Raith Rovers 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Fear we are in for a very tough week. Qarabag away followed up 3 days later with a trip to Tynecastle. 

Currently, the players look tired every time we play due to the number of fixtures. Yesterdays result is incredibly frustrating. We looked very comfortable going into half time before a complete collapse in the second which I put down to the number of changes made and player fatigue.

We desperately need a 3rd striker and another defender. And thats just the minimum.

Sometimes I wonder whats the point of playing in Europe. We never make the group stages and we generally suffer domestically as a result of participating in the Europa/Conference league. Injuries always occur as a result. If by some miracle we make the group stages, Im not confident in Cormack to sanction the  funds to provide us with both the quality or the squad depth required to compete in Europe and domestically. A couple of average loanee signings from England ain't going to cut it.

3 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

Fear we are in for a very tough week. Qarabag away followed up 3 days later with a trip to Tynecastle. 

Currently, the players look tired every time we play due to the number of fixtures. Yesterdays result is incredibly frustrating. We looked very comfortable going into half time before a complete collapse in the second which I put down to the number of changes made and player fatigue.

We desperately need a 3rd striker and another defender. And thats just the minimum.

Sometimes I wonder whats the point of playing in Europe. We never make the group stages and we generally suffer domestically as a result of participating in the Europa/Conference league. Injuries always occur as a result. If by some miracle we make the group stages, Im not confident in Cormack to sanction the  funds to provide us with both the quality or the squad depth required to compete in Europe and domestically. A couple of average loanee signings from England ain't going to cut it.

Player fatigue ?

Most of the players against Raith had hardly played a full 90 mins.

None of us remotely expected us to be challenging for trophies this season given how last season went, a new manager insitu and coming through a global pandemic the likes of which won't be seen for at least another 100 years.

Our first few results gave us too much hope, but the fact is we are in the midst of a big old rebuild and Rome wasn't built in a day. We have glaring needs at centre half and striker, you would like to think that they are at least being attempted at being  addressed but we cannot force any club to sell anyone and so it may not happen at all this window, although with 2 weeks left, a loan or 2 certainly shouldn't be out of the question as a stop-gap measure.

Te big bonus is still being in Europe and facing a side who are most definitely beatable over 2 legs. Do that and we are looking at earning serious cash (at our level) that definitely wouldn't have been budgeted for and you would like to think that Glass will be given a fair chunk of it to improve the squad in January and next summer. After that I think we can really judge him....a trophy should be expected rather than hoped for next season

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Player fatigue ?

Most of the players against Raith had hardly played a full 90 mins.

In that we made a number of changes due to players needing rested. Simply put, the players that replaced the usual first 11 are in the main not good enough.

I love McGinn and he's probably my favourite player since he joined under Brown but sadly he's done. McLennan is on par with Kennedy. McCrorie looked exhausted.

Gallagher was probably the only one to get pass marks yesterday.

43 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

None of us remotely expected us to be challenging for trophies this season given how last season went, a new manager insitu and coming through a global pandemic the likes of which won't be seen for at least another 100 years.

Our first few results gave us too much hope, but the fact is we are in the midst of a big old rebuild and Rome wasn't built in a day. We have glaring needs at centre half and striker, you would like to think that they are at least being attempted at being  addressed but we cannot force any club to sell anyone and so it may not happen at all this window, although with 2 weeks left, a loan or 2 certainly shouldn't be out of the question as a stop-gap measure.

Te big bonus is still being in Europe and facing a side who are most definitely beatable over 2 legs. Do that and we are looking at earning serious cash (at our level) that definitely wouldn't have been budgeted for and you would like to think that Glass will be given a fair chunk of it to improve the squad in January and next summer. After that I think we can really judge him....a trophy should be expected rather than hoped for next season

Good post 

agree with it but would add we need to look at keeper also although joe had a reasonable game yesterday overall with a couple of good stops 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Te big bonus is still being in Europe and facing a side who are most definitely beatable over 2 legs. Do that and we are looking at earning serious cash (at our level) that definitely wouldn't have been budgeted for and you would like to think that Glass will be given a fair chunk of it to improve the squad in January and next summer. 

Aye, agree with this. 

2 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

Player fatigue? 3 weeks into the season?

Blah up ???

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Any additional signings were always going to be towards the end of the window when the bigger clubs have themselves sorted out their squad.

If we were able to make the group stages, you’d have to think it might mean we could attract a higher quality loan signing.

