed, players get injured. 

like you say, it’s playing into the hammer throwers hands.

Halliday's was a red all day long. No effort to get tot he ball and could have been a career ending tackle.

Being physical should be part of the game, being reckless with it should not

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Sydney_Red said:

As a footballing spectacle I didn’t enjoy that at all. Which was entirely down to the horse cock of an approach that UTD took to the game. Perhaps they were trying to get bodies back and hit on the counter, but they made a total arse of it and holy fuck their supporters are in for a long season. I know I should think big picture and be glad of the return of the new firm derby, but fuck it. I hope they get relegated.

Not getting the Ojo hate. Yes, I found him horribly depressing last season, and he has made some spazmoid errors this season, but he has put in three solid performances and looks so much better than last season. Bravo.

we were good value. I know we need to be patient when other teams sit in, but a little bit more direct needed I think. JET’s touch is lovely. McRimmer’s vision fantastic. Lots to look forward to.

big week coming up with two away games. Let’s see if we can get some results away from home.

I think it’s fair to say his performances have improved albeit that wouldn’t be difficult. However, I think the question is if he is the best person to play in that position. If you want someone who can close down players, put in challenges but also be effective in the final third (where Ojo is clearly struggling) then arguably McCrorie might be a better option? 

3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

My slating him will have zero impact on him scoring

And, if he scores,  I'll stop slating him

I think his work rate and approach play up to a point is good. But whilst I agree he's not an attacking mid as such, his position does invariably mean he will get chances and so far it looks like he's not able to finish. I see this as a very fatal flaw. 

Watching the games in the stadium, I totally get that Ojo suits Glass approach, he does a lot of work and it's clear he can follow tactics. But as much as I hate to agree with MT, we need someone in that role who can stick the ball in the net.

Ojo has been miles better this season. If we'd just signed him, many would think he might be a decent acquisition.

That being said, I'd much rather have Gallagher in for McCrorie, and the latter in for Ojo. Ross is better at all the things needed in that midfield role: tackling, shooting, passing, ground covered and basically bossing a game. Maybe Ojo has him on defensive positioning.

I still don't see McCrorie as a centre back. Doesn't look comfortable in that role yet, as is often out of position. 

I'm hoping to see more from McCrorie this season. He was shuttled around and stifled under McInnes, and his more than solid start with us petered out. 

If Ferguson goes, I'd like to see McRorie in the middle, not even necessarily as a defensive mid. Think with Brown mentoring him he could be a very good player for us. 

6 hours ago, Rico1903 said:

I think it’s fair to say his performances have improved albeit that wouldn’t be difficult. However, I think the question is if he is the best person to play in that position. If you want someone who can close down players, put in challenges but also be effective in the final third (where Ojo is clearly struggling) then arguably McCrorie might be a better option? 

Don’t disagree with any of that. The attacking three midfielders have to do much more than just attack, there is a massive box to box component and they really need to do a lot of things. McCrorie, Hedges, ojo, Ferguson and heyes all have their strengths and weaknesses, and while Ojos weaknesses are particularly acute, I’ve no problem with any of them playing there at the moment. I think we can all agree that Ojo is much improved, as is the whole team under Glass, so Something is gelling and I would be sticking with him for now.

in fact, it’s odd that we discuss it so much. The attacking three midfielders are where we have plenty of options and we shouldn’t be so worried. The need for an extra striker and another centre half (and probably in that order) is of far more concern than whether or not ojo starts (imho). 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, blowupsheep said:

As for Scott Brown it is a joy to watch the way he literally just strolls through games like that and totally commands and bosses the middle of the park, he is going to go on to be a superb signing for us, as much as we all hated him at Timothy it's superb to have that quality in a red shirt

Spot on. Didn't hate but did rate (highly) at celtic.

5 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Mulgrew took the ball fairly, but it was an overly robust challenge and he took the man out after winning the ball.

Seen them given.

3 hours ago, RUL said:

I think it was a great tackle but rare to see a tackle with such force allowed. If they start letting all these tackles go it'll be much better for the game. 

2 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Yes but dangerous if it’s going to be left to ref discretion.  What, it’s a foul if the big crowd shouts loudest?  Or if it’s a good player with potential to go up that’s challenged?

So fit are we saying? There was nothing wrong with Simmie's tackle?

It certainly seems that refs across Europe are allowing more physicality and clamping down on players going down too easily

6 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

It certainly seems that refs across Europe are allowing more physicality and clamping down on players going down too easily

About fucking time though. Foreign players have been rolling about for fuck all for as long as I can remember and the European refs have been buying their shit the whole time.