Breidablik 2 - 3 Aberdeen

5 hours ago, Sydney_Red said:

I think we can all agree on that. But let’s acknowledge he’s there to do much more than that, and he’s doing a lot of it consistently well (if unspectacularly)

As I’m definitely in the ojo is rubbish camp on here could you explain to me what he is in the team to do and how he is doing it consistently well to change my mind  

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

For me they were a level below Hacken, possibly a good few levels.  Maybe he's supplied with some decent drugs in Reykjavik... 

As for the physical part, deary me. Their number 4 especially was a right dirty bastard (and absolutely shite at Fitba). Twice in the first half he got away with a late challenge on Ramirez.  Eventually booked in the 2nd half for another shocker of a challenge on Ojo 

They looked shite, so hard to imagine how bad that Vienna side is. 

Still think Ojo should be replaced, probably by playing Hayes further up with McKenzie at LB. 

Kudos to the guy for not taking the easy option of Salford/Wrexham and undoubtedly being decent this year so far. 

But apart from being tidy and better, he doesn’t actually offer much. Defensively he hung Ramsay out to dry last night by never doubling up with him. Attacking wise he really just got in the way. In midfield, he needs to massively improve his defensive and attacking capabilities. 

So far this season, he would probably average 5.5/10. Way better than last season’s 4.5/10. But still not good enough. 

6 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Ojo has done okay - nothing better, nothing worse, just okay. I don't get folk who are saying he's perfectly suited to the role Glass is asking him to play... for a start the role he's playing means he's going to find himself in the opposition box fairly frequently with opportunities to create or score - he's bloomin useless at both of those things, as seen in the opening 4 games of the season.

I think when Hayes and Hedges are both fit I'd be playing them alongside Brown and Ferguson in midfield. Hayes can do pretty much the same as Ojo but is more of a danger going forward, as seen by his goal against Utd. Hayes has just as much energy, more pace, more aggression etc. He's hopeless at crossing at shooting at times too, but at least he doesn't wet his pants when he gets near the penalty box.

While we're winning games it doesn't matter too much that Ojo is wasting opportunities every game... but when we get to tighter games and his missed chances are the difference between drawing and losing, or winning and drawing, then folk will realise that he's not actually cut out for the position he's playing in.

Good post and accurately reflects the state of Ojo. He is neither magic nor shite. Probably wouldn’t make our best starting 11, but certainly gives us more options. I’m sure we’ll see McCrorie in the middle at some point, but I think we can all agree the option of a back three worked well during the week.

what we can absolutely all agree on is that he has been murder in the final third. That’s something that might come if he has a settled run in the team. Fingers crossed for him, I’m loving the fact he has turned it around from such a shite state of affairs last season.

6 hours ago, thurso said:

As I’m definitely in the ojo is rubbish camp on here could you explain to me what he is in the team to do and how he is doing it consistently well to change my mind  

What you mean like pass the ball, control the ball, make yourself available for a pass, challenge for the ball, and position yourself correctly to give your team the best chance?  He is consistently doing these well enough - you only need to compare him to the same player of 4 months ago who struggled to do any of these at all.

47 minutes ago, Sydney_Red said:

What you mean like pass the ball, control the ball, make yourself available for a pass, challenge for the ball, and position yourself correctly to give your team the best chance?  He is consistently doing these well enough - you only need to compare him to the same player of 4 months ago who struggled to do any of these at all.

He can pass it if it’s under 10 yards. He’s a footballer he should be able to control it. He hardly challenges it when he does he’s week and gets pushed off the ball. His positioning is poor they pass the ball round him and he doesn’t help out the full back when they break forward. 

You said above he’s poor in the final third  but that might come with games. He’s scored 4 goals his whole career he’s not going to miraculously turn into an attacking goalscoring midfielder. Im afraid he’s done nothing to change my mind. In my opinion we have better players to play that position than him 

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, NEM said:

Ojo is shite and is ingrained with the third place loser mentality we need to cut out of the club. Get the useless prick to fuck 

Haha straight to the point. I'm pretty much of that mindset too - he's better than he was, but that's no great achievement. If we're really going to progress we need better than him in that attacking midfield role. Hayes can already do a better job there, and surely we can source someone on similar wages to Ojo (he'll be on a decent whack considering we paid a fee for him and outbid Hibs to get him) who is more suited to the role.

While he's in the team, I hope he does well, but we're going to miss out on goals because of him as he doesn't have a clue what to do when he gets near the box. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, NEM said:

Ojo is shite and is ingrained with the third place loser mentality we need to cut out of the club. Get the useless prick to fuck 

You need to sack that crap viewpoint that anyone who says we can’t win the league, champions league, World Cup and olympics is a loser.

We’d need a miracle to finish above the huns this season, it’s realism. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Do you think Ojo got a recall because the McGrath deal didn't happen? 

McGrath would have slotted into that Ojo role quite nicely. 

Thats my theory. We missed out on McGrath or another player, and that contributed to the Ojo turnaround more than any 'excellent in training' story. 

The fact they asked him to sit out training for three days while they negotiated with Salford says everything.

10 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Do you think Ojo got a recall because the McGrath deal didn't happen? 

McGrath would have slotted into that Ojo role quite nicely. 

Remember Jets golf day videos a few days into pre-season when Ojo muttered something like 'Siberia'. Most thought it was because he was out in the cold with McInnes, that would have been around the time that Glass tried to get him out the door.

19 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

You need to sack that crap viewpoint that anyone who says we can’t win the league, champions league, World Cup and olympics is a loser.

We’d need a miracle to finish above the huns this season, it’s realism. 

That’s the spirit! ?

When did we enter the champions league, World Cup and olympics?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Thats my theory. We missed out on McGrath or another player, and that contributed to the Ojo turnaround more than any 'excellent in training' story. 

The fact they asked him to sit out training for three days while they negotiated with Salford says everything.

Was around the time we were being heavily linked withJackson Irvine too.

17 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

Remember Jets golf day videos a few days into pre-season when Ojo muttered something like 'Siberia'. Most thought it was because he was out in the cold with McInnes, that would have been around the time that Glass tried to get him out the door.

Aye those comments can be seen in a different light now. 

40 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

McGrath & Ojo are nothing like each other as players though.

Ojo gets a nose bleed when he gets within 30 yards of the oppositions goal

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

McGrath & Ojo are nothing like each other as players though.

Ojo gets a nose bleed when he gets within 30 yards of the oppositions goa

I assume Glass looked at his midfielders and didn't have anyone that would fit that role comfortably as it requires a fair bit of running. Hence the temporary reprieve for Ojo. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Attacking mid apparently. 

Get the feeling he may end up back at Brighton in January through lack of game time 

You'd think then that he could play that role that Ojo is playing if he's an attacking midfielder. 

There were some that said he's nae the most mobile of players though. 

Will be interesting to see if he gets any game time today.