Hearts - Scottish Champions

3 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

, The sorry fact is Aberdeen, Hearts ,and Hibs should all be aspiring to win the league, 

36 fucking years, and in very dubious if any other club outside those two will win it in my lifetime, 

How it will happen will require a whole string of events to transpire, those two to have horrendous injury list,. Referees nor awarding them any decisions, 

Teams to go and have a go at them every week and the two of them to be below par more often than not, 

VAR could in theory be the great leveller here... McInnes showed it is possible to build a team that is comfortably able to pump everyone else in the league, what you then need to be able to do is get a couple of results against Rangers & Celtic which I know is easier said than done.

But as someone said above, being in and around it at New Year and striking distance of the top by the split puts immense pressure on one or both, and with VAR (again, in theory, for those of you who think they'll still use this to give shit decisions to them) then it's not inconceivable that it could be done. 

It just better not be fucking done by Hearts.

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It is obvious though that without belief and striving to be the very best, you'll never be the best you can be. 

Really ?....so in order to be the best golfer I can be , who or what is the very best I should strive to be ?...... Number 1 in the world rankings ?.....or even just the best at my local club. ?.....both are entirely unrealistic.

40 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

VAR could in theory be the great leveller here... McInnes showed it is possible to build a team that is comfortably able to pump everyone else in the league, what you then need to be able to do is get a couple of results against Rangers & Celtic which I know is easier said than done.

But as someone said above, being in and around it at New Year and striking distance of the top by the split puts immense pressure on one or both, and with VAR (again, in theory, for those of you who think they'll still use this to give shit decisions to them) then it's not inconceivable that it could be done. 

It just better not be fucking done by Hearts.

Can’t see it.  VAR will always “protect” the ballers.  Money dictates they’ll have more of them than we will.

yes, there’ll be one offs - things happening towards end of games that could make a difference that were previously waved aside (madden, Ferguson, McGregor and the RDS always spring to mind) but over the course of the game you would expect them to have more VAR-able incidents than we will.

38 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I can’t see any runaway non cheek winners, a Leicester if you will.  Staying close 6pts off the nearest one max at the split will always be key.  Most likely if they concentrate on each other and let let one of us slip past, almost by default.

And by most likely I mean not very.

If we played each other twice rather than 4 times then I think a club might be able to make a run at it occasionally. 

• Upvote 3
21 hours ago, Millertime said:

Calderwood absolutely loved beating rangers as did mcinnes

So, you're whole point is meaningless 

You missed the point entirely. Yes, they enjoyed the occasional win we got over them. Yes, they enjoyed the occasional cup run. However, in the grander scheme of things, they never threatened the status quo and had neither the inclination nor the ability to really do so. The media loved them for this, safe in the knowledge that they would occasionally throw us a bone (i.e. an occasional win over the Hun or a few cup runs) but never challenge the perceived natural order. 

The whole Scottish game is a joke. Do I have the answer? Do I fuck. Maybe if they did fuck off to England or something, but then would winning it not diminish it.

I actually don’t understand being a Celtic or Rangers fan, is your whole life just getting one up on your rivals.

Obviously I want to see Aberdeen winning, but surely to fuck going to Parkhead or Ibrox as a home fan when you pretty much would be in shock if you didn’t beat St Mirren or some pish can’t be any excitement.

You need some competition.

15 minutes ago, Fridge said:

The whole Scottish game is a joke. Do I have the answer? Do I fuck. Maybe if they did fuck off to England or something, but then would winning it not diminish it.

I actually don’t understand being a Celtic or Rangers fan, is your whole life just getting one up on your rivals.

Obviously I want to see Aberdeen winning, but surely to fuck going to Parkhead or Ibrox as a home fan when you pretty much would be in shock if you didn’t beat St Mirren or some pish can’t be any excitement.

You need some competition.

The irony being thats actually whats held them back.  As long as you beat them, thats enough.

4 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

That is agree we with a 16 team top flight might see more of a concerted challenge to 

I'm not so sure. How do you structure games for a 16 team league?

Each team home and away once - 30 games

Then split into 2 groups of 8 and play each team once - 7 games

Total of 37 games but 7 of those are post split. That feels worse than it is now.

Unless I am missing something entriely obvious.

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

You missed the point entirely. Yes, they enjoyed the occasional win we got over them. Yes, they enjoyed the occasional cup run. However, in the grander scheme of things, they never threatened the status quo and had neither the inclination nor the ability to really do so. The media loved them for this, safe in the knowledge that they would occasionally throw us a bone (i.e. an occasional win over the Hun or a few cup runs) but never challenge the perceived natural order. 

You think them being rangers men had anything to do with us not challenging?

You're such an enigmatic poster

You speak really well, style wise, but the content is finendandy levels of keech 

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

Total of 37 games but 7 of those are post split. That feels worse than it is now.

That could be a magic idea if all points were reset to zero after the split

On 7/24/2022 at 7:18 PM, Millertime said:

You speak really well, style wise, but the content is finendandy levels of keech 

You really are clueless in basic comprehension, aren't you? Or perhaps you're just trolling. If so, then you're doing so very badly. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and clarify once more:-

The fact Calderwood and McInnes were/are Rangers fans, in itself, had limited impact on our modest success against Rantic and Celgers. Their affiliations did however endear them to the Weegia; cases in point are the former's cringe worthy "wee Barry / big Boydy" repertoire and the latter's (admittedly fairly articulate) cosy admiration for the deceased diseased during punditry slots.

