Jack Mackenzie

52 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Doig and Hickey miles ahead, although will probably rather play Hickey on the right due to the depth of the left. 

Greg Taylor better than McKenzie too. 

Will take a crisis for him to get a cap. Which is possible 

Correct. He’s a long way down the list, if he’s even on it at all.

That said Considine was in the same position and it eventually happened for him, so I guess you never know. 

Leven saying what most of us have been saying in a nutshell about MacKenzie. Really good going forward (though some will argue this) 🙄 he just needs better final pass/delivery or decisions in final 3rd but he is definitely very strong when ‘bombing’ fwd. 

He can be decent defensively (or I thought that was his biggest strength previously over Ramsay for example) but I do think his defensive game has suffered (as you would expect) now that he’s being asked to focus/improve his attacking side. 

If we actually had the quality of central defenders a club like ours actually deserves then MacKenzie would be very decent & all aspects of his game would be allowed to improve with time & safety in knowledge of what’s left behind him to cover for the odd ‘lapse’ 

MacKenzie hasn’t had the benefit of decent consistent team mates to help his game imo. He’s been thrown in at deep end with inconsistent teams through lack of other options & he’s also had Shinnie as captain for a season & half which cannot help 🤣

36 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Correct. He’s a long way down the list, if he’s even on it at all.

That said Considine was in the same position and it eventually happened for him, so I guess you never know. 

Centre back probably one of our weakest areas though. McKenzie has world class players ahead of him 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Doig and Hickey miles ahead, although will probably rather play Hickey on the right due to the depth of the left. 

Greg Taylor better than McKenzie too. 

Will take a crisis for him to get a cap. Which is possible 

Iv not seen enough of Doig but hopefully is good but as you say right now need hickey on the right. 

taylor isn’t much better than Mackenzie 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Centre back probably one of our weakest areas though. McKenzie has world class players ahead of him 

We’re pretty shite in GK,CH & Striker department. Both defensive area weakness are multiplied because they affect each other but we’re as piss poor up front 

4 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Leven saying what most of us have been saying in a nutshell about MacKenzie. Really good going forward (though some will argue this) 🙄 he just needs better final pass/delivery or decisions in final 3rd but he is definitely very strong when ‘bombing’ fwd. 

He can be decent defensively (or I thought that was his biggest strength previously over Ramsay for example) but I do think his defensive game has suffered (as you would expect) now that he’s being asked to focus/improve his attacking side. 

If we actually had the quality of central defenders a club like ours actually deserves then MacKenzie would be very decent & all aspects of his game would be allowed to improve with time & safety in knowledge of what’s left behind him to cover for the odd ‘lapse’ 

MacKenzie hasn’t had the benefit of decent consistent team mates to help his game imo. He’s been thrown in at deep end with inconsistent teams through lack of other options & he’s also had Shinnie as captain for a season & half which cannot help 🤣

Yeah "really strong going forward" apart from "decision making, final passing and delivery"

Lol

The only thing remotely similar in Tierney and mackenzie is upper body strength

That's it - this is another "Stephen Payne is like beckham" comment

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yeah "really strong going forward" apart from "decision making, final passing and delivery"

Lol

Yes indeed,what a load of tosh this morning from Peter Leven.

6 hours ago, thurso said:

Iv not seen enough of Doig but hopefully is good but as you say right now need hickey on the right. 

taylor isn’t much better than Mackenzie 

Taylor has done a lot more than McKenzie. Immense for killie and stayed in the Celtic team. McKenzie got a bit to go before that. 

and if only McKenzie, hickey and Nathan Patterson are fit McKenzie isn’t getting a game. 

he’s got loads to prove but he’s on the right track to improve 

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

He's better than Greg Taylor.

Also Anthony Ralston has been capped numerous times by Scotland.

Sad that folk put down MacKenzie so much. 

He’s not better than Taylor though.

And then there is Hickey, Tierney, Robertson, Doig and probably more.

