The Goodwin effect!

Jim Goodwin has overhauled just about everything.Subtle swapping of the dugouts position and layout,great attention to detail there and I can see at the Raith Rovers game his thinking . Players warming up at the Red Shed end,too late arriving to see that, and so the Merkland end now more the 'home' end rather than the Richard Donald Beach end.Jonny Hayes is about the only player someone who hasn't been to Pittodrie for a while would recognise.It has been a transformation.Worry about putting some of these new players straight in at Celtic.Parkhead will be a difficult assignment on Sunday.

2 hours ago, graham said:

Jim Goodwin has overhauled just about everything.Subtle swapping of the dugouts position and layout,great attention to detail there and I can see at the Raith Rovers game his thinking . Players warming up at the Red Shed end,too late arriving to see that, and so the Merkland end now more the 'home' end rather than the Richard Donald Beach end.Jonny Hayes is about the only player someone who hasn't been to Pittodrie for a while would recognise.It has been a transformation.Worry about putting some of these new players straight in at Celtic.Parkhead will be a difficult assignment on Sunday.

The swapping ends for warm up thing is not new - we warmed up at the beach end before that. It was swapped so that the away fans dont warm up in front of their support - trying to think who swapped it around last time might have been Calderwood or maybe Craig Brown. There is a difference in that last time it was to hinder the away where as this time its to benefit the home but its not that massive change some like to say. Its as big  a change as the change to the warm up routine. ITs not that big a deal and will change again before we leave pittodrie  

56 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

Cheers. Let's use this to put another myth to bed 

"I’m not saying Aberdeen will never sign a player from one of the Scottish Premiership teams ever again because somebody might really be the perfect candidate for what we need, but we have really broadened the net.”

25 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

"I don’t want six or seven loan players in our team. I want 99 per cent of players here to be ours".

He's made a cunt of the percentage there unless we have a squad of circa 200. 

Ach, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. 93% is not a bad percentage (2 loanees out of a possible first team squad of 30(ish), including the U18s). 

32 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

"I don’t want six or seven loan players in our team. I want 99 per cent of players here to be ours".

He's made a cunt of the percentage there unless we have a squad of circa 200. 

I think we need to cut him some slack on that one, he did say he'd left school at 15 and was thick as shit.

4 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

Taking out the classical music sentence, the rest of that gives him a wad of leeway in my book. Sounds like the kind of guy who won't go around blaming others if he fucks it up. Never warmed to him before personality-wise but that interview says I got him wrong. 

• Haha 1

https://news.stv.tv/sport/jim-goodwin-sets-european-qualification-target-for-aberdeen-this-season

Aberdeen is the third biggest supported club in the country and should be competing for the top three or four spaces every single season and that is what we want to get back to doing this year.”

Goodwin, whose side began the season with four wins and four clean sheets in the Premier Sports Cup, added: “I think for a club of this size we should always be looking to compete in the domestic cup competitions as well.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, Jigsaw666 said:

Taking out the classical music sentence, the rest of that gives him a wad of leeway in my book. Sounds like the kind of guy who won't go around blaming others if he fucks it up. Never warmed to him before personality-wise but that interview says I got him wrong. 

I mean,it's not like OBL's family blew up the twin towers, is it?

Maybe he can spend it on keeping his brother out of chomo jail.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:01 PM, Woolenrouge said:

I think we need to cut him some slack on that one, he did say he'd left school at 15 and was thick as shit.

Don’t remember him saying he was thick as shit he is far from being that . He was doing ok for himself job wise when he was part time Alloa manager although did  see him eating in Greggs most days. Maybe just overly appreciative of a steak bake.

I was walking past the window on my way to Pret A Manger

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, I had high hopes for JG but I thought his substitution of Morris for Kennedy after 30 minutes was a major error given that we were being overrun in midfield and were all over the place at the back. Putting McKenzie on at LB, Scales to centre back and McRorie into midfield would have made us a lot more solid in a 4-3-3. Hope he also now realises that Kennedy is a passenger against any physical/half decent opposition. The Kennedy injury gave JG the opportunity to change tactics when change was definitely needed. That he didn’t do so is worrying.

47 minutes ago, old sheep said:

Firstly, I had high hopes for JG but I thought his substitution of Morris for Kennedy after 30 minutes was a major error given that we were being overrun in midfield and were all over the place at the back. Putting McKenzie on at LB, Scales to centre back and McRorie into midfield would have made us a lot more solid in a 4-3-3. Hope he also now realises that Kennedy is a passenger against any physical/half decent opposition. The Kennedy injury gave JG the opportunity to change tactics when change was definitely needed. That he didn’t do so is worrying.

I see where you’re coming from, but we were a goal down so he maybe felt bringing on a defender for a winger wasn’t the way to go.

FWIW, with hindsight we should’ve started 4-3-3 with McCrorie alongside Ramadani & Clarkson. 

53 minutes ago, old sheep said:

Majority of the team are passengers v any kind of physical opposition. Team full of shrinking violets & lightweights.

'Albanian hard cunt' ? who came up with that one? massive mistaken assumption on that one especially 

Putting on Mackenzie for Kennedy would have been unpopular with some, but there was still 60+ minutes to play and we badly needed to change the flow of the game. We have now conceded 6 goals in 3 league games, so I’d be amazed if JG doesn’t go to a 4-3-3 next week. We simply aren’t strong enough defensively to play with 4 out and out forwards.

53 minutes ago, old sheep said:

Putting on Mackenzie for Kennedy would have been unpopular with some, but there was still 60+ minutes to play and we badly needed to change the flow of the game. We have now conceded 6 goals in 3 league games, so I’d be amazed if JG doesn’t go to a 4-3-3 next week. We simply aren’t strong enough defensively to play with 4 out and out forwards.

I guess this is what happens when you have so many attacking players. Actually thought Goodwin got it wrong tactically against Celtic and Motherwell, id hope hes learning from his mistakes though. 

7 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Needs to bring in another CH ffs. 
He seems to think all we’re missing is an attacking mid.

Defence is still a shambles & that’s with minimal injures there other than 2 unproven LB’s 

This is despite him ever so nonchalantly stating that previous regime's defence would be easy to fix....!!!! Mind that one everybody? Three minutes into new season look at the goal we concede...!! leading us to yesterday's shambles....is this guy just another chancer?? Looking more and more like it every week, sadly. Every ex player and his dog wants to move into management, of course they do, look at the rewards compared with a "regular" job. It's up to the guys upstairs that hire to make sure no stone is left unturned ensuring they get it right as best they can. However, too many get their head turned by media's latest golden boy. And here we are with JG. 

• Like 1