However, the crux of my argument is that they were amply tolerated by said Weegia not simply because of their love of the Orcs, but because they were all limited ability, close enough to give us an occasional cup run and/or win over the arse cheeks (thus keeping things mildly interesting) but never, ever threatening the status quo.

The elephant in the room that you continually ignore whilst you praise both former managers, is their universal acceptance of the purported natural order of things, their readiness to accept our place in the game. No-one expected us to actually win the league, but their lack of ambition make it a certainty they would swallow up the majority of trophies between them. Ergo, they - and you! - are part of the problem.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

You really are clueless in basic comprehension, aren't you? Or perhaps you're just trolling. If so, then you're doing so very badly. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and clarify once more:-

The fact Calderwood and McInnes were/are Rangers fans, in itself, had limited impact on our modest success against Rantic and Celgers. Their affiliations did however endear them to the Weegia; cases in point are the former's cringe worthy "wee Barry / big Boydy" repertoire and the latter's (admittedly fairly articulate) cosy admiration for the deceased diseased during punditry slots.

However, the crux of my argument is that they were amply tolerated by said Weegia not simply because of their love of the Orcs, but because they were all limited ability, close enough to give us an occasional cup run and/or win over the arse cheeks (thus keeping things mildly interesting) but never, ever threatening the status quo.

The elephant in the room that you continually ignore whilst you praise both former managers, is their universal acceptance of the purported natural order of things, their readiness to accept our place in the game. No-one expected us to actually win the league, but their lack of ambition make it a certainty they would swallow up the majority of trophies between them. Ergo, they - and you! - are part of the problem.

Again, eloquently put, but waffle

What mcinnes and calderwood said in the media, re tempering expectation, was the absolute opposite of what they said behind closed doors which is exactly how it should be

Loudmouth,  boasting managers rarely do well

I think the fact we haven't won a league in so long is more down to those 2 being able to spend 9m on individual players 

On 7/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, TheRedPrawcess said:

I genuinely don’t see the problem with that other than the unfair home/away arguments post split but that could be easily changed to accommodate post split home & away fixtures by adding extra games. Top 6 bottom 8 split. Giving 40 games a season to top 6 teams & fk the bottom 8 they can do what they want. Play each other once post split giving 37 games or twice playing 44 games. ?

On 7/24/2022 at 7:18 PM, Millertime said:

It's nothing to do with McInnes or Calderwood, the problem always lay with Milne . Aberdeen had the best chance of breaking the dominance of Celtic during the the 

Deila reign,  and what support did Miine provide SFA

18 minutes ago, winchester83 said:

It's nothing to do with McInnes or Calderwood, the problem always lay with Milne . Aberdeen had the best chance of breaking the dominance of Celtic during the the 

What support was Milne supposed to give the SFA?

9 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I genuinely don’t see the problem with that other than the unfair home/away arguments post split but that could be easily changed to accommodate post split home & away fixtures by adding extra games. Top 6 bottom 8 split. Giving 40 games a season to top 6 teams & fk the bottom 8 they can do what they want. Play each other once post split giving 37 games or twice playing 44 games. ?

Top 6 and bottom 8 is a 14 team league, not 16 teams so that's out.

It also has to be equitable for both sides of the split. How do you sell season tickets on your formula of top split play so many games and bottom play less? Bottom clubs are punished with less gate receipts. 

It also, surely runs the risk of becoming less competitive the more post split games there are? It only just works with 5 games and 15 points available. You start getting into the realms of 20+ points and that just becomes a nonsense.

I'm not a fan of the current system, but it only just works the way it is. Any other permutation of it becomes ridiculous in my opinion. Increasing the number of teams only makes sense to go up to 20 with 19 jome and 19 away games. Then the discussion becomes pointless as that would never be approved because the broadcasters would not get their current 4 arse cheek games a season.

On 7/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, Medw1311 said:

That could be a magic idea if all points were reset to zero after the split

Worst idea i've ever heard.

Imagine winning the "league" but all you've really done is win the 7 game mini-league at the end over a team that was 30 points ahead of you pre-split. Wouldn't even be able to celebrate that.

Immediately and permanently in the bin.

Let's go full on Yankee style in honour of Cormack and get some playoff action in place.

League of 16 teams.

Two stages of 15 games each.

Stage winners qualify for playoffs.

Two teams with best overall record that didn't win a stage also qualify for playoffs.

Home and away semi-finals (stage winners at home in 2nd leg).

Home and away final for the title (team with best overall record home in 2nd leg).

Playoff semi losers play off for Europa League place.

Yee ha, loads of fun.

12 hours ago, winchester83 said:

It's worth noting during the Milne era, 6 SPL teams went into administration, none of them us (although we've come close), we've also not been relegated in that era (despite coming close) while "Living within our means [sic]", so credit where due. Yes, the lack of trophies, exciting players and football are a grievance, but things could have been worse. 

Agree that the wrong management/player combo can be a complete fucking disaster and that is clearly at the feet of the current chairman after last seasons plummet down the table and early exit out the cups, but still, we're competing in a cramped league with a combination of two clubs with ten times the resources and other clubs scrapping as desperately as our own.

Temper your expectations.

• Upvote 1