Leighton Clarkson

1 hour ago, Singapore Steve said:

Couple of great passes when he came on , something sorely missing this season from him.   Hope he is kept in this higher position, supplying Miovski with chances. 

Couple of awful passes too and he hesitated 1 on 1 with goalie.

Hmm.

• Dildo 1

Clarkson is a quality young player who Robson was playing out of position.  The further forward he is, the more impact he has on a game.  He can find a pass that others don't see, like the one to Bojan when he was marginally offside. 

Little point having a strategy of bringing players to the club like Leighton, developing them to sell at a profit, and having a gormless buffoon coaching them.  A player value will only decrease if the coaching is shite. 

7 minutes ago, I remember the Capitol said:

Clarkson is a quality young player who Robson was playing out of position.  The further forward he is, the more impact he has on a game.  He can find a pass that others don't see, like the one to Bojan when he was marginally offside. 

Little point having a strategy of bringing players to the club like Leighton, developing them to sell at a profit, and having a gormless buffoon coaching them.  A player value will only decrease if the coaching is shite. 

Maybe but the same coaching seems to have made Miovski even better...

• Dildo 1
39 minutes ago, I remember the Capitol said:

Its funny how often you see it.  I remember Robson picking out Pawletts runs with similar clever wee passes but clearly couldnt coach Clarkson.  But then I remember God owning Rumenigge et al but then persevering with a calamitous back 5 in 95.   

McGrath in first half and then Clarkson in second half both had the chance to run at a retreating Rangers defence. Both did not fancy it but McGrath had the intelligence to get a free kick. This system we play only works if midfielders get up to Miovisky quickly enough. We dont have anyone apart from an on form Duk who has the pace.

Rangers speed and physicality were too much for Barron and Clarkson. Changes should have been made quicker.

16 minutes ago, davierobb said:

McGrath in first half and then Clarkson in second half both had the chance to run at a retreating Rangers defence. Both did not fancy it but McGrath had the intelligence to get a free kick. This system we play only works if midfielders get up to Miovisky quickly enough. We dont have anyone apart from an on form Duk who has the pace.

Rangers speed and physicality were too much for Barron and Clarkson. Changes should have been made quicker.

It's because they both have zero pace

That's obvious, surely 

7 hours ago, davierobb said:

That was my point. Why play a system which relies on players having pace to support the striker when we dont have those type of players. Dont blame Clarkon or McGrath if you ask them to do somthing they cant do.

I can see why he played Clarkson. He thought they'd leave gaps in behind which we could exploit. 

Problem is he just doesn't have the physical qualities to put in the required shift that you need in a game like last night. 

But the problem lies with the players we've accumulated this season.  I'd struggle to think of a system to put them in that wouldn't still have plenty of weaknesses regardless of who was on the pitch. 

8 hours ago, davierobb said:

That was my point. Why play a system which relies on players having pace to support the striker when we dont have those type of players. Dont blame Clarkon or McGrath if you ask them to do somthing they cant do.

Ask the former manager, we have one of the slowest sides in the league I bet?  We have no pace at all makes a huge difference to a side. 

I can see Duncan getting a start along with Morris on Saturday for this reason alone. 

I've not watched the U18s for a while is there anyone there that can fly down the wing? 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

Ask the former manager, we have one of the slowest sides in the league I bet?  We have no pace at all makes a huge difference to a side. 

I can see Duncan getting a start along with Morris on Saturday for this reason alone. 

I've not watched the U18s for a while is there anyone there that can fly down the wing? 

Been saying this for a whil. We are crying out for some pace in the side. 

32 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

The 'out of position' excuse is wearing thin. Seeing absolutely nothing from him.

What are folk expecting him or any other creative player to do in a game like last night where he gets zero time on the ball?  our new great white hope Barron was worse than him and Shinnie was a joke for most of the game too.

• Like 1

It's pretty clear that half of our fans are fucking idiots when it comes to players with actual talent.  Clarkson is at his best when he has time and some space to pick out a pass to the more advanced attackers in the team, games like last night he's not going to get that.

It's pretty clear he was instructed to play a more defensive role, pressing and covering space when out of possession, that's not his game, we'd have been better with Polvara or Phillips doing that.

There's no denying that he's underperformed this season, majority of the team has but I think a lot of folk are forgeting what he brought to the team last season, that player is still there, it's up to the manager to bring it out of him by playing him in a role that suits him.

• Upvote 3
19 minutes ago, minijc said:

What are folk expecting him or any other creative player to do in a game like last night where he gets zero time on the ball?  our new great white hope Barron was worse than him and Shinnie was a joke for most of the game too.

Been hearing that all season. A good player will always find a way. Not denying his talent but this season he has offered nothing.

3 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Been hearing that all season. A good player will always find a way. Not denying his talent but this season he has offered nothing.

Bullshit, what's he meant to do, try take on their midfield by himself?  A few of our best performances came when he was in his suited role, last night the midfield wasn't right, instead of Clarkson or Barron Polvara or Phillips should have played, even McGrath was largely poor last night but folk seem to be fixated on Clarkson.

And the reason you've heard it most of the season is because the ginger fud Robson was misusing him for most of the games, actually misused several players.

• Upvote 1