Motherwell 1 - 1 Aberdeen

6 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

What? Agree with WW… if you don’t have the technique to pass the ball, how can you play at 8?

McRorie put in a shift yesterday - worked like an absolute fucking dog, winning first and second balls and mopping up mistakes. But he gave the ball away every time he won it back. His passing was absolutely atrocious. 

If McCrorie can work on his distribution, he could still be an option in there… can’t fault his application and commitment. A lot to like about the defensive work he did.

McCrorie is basically the new Mark Kerr.  Shouldn’t be expected to do anything other than the ugly stuff. 

And we shouldn’t be fooled into thinking he’s capable of more creative play consistently.  On the odd occasion that he does something creative well (like the great first-time cross he put in for the goal at Motherwell in the cup-tie last week) it should be regarded as a bonus.

5 minutes ago, redone said:

McCrorie is basically the new Mark Kerr.  Shouldn’t be expected to do anything other than the ugly stuff. 

And we shouldn’t be fooled into thinking he’s capable of more creative play consistently.  On the odd occasion that he does something creative well (like the great first-time cross he put in for the goal at Motherwell in the cup-tie last week) it should be regarded as a bonus.

Is being compared to mark kerr meant to be a compliment? 

19 minutes ago, redone said:

He needs to keep it simple, win the ball and give it to McGeouch to orchestrate play. That’s if McGeouch ever gets a look in again. 

2 hours ago, beef_sister said:

Nearly cost us a goal in the first half because he chose to take a touch instead of play it first time. Van veen closed him down and it went around a foot past the post after ot rebounded off him. 

Is that a big enough error or does that not count?

He fumbled that shot in the first half back out in front of him which Hayes had to nip in and clear for a corner as well.

Could have been another goal if Hayes hadn’t been switched on.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

What errors did Lewis make yesterday? Where was he at fault? 

His kicking was fucking amateurish. Embarrassingly bad.......his first one was sliced out of play about 35 yards out under no pressure. Next one went straight to a Motherwell player and 5 seconds later he has to make a simple save which he fumbles right into the thick of the action rather than either holding or pushing out wide. Then the one already mentioned where he takes a combination of too long and a bad first touch resulting in Van Veen closing him down with the ricochet only going about a yard wide and bizarrely tried to pin the blame on Bates. Soon after that he hooks one left right out the ground (admittedly this time under pressure). And in a non-kicking fuck up, he dealt with an inswinging corner exactly as Woods did last Saturday, making a sclaffed punch that thankfully dropped between players and bounced out to the edge of the box.

He was certainly a lot steadier second half, but we have known about this weakness for a few years, coupled with ever increasing total fuck ups. I really hope Minijc was correct about the pre-contract for Clark (he didn't mention names but the gist of the convo suggested Clark was who he was alluding to). But if we haven't I'm not convinced that Goodwin bringing Jak Alnwick from St Mirren as some reckon we might is that much of an upgrade. 

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

His kicking was fucking amateurish. Embarrassingly bad.......his first one was sliced out of play about 35 yards out under no pressure. Next one went straight to a Motherwell player and 5 seconds later he has to make a simple save which he fumbles right into the thick of the action rather than either holding or pushing out wide. Then the one already mentioned where he takes a combination of too long and a bad first touch resulting in Van Veen closing him down with the ricochet only going about a yard wide and bizarrely tried to pin the blame on Bates. Soon after that he hooks one left right out the ground (admittedly this time under pressure). And in a non-kicking fuck up, he dealt with an inswinging corner exactly as Woods did last Saturday, making a sclaffed punch that thankfully dropped between players and bounced out to the edge of the box.

He was certainly a lot steadier second half, but we have known about this weakness for a few years, coupled with ever increasing total fuck ups. I really hope Minijc was correct about the pre-contract for Clark (he didn't mention names but the gist of the convo suggested Clark was who he was alluding to). But if we haven't I'm not convinced that Goodwin bringing Jak Alnwick from St Mirren as some reckon we might is that much of an upgrade. 

