Holiday's 2022

For Fecks Sake

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think Airbnb's are illegal in NYC. 

I thought that too but they're not. There's a loophole but it means the owner of the place has to stay in same apartment and rent out rooms or something like that.

Fuck that. Better off in a hotel. Plenty of them

We got a place in Amsterdam for a stagger a couple years back and the owner stayed in the place below. Was a fucking nightmare. 

4 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Didn't realise re AIR B N Bs lads. 

Appreciated, will scout out hotels. @The Boofon that one you sent looks decent, but a bit pricey for my middle class ass. 

Generally surprised at how cheap hotels are. 

Wee hotel related tip from an industry chap(RF or DF could probably confirm) If you see a place you like on booking.com or the likes phone them direct and say I've seen you on booking.com but wondered if it was cheaper booking direct? They'll generally give you exactly the same booking cheaper cutting out the middle man's cut.

A lot of hassle for the US though I'll grant you. We stayed at a nice place in London and got it much cheaper and they made it full board instead of b and b all for the sake of a 5 minute phone call.

3 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Wee hotel related tip from an industry chap(RF or DF could probably confirm) If you see a place you like on booking.com or the likes phone them direct and say I've seen you on booking.com but wondered if it was cheaper booking direct? They'll generally give you exactly the same booking cheaper cutting out the middle man's cut.

A lot of hassle for the US though I'll grant you. We stayed at a nice place in London and got it much cheaper and they made it full board instead of b and b all for the sake of a 5 minute phone call.

This definitely works.

Consi what sort of price you looking at per night for two people?

Wouldn't say 250 a night is overly expensive TBF.

2 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

This definitely works.

Consi what sort of price you looking at per night for two people?

Wouldn't say 250 a night is overly expensive TBF.

Looking for 5 nights capped at a grand, probs. 

Sound like my dad @NEM. Presumably also of the persuasion that there's no need to eat fancy you're nae there for the food, and no need to pay for entry when pish places let you in for free.

I say go mad with the hotel budget, you're on holiday ffs. Will be spending 8+ hours a day there and if you've cheaped out half of that will be stuck awake. Also, expensive hotels compensate you for a bad experience, shite ones don't. 

1 hour ago, manboobs109 said:

Aye booking.com take 15% so you should get a better deal or free breakfast etc.

There can be times when booking.com offer better prices due to guaranteeing bookings to the property then having cancelations but more likely to get this last minute. 

The cancelation terms might also be better with booking.com shop around ken 

3 minutes ago, Sonic said:

Sound like my da. Presumably also of the persuasion that there's no need to eat fancy you're nae there for the food, and no need to pay for entry when pish places let you in for free.

I say go mad with the hotel budget, you're on holiday ffs. Will be spending 8+ hours a day there and if you've cheaped out half of that will be stuck awake. Also, expensive hotels compensate you for a bad experience, shite ones don't. 

Exactly you don’t choose to bide in Tillydrone when you can afford to bide in BOD.

23 minutes ago, Sonic said:

Sound like my dad @NEM. Presumably also of the persuasion that there's no need to eat fancy you're nae there for the food, and no need to pay for entry when pish places let you in for free.

Ha ha fair enough each to their own but I view it as somewhere to dump the bag, get a shower and get my head down.  Different story if it's a beach holiday etc.

23 minutes ago, Sonic said:

Cant agree with New York. We were out from 8am until night most days - pop back in between to dump shopping, or grab a shower but that was it. Mates of ours went not long after us and paid to upgrade their hotel room to a suite - we tried talking them out of it but they went ahead. When they came back that was their only regret, as they werent in the room long enough to take advantage. Should have listened to the deffs min. 

2 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Cant agree with New York. We were out from 8am until night most days - pop back in between to dump shopping, or grab a shower but that was it. Mates of ours went not long after us and paid to upgrade their hotel room to a suite - we tried talking them out of it but they went ahead. When they came back that was their only regret, as they werent in the room long enough to take advantage. Should have listened to the deffs min. 

We've been twice and were exactly the same. 

I'm nae saying to bide in a shitehole but as long as it's clean and decent enough location it does the job.

52 minutes ago, Sonic said:

Sort of.

You'll get a much better room in a 4 star hotel for the same price as the shoe box one in a 5 star. (obvious statement alert)

I'd choose room quality over hotel star rating every time.

1 hour ago, NEM said:

Not much point splashing out on a fancy hotel in New York, chances are you’ll barely be in it

54 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Correct. I like my comforts nowadays but you’ll hardly spend anytime in your room. 

We booked last minute a few New Years ago and stayed here https://www.dylanhotelnyc.com Nothing fancy but good location and decent enough room for the night. Right next to grand central station so was good for the subway  and 5 mins walk from Times Square. Probably be around £150 a night. 

Would recommend here if you like rum old fashioned. Nice little dimly lit bar off Times Square  https://www.therumhousenyc.com