41 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Any additional signings were always going to be towards the end of the window when the bigger clubs have themselves sorted out their squad.

If we were able to make the group stages, you’d have to think it might mean we could attract a higher quality loan signing.

Well getting humped by raith rovers wouldn’t attract a higher quality loan or any hopefull signing.   

33 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Well getting humped by raith rovers wouldn’t attract a higher quality loan or any hopefull signing.   

I doubt that , 

a: wasn’t a humping

b: all clubs have unexpected results 

we are no different anyone thinking of coming won’t be fazed by this 

3 hours ago, shooftahmooftah said:

3 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Absolutely, not having the chance to compete for the Scottish league cup is bound to put off higher quality loans from England.

If we were to get past Qarabag, the prestige of European group stage football will surpass playing a couple of Scottish teams in the League Cup

3 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

If we were to get past Qarabag, the prestige of European group stage football will surpass playing a couple of Scottish teams in the League Cup

As a club I understand why they'd want conference league over a league Cup win. 

But as a fan I'd take a league Cup win over playing conference league group games every year. 

I'm sure all St Johnstone fans would agree. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

But as a fan I'd take a league Cup win over playing conference league group games every year. 

I totally agree as a fan. I was making a point about getting in additional players / loan signings and why it will be nearer the end of the window.

This next week will also make a difference in who we can attract and what we have to spend

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

I totally agree as a fan. I was making a point about getting in additional players / loan signings and why it will be nearer the end of the window.

This next week will also make a difference in who we can attract and what we have to spend

Sorry thought you were suggesting that conference league qualification was more prestigious than winning a trophy 

10 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd agree and winning a trophy every season would have the same result in the end up (of making loads of money and managing to improve the team)

However in the short term the money from Europe can help us grow the club quickly, and give us a better chance in the short term.

Two wins in the ECL group stages is worth more than winning the league cup (and even then I am assuming 2 x full houses at Hampden)

1 hour ago, beef_sister said:

Agreed, But he'll still get dropped for that fucking cart horse considine.....

Not on Thursday he won’t. Would expect us to go 3-5-2 (with the ability to seamlessly shuffle to a 4-4-2 with no personnel changes, as we did last week after 25 mins)  Gallagher looks to have finally played his way into the team permanently 

14 hours ago, Crossbow said:

The chance of winning a medal or playing on a bigger stage whilst on loan has been known to attract loan signings though.

Fingers crossed for Thursday.

Which players have come to us on loan attracted by the league cup?

11 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Yeah I was being completely sarcastic. Nobody outside Scotland gives the slightest toss about the league cup. 

38 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Which players have come to us on loan attracted by the league cup?

Yeah I was being completely sarcastic. Nobody outside Scotland gives the slightest toss about the league cup. 

I'm sure that in general terms is true - when players have achoice of clubs to go on loan to - we aren't the only club looking for loan players you know - they will look at - what is convenient - what is interesting - even where can I further my career - and in that context coming to Aberdeen and featuring in semi finals and finals looks better than coming to Aberdeen and not featuring on one of the few things that will garner 5 seconds of coverage outside of Scotland. Players like to win things or hadn't you heard?

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

I'm sure that in general terms is true - when players have achoice of clubs to go on loan to - we aren't the only club looking for loan players you know - they will look at - what is convenient - what is interesting - even where can I further my career - and in that context coming to Aberdeen and featuring in semi finals and finals looks better than coming to Aberdeen and not featuring on one of the few things that will garner 5 seconds of coverage outside of Scotland. Players like to win things or hadn't you heard?

True, players do like to win things, but in terms of development (if that’s why they are coming on loan), playing European group stage football will be a huge attraction rather than a league cup where they are playing the same Scottish teams they will be up against in the league.

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

If you’re sure then surely you can name players who have chosen to join us so they can have the chance of winning the league cup? Given that we’ve won one cup in 26 years it doesn’t really seem that attractive, players like to win things or hadn’t you heard?

European football, I completely get as a draw for potential loanees and their parent clubs.

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

If you’re sure then surely you can name players who have chosen to join us so they can have the chance of winning the league cup? Given that we’ve won one cup in 26 years it doesn’t really seem that attractive, players like to win things or hadn’t you heard?

European football, I completely get as a draw for potential loanees and their parent clubs.

Not often I agree with much of what you post but in this instance you are absolutely spot on