It’s good to have someone like Goodwins fresh perspective on a situation like that though surely. 

on a number of levels.

26 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

He needs to keep it simple, win the ball and give it to McGeouch to orchestrate play. That’s if McGeouch ever gets a look in again. 

As much as I like him as a player, his career has been blighted with constant injuries.

He’s also immobile, not something that’s great for a midfielder.

It’s time to accept he should be released in the summer & replaced. 

Having watched both our games at Fir Park I think we'd have lost yesterday if Woods was playing - Lewis made some scary errors and did not play well but Woods the week before was horrifyingly bad. I'd agree however an upgrade in that front is needed to compete well at the top of the league. Joe would be a good back-up.

54 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

McGeouch has now been here for over 2 years. 

I'm struggling to remember more than 3 good matches.  Bonny passer but no legs. 

He's ooc in the summer and will be turning 30.

Not really an argument to keep him longer, especially with his injury record. 

Get a shithouse of a centre back to play with Bates next season - the kind we hoped Gallagher would be. Gets the better big beauts like Van Veen....who is absolutely pish but seems to live playing us.

One that's also sly however, not to give away daft pens and red cards like Porteous or similar.

Probably hard within our budget like.

41 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

As much as I like him as a player, his career has been blighted with constant injuries.

I agree.

I don't think McGeouch is remotely the type of player Goodwin likes in his midfield. 

54 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Fair play. The main point being that McCrorie needs to keep it simple. Be the ball winner and give it to a playmaker. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Each to their own but Clark for me is not an upgrade on Lewis. I do note your previous irrational dislike for Lewis.

Back to yesterday's game, battling draw is about all we could realistically be happy with, glad we got a point, certainly didn't do enough to win the game. Team is severely lacking in confidence which I'm hopeful Goodwin can install that back into them. He seems very confident that he can sort out the defence quickly. Talks brilliantly which has reinforced to me that he's the best man for the job although accept its a results based business. 

Hopeful, almost confident of a win against Utd.

2 hours ago, beef_sister said:

He's got a bit more about him than Mark Kerr ever had ?

Debateable.  Probably a bit more versatile in that he’s a better option in defence than Kerr was. But very similar as midfielders. 

Both reasonable at making things awkward for opponents ....if anything Kerr was better at ball-winning than McCrorie is. But with both of them the chances of them finding a teammate with a pass is about 50/50.

47 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Each to their own but Clark for me is not an upgrade on Lewis. I do note your previous irrational dislike for Lewis.

Back to yesterday's game, battling draw is about all we could realistically be happy with, glad we got a point, certainly didn't do enough to win the game. Team is severely lacking in confidence which I'm hopeful Goodwin can install that back into them. He seems very confident that he can sort out the defence quickly. Talks brilliantly which has reinforced to me that he's the best man for the job although accept its a results based business. 

Hopeful, almost confident of a win against Utd.

I happily admit I think he is nothing more than a bog standard 'keeper, prone to complete howlers and probably was the first on here to suggest he needed replacing. That we haven't is because of the excessively long and expensive contract that McInnes foolishly awarded him. As I keep coming back to.....this guy was understudy for six years to David fucking Marshall at Cardiff. 

Anyway beyond that, there's no doubt Goodwin is a competent replacement for Glass. What he can squeeze out of the current squad until the summer I'm not sure and I'm just thankful that we are now probably 2 wins away from ensuring we don't finish bottom and 3 wins away from ensuring we dont end up in a play-off (barring a bizarre change in form/fortunes for Dundee and St Johnstone). United at home is probably as good a chance as any to get one of those wins on the board and I share your optimism for it.

Guest milne_afc
16 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Fail to win next week against Dundee United then forget about 4th spot or top 6 finish.   United win they are 6 points ahead of us. 

Thanks Bamber