The Goodwin effect!

26 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Paisley ain’t going to be pretty.

St Mirren will be kicking their lips. 
All rested up whilst we’ve had two back to back games against the scum in 3 and a half days. 

Home win.

The first Goodwin get to fuck heard in the support 

There was a game at paisley round about this time of year last season. Horrible game heading for a 0-0 draw until they sneaked a goal in the second half. Memorable for a Jet substitute appearance in which he had about 3 touches, all of them passes to the opposition. Beginning of the end for Glass.

Might be history repeating but can’t see it myself. Think we’ll stagger on, occasionally flattering to deceive, ultimately winning fuck all, finishing mid table ready to do it all again next season. 

Fuck my life that’s depressing 

When Goodwin left St Mirren to join us, my St Mirren supporting mate wasn’t that bothered. 

The main reason for that was that he reckoned Goodwin was too cautious & it had cost St Mirren loads of times. 

He cited a few examples, one of which was the time a couple of seasons ago when St Mirren were trying to get top 6 for the first time. 
They just needed to beat Hamilton to make it. 
They were 1-0 up & totally dominating… until he made negative subs & tried to sit in..  against fucking Hamilton…& lost a goal in injury time.

He also bottled two cup semis in one season, against Livi & St Johnstone.

I don’t think he’s a manager that has the mentality to manage a bigger club, or to instill belief in to players.

We’ll limp on with him, but I think there’s almost an inevitability he won’t succeed here. 
Tactically poor & a negative mentality. 

• Dildo 1
11 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

And who buys out Cormack?

^ anyone know of any multimillionaires looking to buy a football team, gets dogs abuse daily from sections of the support and who is willing to lose a chunk of their wealth at the same time?

Get the feeling that like Milne, Cormack would happily sell if someone expressed an interest.

2 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

There was a game at paisley round about this time of year last season. Horrible game heading for a 0-0 draw until they sneaked a goal in the second half. Memorable for a Jet substitute appearance in which he had about 3 touches, all of them passes to the opposition. Beginning of the end for Glass.

Might be history repeating but can’t see it myself. Think we’ll stagger on, occasionally flattering to deceive, ultimately winning fuck all, finishing mid table ready to do it all again next season. 

Fuck my life that’s depressing 

Agree. 
I’m pretty convinced we won’t be 3rd.

IF we can sign well in January, then we could get 4th, but I say that with very little confidence.

That would be enough to see him in to next season 

49 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

How long do we go on sacking managers for before we start holding the people at the top accountable? Putting aside whether Goodwin was a good appointment or not for one moment, we need to acknowledge the problems go way deeper than him and indeed way further back than his appointment.

For me, the rot started when McInnes was needlessly and undeservingly given his last contract extension, in a move akin to the 3 year extension Calderwood got in 2008. Both managers had clearly taken us as far as their competent-but-very-limited abilities could, yet were rewarded with lucrative paydays, the likes of which they never saw again after leaving AFC.

The similarities between the latter's final season and McInnes's end were striking (no pun intended) yet our stock as a club when Derek finally left was decent, to the point where we could easily have sourced a competent replacement, especially if the rumours about his salary are even HALF-true. Instead, Cormack spurned a golden opportunity on a vanity project, that not only failed utterly, but set us back years and saddled us with a squad that needed to be gutted Eddie Turnbull style.

Look, I'm not impressed with Goodwin's results so far, but with the mess he inherited, I'm inclined to give him one more transfer window to identify and secure targets in key areas. If it fails, then so be it, but if he goes then Cormack should also consider his position, as he has failed in crucial areas of recruitment AND we are no closer to resolving the stadium fiasco (it's now 25 years - yes, TWENTY FIVE YEARS - since talk of moving was made public).

He approved the signing of Shayden Morris, and worse still, continues to play him. 

3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

When Goodwin left St Mirren to join us, my St Mirren supporting mate wasn’t that bothered. 

The main reason for that was that he reckoned Goodwin was too cautious & it had cost St Mirren loads of times. 