Right back we are weaker but MacKenzie seems to only be used on the left back that I’ve seen.

He’s nowhere near Scotland selection sorry.

Right back is much weaker, I only really rate Hickey there tbh.

Patterson is overrated. Ralston is MacKenzie level.

But there’s Max Johnson and Harrison Ashby to come through, and Ramsay maybe.

Possibly even Livramento although seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Taylor has done a lot more than McKenzie. Immense for killie and stayed in the Celtic team. McKenzie got a bit to go before that. 

and if only McKenzie, hickey and Nathan Patterson are fit McKenzie isn’t getting a game. 

he’s got loads to prove but he’s on the right track to improve 

I’ll be honest I don’t know if Taylor was immense for killie, I don’t remember him playing and thinking wow he was great but he has done well to keep getting picked when Celtic keep spending money on left backs but he still plays, so maybe he is decent. 

Your right if it’s between hickey Patterson and Mackenzie for the two positions hickey and Paterson will play but god knows why when Patterson is awful. 
But with guys like O’Donnell, ralston and McGinn getting games at right back Mackenzie is no worse than them 

19 minutes ago, thurso said:

I’ll be honest I don’t know if Taylor was immense for killie, I don’t remember him playing and thinking wow he was great but he has done well to keep getting picked when Celtic keep spending money on left backs but he still plays, so maybe he is decent. 

Your right if it’s between hickey Patterson and Mackenzie for the two positions hickey and Paterson will play but god knows why when Patterson is awful. 
But with guys like O’Donnell, ralston and McGinn getting games at right back Mackenzie is no worse than them 

Taylor was class for killie the season they finished 3rd. 

Mackenzie is no worse than them, I agree. But you’ve kinda answered it yourself by saying Patterson is shit. The competition at right (wing)back is nothing like it is for left (wing)back for a Scotland shirt 

6 hours ago, Millertime said:

Lol

Aye he’s certainly nae Bojan Miovski 

6 hours ago, Millertime said:

Lol

But it is his main strength (that’s all Leven is saying) he’s strong on counter/running fwd but clearly needs to improve end product 

The only likeness he made to Tierney was that strength running fwd. 

Not exactly like he’s going to compare him to a shite LB is it. He compared him to what he considers someone he should learn from & aspire to 🤷

Not like you to pedantically take it as him saying he’s the same as him/as good as him 🙄

‘Final pass AND delivery’ another way to exaggerate like it’s an abundance of things when you could have used ‘or’ but that wouldn’t give same effect 

could simplify it to just poor decision making once in nose bleed territory. 

Frustrations of a shite team have made it very hard for players like MacKenzie to learn/improve because they get slaughtered for any mistakes by a very frustrated support. We’ve all had a shite season & very few (none in your case (see Miovski as example) players have escaped criticism.

MacKenzie is far from a finished product & I can think of very few (if any) LB’s in the SPFL that are as it is notoriously one of the hardest roles for clubs to fill at our level & actual keep players.

That challenge where he ran the length of the pitch at Ibrox early in the season to take the ball and nail Goldson in the process, was an absolute thing of beauty and I enjoyed as much as any of the goals that day. If anyone could kindly share a link to the video. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Proud Dandy said:

That challenge where he ran the length of the pitch at Ibrox early in the season to take the ball and nail Goldson in the process, was an absolute thing of beauty and I enjoyed as much as any of the goals that day. If anyone could kindly share a link to the video. 

When he was charging over to try and make the tackle I nearly covered my eyes, expecting him to be late and get carded, probably red due to the pace he was steaming in at. When he won the tackle and the throw in the cheers from us in the ground was almost equal to a goal. At that moment I knew we were going to win, it was our day. 
Everyone singing to the loon after when they came over was an amazing feeling, so he must have been on cloud 9,  although he looked sheepish (excuse the pun). A humble guy who is improving each season. 
What a fuckin day that was. 

• Upvote 1