January 2022 transfer window

6 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I'd rather we didn't sign anyone, than just signing players for the sake of it

So would I. 

My worry is why can't we sign anyone we want?

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Maybe Glass isn't bringing in the players but is defending his bosses who are responsible. 

After all Cormack didn't want a manager who wanted any control over recruitment. 

Probably because he wants to control everything would be my guess. 

Aye, could have saved himself a couple hundred grand by not implementing a DoF and new head of recruitment if that was the case.

4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

January is always a strange month for signings though. Don't you worry your young self 

I agree.

But we should have identified what was needed ages ago, and should be a lot further along with such deals etc. 

16 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

January is always a strange month for signings though. Don't you worry your young self 

The problem with the January window is that players contracts don't run out till the summer, and teams don't want to lose their best players mid season.  It's usually a window for getting in cover for injuries and letting players go out on loan who aren't getting games. 

6 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

The problem with the January window is that players contracts don't run out till the summer, and teams don't want to lose their best players mid season.  It's usually a window for getting in cover for injuries and letting players go out on loan who aren't getting games. 

Aye. 

And with ten days to go now it's unlikely there will be many permanent transfers coming in. Maybe one. Or a loan now to buy in the summer. 

Expecting some loan movement in both directions but nae much more than that. 

2 hours ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Going with what we have just now isn't really the problem. The majority of the 1st 11 as it is is fine. It's the backup to it though. What happens if Ramirez gets injured? What happens now if Ramsay picks up another injury? Who's going to create the chances if we lose him to another injury? Ramirez does so much running off the ball i find it difficult to believe he won't pick up some form of injury between now and the end of the season. JET isn't the answer. Watkins injured, McLennan pish, McGinn? Be aswell letting him go. That's my issue with it so far. 

Maybe Ramirez won’t get injured some players don’t pick up muscle injuries from running around a lot while others pick up a lot 

21 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I agree.

But we should have identified what was needed ages ago, and should be a lot further along with such deals etc. 

We probably did have players identified, but it's not always plain sailing getting players to the club. We're not Real Madrid, players aren't jumping at the chance to come to us and we've got a budget not much bigger than our rivals, outside of Rangers/Celtic, and a budget that is dwarfed by League 1 sides in England.  

Cormack or Glass, whoever it was, should never have come out with "we'll get business done early" or whatever the quote was. This isn't Football Manager, there's 101 things that can stall talks and prevent things happening. 

2 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

We probably did have players identified, but it's not always plain sailing getting players to the club. We're not Real Madrid, players aren't jumping at the chance to come to us and we've got a budget not much bigger than our rivals, outside of Rangers/Celtic, and a budget that is dwarfed by League 1 sides in England.  

Cormack or Glass, whoever it was, should never have come out with "we'll get business done early" or whatever the quote was. This isn't Football Manager, there's 101 things that can stall talks and prevent things happening. 

Ultimately, it's up to them to get them in. 

I understand how transfers work. 

Clear as day we need reinforcements for the starting XI as well. 

Aye at the moment we've brought in one young player identified through Bobby Clark's contacts. 

Seen a couple of loanees recalled to their parent clubs and Gurr has found himself a new job. 

Gunn and Mowbray have done fuck all so far of any substance in terms of getting anything over the line. Let's see what they can deliver over the next ten days. 

We had a shite (REALLY SHITE) summer window, so repairs were clearly always going to be required in this window. 

Quit making excuses for the club by using ‘but it’s January’ blah blah blah.

If you buy a shit second hand car that then keeps breaking down but you need it to get to work. You don’t fkn park it & hitch to work for next six months. You bite the bullet & spend the money & fkn fix the damn thing or risk losing your job.

40 minutes ago, thurso said:

Maybe Ramirez won’t get injured some players don’t pick up muscle injuries from running around a lot while others pick up a lot 

That's quite a gamble to take given our other "striker" has a penchant for spending much of a season on the physios table. 

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I agree.

55 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

What he said 

9 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

If you buy a shit second hand car that then keeps breaking down but you need it to get to work. You don’t fkn park it & hitch to work for next six months. You bite the bullet & spend the money & fkn fix the damn thing or risk losing your job.

I’d probably cycle to be honest. 

• Haha 1
Guest milne_afc
5 hours ago, DelMonte said:

The transfer windows fairly weeds out the window lickers on here. 

5 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

I'm genuinely pleased with the window thus far as we've offloaded Longstaff, Samuels and Gurr.

Hopefully Campbell gets a loan move to give him much needed first team action.

Potentially sell Ramsay for a club record of 6+ million plus add ons and have him loaned back to us for the remainder of the season.

Even if we only sign up 2-3 decent players on pre-contracts I'd mark it down as an improvement on the past 3 transfer windows.

I'm not denying we need improvements now. I just rather we didn't waste a wage on dross anymore and would prefer o see us wait till the summer.

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, thurso said:

It's a bit of a risk considering he's the only proper "no9" we have. How many teams do you know that run with 1 recognised striker? Only other one i can thunk of is maybe Man City. JET isn't a striker in a million years and if the management team brought him to be one then that's a sackable offence in itself. Watkins isn't an out and out striker either. So it's mot as if the striker situation has suddenly been sprung upon us. Neither is the lack of creativity. 

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye at the moment we've brought in one young player identified through Bobby Clark's contacts. 

Seen a couple of loanees recalled to their parent clubs and Gurr has found himself a new job. 

Gunn and Mowbray have done fuck all so far of any substance in terms of getting anything over the line. Let's see what they can deliver over the next ten days. 

It’s a sad state of affairs if we have to rely on Steven Gunn regarding transfers. The guy is nothing more than a butler.

• Upvote 1