He cited a few examples, one of which was the time a couple of seasons ago when St Mirren were trying to get top 6 for the first time. 
They just needed to beat Hamilton to make it. 
They were 1-0 up & totally dominating… until he made negative subs & tried to sit in..  against fucking Hamilton…& lost a goal in injury time.

He also bottled two cup semis in one season, against Livi & St Johnstone.

I don’t think he’s a manager that has the mentality to manage a bigger club, or to instill belief in to players.

We’ll limp on with him, but I think there’s almost an inevitability he won’t succeed here. 
Tactically poor & a negative mentality. 

Not surprised he wasn’t bothered about him moving, he’d done nothing special at all at St Mirren which makes it all the more bizarre he was our first choice.

32 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

He’s made the exact same mistakes as the previous manager but had a huge amount of money to spend doing so. 

We’ve only got one RB and he’s shite, two CBs of which one drops a clanger in nearly every game and the other is on loan from the tims. It’s like Glass all over again but at least he had Ramsay

I wouldn’t give him the next two games let alone a transfer window. 

Two CBs, one of who can't play against the toughest opponent (by a mile) he'll face all season.  Then mid-season switch to a 3CB system after saying pre-season he'd be playing a 4-2-3-1 or close variant.  So even if said CBs were peak Miller and McLeish, which of course they're not, you'd still have a problem of sorts.

In the meantime he's stockpiled a load of wide players before said system switch leaves us playing in a way which struggles to accommodate that type of player.

Got a squad with about 8 players who can play in the wide forward positions, but only 2 recognised CBs?   Got to play a 3 CB system with wing backs and no wide men.  Obviously, Jim.

Pointless blaming the players when they had the rug pulled out from underneath them. We were flying until the manager changed the system because he was scared of the The Rangers changes. Admittedly,  he had to do something after they made 4 changes, but he shat the bed. If I'd been a player in that dressing room after that, I think I'd be getting a fine at least,  if not sent to the reserves for a few weeks as I would not be holding back. I hope they told him exactly what they think.

Blame Roos and whoever else you like, they would not have been put in that position if not for the man in charge.

McInness I got fed up of, Goodwin  I now can't stand.

• Dildo 1

Game management has it’s time and place, but it can’t be for a third of the game unless you have a seriously organised team with a strong defence.  I don’t think Goodwin can turn it around unless we come 3rd or lift silverware now, trust in his judgment can’t be won back easily. 

Goodwin also makes out that he has assembled the squad but in reality he’s a head coach, Mioviski ,Duk & Ramadani were scouted before he was even in the building. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

That’s 2 Games in a row  where his game management can only be called negligent or naive. He’s a young ish coach but needs to learn from his mistakes. As in a AA meeting the first step is admitting your faults 

Not forgetting at least 4 previous examples of tactical naivety... 

Namely,

Dundee Utd at Tannadice

Hibs at Easter Road

Motherwell at Pittodrie

The Znuh at Ibrox.

Plenty of other examples. Let the team he has go out and attack. Until the defensive issues are resolved we're always going to leak goals, so go and score more than your opposition... By the time the 3rd or 4th has gone in they'll have sat back and deeply like we do for the last 1 1/3  games...

In the space of 4 days, I’ve moved from pretty much sitting on the fence regarding Goodwin to desperately not wanting him anywhere near our team. Others have already pointed out his tactical naivety and his baffling use of substitutes, all of which I totally. 
His continued use of Morris is also baffling. The guy has pace, but that’s it. Absolutely no football brain whatsoever. Ryan Duncan must be sitting on the bench and thinking “fuck me. I’m behind this useless fecking eejit in the pecking order for game time. New contract? Jim, you can shove your new contract up your arse” - which effectively goes against Cormack’s mantra of sustaining the club by developing good, young players and selling them on. The only development Duncan is getting is developing splinters in his arse from constantly sitting on the bench. What’s the point of having high hopes for the likes of Badidge, Pirie and a few more, if Goodwin is never going to play them and would prefer to play the likes of Morris. I despair. Badly!

• Upvote 2