Woodburning stove

Any of you lads got one .

I installed one myself  in my living room and put the flue through the roof on the first day the energy companies decided to rip their customers off on the first day of April.

If you don't have one if you can fit a wood-burner do it as our winters can be long and hard .

I've saved £100s already.

41 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

I installed one myself  in my living room and put the flue through the roof on the first day the energy companies decided to rip their customers off on the first day of April.

If you don't have one if you can fit a wood-burner do it as our winters can be long and hard .

Where you sourcing the lumber, Jack? 

Chopping down trees and that? 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Where you sourcing the lumber, Jack? 

Chopping down trees and that? 

Nah my future son in law works with a place that makes that makes stuff from wood .

I get as much as I want .

In April I got a 5 feet square and 5 feet high bag of it from him .

We used it up within 6 weeks .

Was ace watching a burning flame through the glass mate .

48 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

Nah my future son in law works with a place that makes that makes stuff from wood .

I get as much as I want .

In April I got a 5 feet square and 5 feet high bag of it from him .

We used it up within 6 weeks .

Was ace watching a burning flame through the glass mate .

Aye. Agreed. A proper wood-burning stove is lovely. 

I use Wood Burning Stoves up in the north... handy as fuck for when a storm smashes in from Canada and takes down the entire power grid in our area.  

Been a couple years since that happened, but I've seen us go a week without power before the utility companies manage to bring it back online. 

Same storm will usually knock down a few trees, so out you go with a chainsaw and you've all the wood you need to keep the place warm.  Generator can then concentrate on things like lights and the fridge. 

Probably more trouble than they're worth in a city where you have things like gas and electric, mind you. 

spacer.png

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Edwin Starr said:

Surely to fuck every other room in your house is cold though? 

9 hours ago, 1903Fitba said:

Surely to fuck every other room in your house is cold though? 

It's only a 2 bedroom we bungalow and the best circulated .

TBH I will know better during November to February.

Even when we stayed in Woodcroft Avenue a much bigger house I fitted a woodburning stove in there and it took some of the chill off upstairs .

But we did use the heating from time to time .

Maybe more due to laziness on my part.

https://www.homeawesomation.net/move-heat-from-wood-stove/

9 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

Hope you got permission to install that stove min. Local authorities frown on that things due to the high carbon emmissions.

Save the planet ken.

It's an eco woodburning stove I have and the wood I burn is perfect for low emissions.

https://www.contura.eu/en-gb/inspiration/read-our-blog/blogg/2018-10-04-ecodesign-ready-stoves-reduce-emissions-by-90#:~:text=Wood Burning Stove vs Open Fire - The,to only 15 minutes on an open fire.

• 5 months later...
On 6/10/2022 at 5:34 AM, Edwin Starr said:

It's only a 2 bedroom we bungalow and the best circulated .

TBH I will know better during November to February.

Even when we stayed in Woodcroft Avenue a much bigger house I fitted a woodburning stove in there and it took some of the chill off upstairs .

But we did use the heating from time to time .

Maybe more due to laziness on my part.

https://www.homeawesomation.net/move-heat-from-wood-stove/

How's this working out Ed?

aye, got one installed a good few years ago, cracking to look at and provides a fair amount of heat - and very little hassle.

Got a open fire in another room , dont use that as much though, still provides heat (not as much), about the same (very little) hassle to keep clean - just more of a hassle to get it going if using coal

have always managed to source wood in the last 20 years, havent bought any yet - coal you have to buy, unless you want to spend time picking up the sea coal down the beach

17 minutes ago, sigh said:

aye, got one installed a good few years ago, cracking to look at and provides a fair amount of heat - and very little hassle.

Got a open fire in another room , dont use that as much though, still provides heat (not as much), about the same (very little) hassle to keep clean - just more of a hassle to get it going if using coal

have always managed to source wood in the last 20 years, havent bought any yet - coal you have to buy, unless you want to spend time picking up the sea coal down the beach

Take up serial killing and burn the bodies.

31 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Take up serial killing and burn the bodies.

There's generally a lot of oily fat in yer average Scottish person these days, takes a fair heat to start that rendering down, lots of liquid given off - and theres a giveaway smell - even throwing parts of old tyres on doesnt disguise the smell.

7 minutes ago, sigh said:

There's generally a lot of oily fat in yer average Scottish person these days, takes a fair heat to start that rendering down, lots of liquid given off - and theres a giveaway smell - even throwing parts of old tyres on doesnt disguise the smell.

Sounds like the voice of experience....

1 hour ago, sigh said:

Don’t need to go for Scottish folk. Tad racist imo.