The Goodwin effect!

Whilst I’m not expecting a parting of the ways anytime soon, I wonder if somebody will be having a word in Goodwin’s ear about his general performance? 
Imagine his line manager Steven Gunn doing so? Me neither. But that does illustrate that this shitshow is not all down to Goodwin. The player recruitment, which is down to Gunn and his Head of Recruitment, has been patchy at best.

So, that’s 2 positions that need examining, maybe more if Mowbray and Co are included 

17 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Two CBs, one of who can't play against the toughest opponent (by a mile) he'll face all season.  Then mid-season switch to a 3CB system after saying pre-season he'd be playing a 4-2-3-1 or close variant.  So even if said CBs were peak Miller and McLeish, which of course they're not, you'd still have a problem of sorts.

In the meantime he's stockpiled a load of wide players before said system switch leaves us playing in a way which struggles to accommodate that type of player.

Got a squad with about 8 players who can play in the wide forward positions, but only 2 recognised CBs?   Got to play a 3 CB system with wing backs and no wide men.  Obviously, Jim.

And a striker (miovski) to whom a decent cross is but a distant memory.

Just now, Roberto said:

How many do you deem realistic? Have you seen the shite he's signed? Duk and Miovski aside.

Ramadani was superb last night. Scales is pretty decent. Coulsons a good player. Hit and miss, same as every manager. Writing off the likes of Morris is early for me too. I actually thought Richardson done okay until the goals too, which is no use obviously.

• Dildo 2
39 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Whilst I’m not expecting a parting of the ways anytime soon, I wonder if somebody will be having a word in Goodwin’s ear about his general performance? 
Imagine his line manager Steven Gunn doing so? Me neither. But that does illustrate that this shitshow is not all down to Goodwin. The player recruitment, which is down to Gunn and his Head of Recruitment, has been patchy at best.

So, that’s 2 positions that need examining, maybe more if Mowbray and Co are included 

Id actually argue that its maybe the decent recruitment thats kept us in a decent position. Now they aren't all good signings but more a hit than a miss. If Goodwin came in instead of Glass and had to work with the squad the recruitment assembled last season I have no doubt he would of done just as bad if not worse than Glass. I look back on the season so far and the success has massively relied on Duk, his emergence is what has driven us up the table. Regardless what people have said Bojan has also been a good signing but I do agree that he hasn't been great in a number of games but has contributed more than enough to be a good signing. Patchy at best I think is really unfair on them. 

As i've always said id ask more questions about Goodwin than the recruitment at this stage. 

17 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

That there is a broken, clueless and defeated man. One who once again shot himself in the foot.

He's like this every game, noticed this last year as st mirren manager trying to kick every ball when we pumped them at the tail end of last year under glass, same dug out as well. Nice guy and says it as he sees it but not a football manager. He's too erratic for that.

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

Ramadani was superb last night. Scales is pretty decent. Coulsons a good player. Hit and miss, same as every manager. Writing off the likes of Morris is early for me too. I actually thought Richardson done okay until the goals too, which is no use obviously.

Ramadani was ok superb is a bit much I’d say 

53 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I thought he was very good. 

That’s not as good as superb good to see your seeing sence 😂

Maybe if you were at the game he might of looked better as you might see a lot of stuff you don’t see on tv but I thought both Barron and clarkson were better than him 

On 12/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, sooth_stander said:

Agreed, as I said before, the rot goes way beyond the manager. If the Board cannot appoint competent people, then they too must fall on their sword. 

On 12/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, DelMonte said:

I’m not behind sacking managers after one transfer window. 

Agreed, which is why I still advocate giving him the January transfer window. However, as Sooth Stander has pointed out above, the recruitment isn't all down to the manager, which begs the question as to how is the "prawcess" being managed? Surely the manager must have a decent input on who/what he needs? Moreover, it the Board can't back him, what makes us think yet another change in manager will remedy the situation, if the same backroom team will be responsible for the inevitable rebuild?

3 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Agreed, as I said before, the rot goes way beyond the manager. If the Board cannot appoint competent people, then they too must fall on their sword. 

Agreed, which is why I still advocate giving him the January transfer window. However, as Sooth Stander has pointed out above, the recruitment isn't all down to the manager, which begs the question as to how is the "prawcess" being managed? Surely the manager must have a decent input on who/what he needs? Moreover, it the Board can't back him, what makes us think yet another change in manager will remedy the situation, if the same backroom team will be responsible for the inevitable rebuild?

The jist is Goodwin tells Mowbray what he’s after. The position, the attributes required etc. 

Mowbray provides a few alternatives.

Goodwin chooses his preferred option.

Gunn negotiates with the club &/or player.

So aye, regardless of the manager, Mowbray will provide the options for the manager to select from 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The jist is Goodwin tells Mowbray what he’s after. The position, the attributes required etc. 

Mowbray provides a few alternatives.

Goodwin chooses his preferred option.

Gunn negotiates with the club &/or player.

So aye, regardless of the manager, Mowbray will provide the options for the manager to select from 

Although there are some Goodwin has clearly wanted eg Stewart. Said he wanted him at St Mirren. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2022 at 5:21 PM, slippers said:

Don’t know where the Goodwin topic has gone? What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m not having this shite about it not being his squad from anyone now! He’s almost had 10 games in charge now and a couple of international breaks to work with squad! Its been an absolute car crash so far! You expect a new manager to improve or at very least match the previous regime until they get their own boys in. Not only was it hard to see how he was an outstanding candidate at the time of appointment but we also paid 200k to release him from his contract! Seen absolutely nothing that has changed my mind! I hope I’m wrong but I’m seriously worried now that we are going to waste yet another season with a dud in charge! 

Very annoying that goodwins shiteness was so obvious so long ago