Jump to content

Football and silences


Guest

Recommended Posts

The tim fans caused some furore today for not respecting the minutes silence, not something I'm overly fussed about. 
 

IMO football has this bizarre obsession with silences, knowing it's not everyone's cup of tea. The disdain from Ian Crocker today about the tennis balls as well was laughable. Fair fucks to the Celtic fans, they have things they want to say and they say them. 
 

Why is interrupting a token silence viewed as the worst thing ever? 
 

Fed up of it, to be honest. Even worse when you get huns on Twitter all over it calling them filth, but the same folk will sing anti catholic crap week in week out. 
 

Load of nonsense. 

Link to comment

Guest milne_afc

I hate all that gesture rubbish, silence/applause for the fallen/ex player/ superfan/local cancer star.

Poppy Day should be consigned to history anyway - politicised rubbish. We’ll soon have a proper war on our hands when the big WW3 gets underway.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

I hate all that gesture rubbish, silence/applause for the fallen/ex player/ superfan/local cancer star.

Poppy Day should be consigned to history anyway - politicised rubbish. We’ll soon have a proper war on our hands when the big WW3 gets underway.

Thank god you've replied. Thought this was going down like a led balloon. 
 

Agree with everything but the last thing regarding WW3. Wars will no longer be fought on the ground. 

Link to comment

But aye, the point in the poppy is to remember the victims/atrocity of war. 
 

It's turned into a glorification of it. Nothing romantic about 18 year olds getting their fucking brains splattered across Europe. 

Link to comment

 

we should be able to keep Schtum to simply commemorate honest joes fighting rich peoples wars, even in the rarified atmosphere of 5 to 3 on a Saturday.  If you don’t like it stay in the pub for five minutes extra on one day of the year.

But They have allowed the poppy to become politicised and then complain when people argue about the politics of it.

As for personal commemoration, Club stalwarts only.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

It has not. 

I think it has for some people. They glorify the victory of the war for the sake of their own nationalism. Conveniently forgetting the atrocities British soldiers have caused down the years. 
 

 

Link to comment

I hate all these enforced memorials... if you want to be quiet, take a minute and be quiet. If you want to sing drinking songs then do that instead. 

And Poppy Day can fuck ALL the way off. 

Wear one if you want. Don't wear one if you don't want... but leave cunts who don't want the fuck alone. 

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I think it has for some people. They glorify the victory of the war for the sake of their own nationalism. Conveniently forgetting the atrocities British soldiers have caused down the years. 
 

 

What a pathetic attention seeking creature you are....Were you constantly abused as a child by Daddy,Mummy and Siblings....

Bet you were Luvvie.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Poppy Day should be consigned to history anyway - politicised rubbish. We’ll soon have a proper war on our hands when the big WW3 gets underway.

On the actual day is one thing but having a whole 'season' dedicated to it is too far.

Link to comment

A minutes silence should be retained for a club legend who passes away. Remembrance Day/Sunday used to be a mark of respect, now it's turned in to a whole event about who can out perform each other, especially in England/the huns. They absolutely love it, extremely strange behaviour.

The minutes applause on the X minute for a fan who died should go in the bin too. Nice sentiment but where do you draw the line. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, brownie said:

It used to be a Sunday. It used to be a sombre occasion. Now it's a Christmas type festival for weird people who romanticise about the two world wars. For these people it's not who had the biggest tree, it's who can have the most realistic recreation of the D Day landings in their garden.

Yeah I remember growing up in a small toun. It was very somber and respectful  the veterans marched slowly ( death march) through the toon to the War memorial. Nay celebration of war. The exact opposite.

Link to comment
8 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I think it has for some people. They glorify the victory of the war for the sake of their own nationalism. Conveniently forgetting the atrocities British soldiers have caused down the years. 
 

 

If you mean a small minority then I suppose that is possible.(I haven’t came across this though)

Your comment suggested that the general feeling now was one of ‘glorification’ of war. That is clearly wrong.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Torry Tosser said:

What a pathetic attention seeking creature you are....Were you constantly abused as a child by Daddy,Mummy and Siblings....

Bet you were Luvvie.

Shut up you thick cunt

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

If you mean a small minority then I suppose that is possible.(I haven’t came across this though)

Your comment suggested that the general feeling now was one of ‘glorification’ of war. That is clearly wrong.

I didn't suggest it was the 'general' feeling. I should've been more specific with what I meant, though.

