Anthony Stewart

His distribution was poor bur came onto a game eventually however there can be no denying the whole defence looked pretty shaky for half an hour from the 10th till 40th minutes when Raith missed a shedload of chances and really deserved to be level with us. TBF our midfield were posted missing in action a fair amount of this time which piled the pressure onto the defence.

I just have a lot of misgivings that our defence as a whole are about to face a completely different level of opposition and may well get found out. 

6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

His distribution was poor bur came onto a game eventually however there can be no denying the whole defence looked pretty shaky for half an hour from the 10th till 40th minutes when Raith missed a shedload of chances and really deserved to be level with us. TBF our midfield were posted missing in action a fair amount of this time which piled the pressure onto the defence.

I just have a lot of misgivings that our defence as a whole are about to face a completely different level of opposition and may well get found out. 

Agreed, TC. The full backs in particular look very shaky to me. I fear for them vs better opposition. 

27 minutes ago, RUL said:

I actually thought he had a good game. Yeah he gave the ball away, but his actual defending was spot on, great in the air, and that block at 3-0 was tremendous, body on the line. 

That challenge was an old-fashioned, 50/50 tackle, not worthy of a yellow card as he wins the ball fair and square. I am sure the lad Easton, who was on the receiving end of it and looked impressive, would agree. 

Shame, just like many other things, you cannot do that nowadays without it being frowned upon though.

Lot of focus on Aberdeen players being at fault on here generally, fact is, lesser teams sit deeper and make it hard for us to get the ball to our attackers. Stewart and co were up to the halfway line, trying to find a way through, over and over again. 

In the 2nd half, they tried to attack, hence Hayes' counter attack goal.

We didn't give the ball away, pass attempts were cut out/ intercepted.

We'll be the ones sitting against Celtic.

Honestly, 4 wins, 4 clean sheets and some of you still shit the bed. The Hibs, St. Mirren and St. Johnstone fans must be chasing their players around the streets with burning torches.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I would not worry too much about the fannying about at the back for Celtic Park. They will have full license to blooter it out or up the park which is kinda not banter when we are winning and its a glorified pre season friendly.

They practised playing long balls behind the full backs in the Peterhead game and we'll surely see 10 or more of them next week

52 minutes ago, Mr John said:

We didn't give the ball away, pass attempts were cut out/ intercepted

There was one blatant occasion where Stewart's pass attempt was cut out/intercepted and Raith we're on the attack 2 seconds later. Maybe the Scales tackle??

Anyway that was 'giving the ball away'. Poor decision making and execution under no real pressure.

But I quite like Stewart, he seems to have good defensive instincts.

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Pretty much agree with this. I thought he was average in possession but did seem to defend well and be in the right place when raith were on top in the first half. Actually thought his tackle near the end where he got booked was pretty rash. 

A lot of opinions based on Stewart only playing well against shitey level opposition.  I doubt that we can consider Motherwell, Hibs, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock or Livingstone much more than a shitey level, so he'll be a stand out in at least half our games.  He did seem ponderous yesterday but was never done for pace, so maybe he's faster than he looks!  He made one unbelievable flying block when it seemed certain Raith would score in the second half, but the tackle for which he was booked was mis-timed and as clear a free kick and yellow card as you are likley to see.  That foul was also just a couple of yards outside the box, and so would be a clear penalty if he tried it in Glasgow.

10 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Do you know who Anthony Stewart is and what he looks like??

That comment goes down as one of your worst ever and that takes some doing. 

Stewart, in terms of defending, was fucking superb yesterday. If he cuts out his tendency to morph into Franco Baresi when passing (although this tends to only happen at the very start of games), we've got a consistent 7 or 8/10 performer every match. 

Surely morphing into Baresi would be superb

51 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Surely morphing into Baresi would be superb

It would be but he's a very long way to go. However, only one or two central defenders can get even close to, never mind emulate, Baresi in the time football has been in existence.

If Anthony Stewart sticks to what he is bloody good at (i.e. the art of defending), he'll be a fantastic acquisition to our club.

Listening to a few Dons podcasts today, the view on Stewart was that he did all right v Celtic but tended to defend too deep, for fear of having his lack of pace exposed.

Not sure I subscribe to that point of view; can’t say I noticed from my vantage point in front of my TV.

EDIT - For some reason, I think Stewart’s surname is Andrews. Repeatedly. ?

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Listening to a few Dons podcasts today, the view on Stewart was that he did all right v Celtic but tended to defend too deep, for fear of having his lack of pace exposed.

Not sure I subscribe to that point of view; can’t say I noticed from my vantage point in front of my TV.

His best part of his game is his reading of it at crosses and cut backs seemed to be in the way a lot cutting them out 

On 7/25/2022 at 6:29 PM, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It would be but he's a very long way to go. However, only one or two central defenders can get even close to, never mind emulate, Baresi in the time football has been in existence.

If Anthony Stewart sticks to what he is bloody good at (i.e. the art of defending), he'll be a fantastic acquisition to our club.

Didn’t see him pointing or shouting much during the game.

As captain he should be marshalling the defence and barking out orders.

Hopefully he will grow into it.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Very good observation. However, I did note on a few occasions (one in particular in the first half when their "goal" was rightly chopped off) that the rest of the defence was in sync with him. 

All bodes well. 

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Haha weird!

I keep getting a mind-blank when i think of his surname

I always think he is called something Anthony - think it's cos he has 2 first names!

14 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

He seems to quite often get drawn to the ball unwittingly, ending up in no mans land. Needs to brush up on his skills.

He was also trying to captain basically a makeshift defence though. Maybe didn’t trust them as much as Scales & felt he needed to do more himself (rightly or wrongly)

On 8/2/2022 at 4:49 PM, Joe pike said:

Complete opposite view of both Levein and Miller who both stated in previous games how much talking and organising Stewart does. 

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

Complete opposite view of both Levein and Miller who both stated in previous games how much talking and organising Stewart does. 

Exactly. Tend to find ‘the pointers’  are the Fannys in reality. Like Porteous at Hibs for example. Micro managing mouthpiece with delusions of grandeur. All the pointing etc is just a big show for the manager, fans etc. as part of a way of trying to look like he is the main dude & folk need to listen to him. 

Stewart was great at controlling the line to catch Celtic offside. He clearly wanted rest of defence a yard in front so he was in control. Fair enough that as it was a new/makeshift defence that aren’t on same wavelength.

He seems perfectly able to communicate with the defence without waving his arms about like an idiot (which also broadcasts the intentions to opponents incidentally)