Link to comment

These post are a fucking embarrassment to this forum.

I thought there were a few idiots on here and now you have just confirmed it.

I have no issues with clapping at games for fans etc that have passed away, it’s called showing respect, obviously a concept alien to you.

When it comes to the meaning of the Poppy and the reason for Remembrance you really do have no fucking idea, the initial reason for it and why it continues.

You should just stop now before you embarrass yourselves even further.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
9 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Thought this was going down like a led balloon. 

Agree with everything but the last thing regarding WW3. Wars will no longer be fought on the ground. 

Who was leading the balloon and to where? ?

 

8 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

 Conveniently forgetting the atrocities British soldiers have caused down the years. 

This is the bit that enrages me.

Hypocritical fuckwits.

 

7 hours ago, Ke1t said:

I hate all these enforced memorials... if you want to be quiet, take a minute and be quiet. If you want to sing drinking songs then do that instead. 

And Poppy Day can fuck ALL the way off. 

Wear one if you want. Don't wear one if you don't want... but leave cunts who don't want the fuck alone. 

All correct, 100%.

 

1 hour ago, Dynamo said:

A minutes silence should be retained for a club legend who passes away. Remembrance Day/Sunday used to be a mark of respect, now it's turned in to a whole event about who can out perform each other, especially in England/the huns. They absolutely love it, extremely strange behaviour.

The minutes applause on the X minute for a fan who died should go in the bin too. Nice sentiment but where do you draw the line. 

Spot on.

All counts.

Poppy fascism does my fucking head in.

Typically pompous guff* schizophrenia.

From one who used to wear a poppy as well, until it was hijacked by the far right beauts and developed into the cringe inducing freak show that it now does year in year out.

 

*as well as bootlicking Scottish britnats and hun simpletons.

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

When it comes to the meaning of the Poppy and the reason for Remembrance you really do have no fucking idea, the initial reason for it and why it continues.

Nobody has direct memory of the initial reason, as nobody is now alive from 1918. It's a gesture passed on through generations, losing something with each passing year.

If 3 smiling twats on the gammon channel can wear one while legitimately debating starting a war on France due to fishing, you know the poppy has lost all initial meaning and it's now just a brit-nat loyalty badge. 

spacer.png

 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

These post are a fucking embarrassment to this forum.

I thought there were a few idiots on here and now you have just confirmed it.

I have no issues with clapping at games for fans etc that have passed away, it’s called showing respect, obviously a concept alien to you.

When it comes to the meaning of the Poppy and the reason for Remembrance you really do have no fucking idea, the initial reason for it and why it continues.

You should just stop now before you embarrass yourselves even further.

Seems like you're embarrassing yourself tbh. There has forever been opposition to the poppy. It has forever been a political symbol and from its outset it has been used to shush criticism of War & British Army activities. 

In recent years it's become very much a symbol of British nationalism for many. Used by all the wrong people for all the wrong reasons. 

It's possible to show respect without wearing a symbol that represents many things people may disagree with. Wearing a wee plastic flower and standing quietly for a minute at the football achieves and means fuck all. 

Quite why anyone would think 1 minute before kick off at the football is the ideal time to remember people (not just soldiers) who've died in war is beyond me. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment

Yes, but in absolute fairness there were '00,000s of loons wanted to go the fitba on 12/11/18 with their dad and couldn't.  That does slightly set the armistice silence apart from Bob Geldof or a Kardashian.

Like others Ive zero time for the imperialist brigade but if I'm telt to shut the fuck up for 1 minute on the Saturday before the 11th i.e. one day a year Im pretty sure I can cope with that whether I agree with it or not.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

 

It's possible to show respect without wearing a symbol that represents many things people may disagree with. Wearing a wee plastic flower and standing quietly for a minute at the football achieves and means fuck all. 

Quite why anyone would think 1 minute before kick off at the football is the ideal time to remember people (not just soldiers) who've died in war is beyond me. 

It's also possible to show respect by wearing a poppy with no hidden political symbolism intended. Each to their own.

I agree that fitba matches are not the best idea for any minute silences - it's becoming outrage bait for the bams and for parts of the media.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

It's also possible to show respect by wearing a poppy with no hidden political symbolism intended. Each to their own.

I agree that fitba matches are not the best idea for any minute silences - it's becoming outrage bait for the bams and for parts of the media.

I agree, but no one is saying "people shouldn't wear poppies" just saying why they don't want to. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...