Time up for Goodwin?

Jim Goodwin  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Should Goodwin be binned?

An Aberdeen manager won’t get sacked on the back of one goal defeats to Celtic & The Rangers so we can forget it for now, especially whilst we’re up challenging for 3rd & in both cups. 

Before those two bigot brother matches, I had big doubts about Goodwin.  
I strongly suspected he was at a club that’s too big for him. 

Tactically inept, as proven with several horrendous examples this season.

Before the last two games, I was willing to give him the January window to get the three players in that we need & to re-balance the squad

Now? 
I genuinely don’t know. 
I am leaning to thinking he’s out of his depth & too negatively minded when it comes to the big moments. 
He had a reputation for that at St Mirren too.
That’ll never get us anywhere.

There’s no obvious candidate in Scotland.  
If you’re doing well in England, you’re not interested in coming here.  
In Europe, you need to be ahead of the curve somehow & find the next Knutsen for example, before his name is beyond us.  
Folk who were touting him when Glass was punted were about a year too late. 

He’ll be here through the January window, so we have to hope he makes a good job of it. 
And he HAS to change his mindset when it comes to big moments. 
I doubt he will.

I think we’ll be 4th this season, which will keep him here for the duration of his contract. 

10 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

He wont get the dunt as long as he's in the running for 3rd and doing well in the cups. 

Willing to give him that time, hopefully has two defenders lined up in January, sorts out the away form and pulls off a miracle in the League Cup. 

Yeah and that is realistic. 

1 minute ago, RAZOR said:

Yeah and that is realistic. 

Aye. The season can still be a decent one if we get a couple of competent defenders and another midfielder in during the January window. The majority of the side have done well for the most part. 

Hopefully the parking the bus experiment is dead in the water now after Saturday and last night. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. The season can still be a decent one if we get a couple of competent defenders and another midfielder in during the January window. The majority of the side have done well for the most part. 

Hopefully the parking the bus experiment is dead in the water now after Saturday and last night. 

That said. It is going to take a miracle and it feels like we’re delaying the inevitable. 

His support is dwindling. 

Bit of a curate's egg is this one. 

On the one hand, he took a failed team under Glass and has made us into a much, much better attacking side (at home anyway). The signings of Miovski, Scales and especially Duk have lifted the whole club. 

We're 3rd in the league (but probably not for much longer) and in a cup semi final. When this side are good, they can be very good. 

On the other hand, when we're bad, we're very bad. Away from home, we're generally an easy touch....far too easily run over, and Goodwin seems unable and/or incapable of altering events during games in our favour. 

He's put together a defence that is half good (Scales, Coulson) and half a liability(Richardson and often Stewart). The jury is out on Roos. 

He hasn't yet assembled a squad that is anywhere near good enough to challenge for a European place. The bench is full of players that don't deserve to be at Pittodrie, and youngsters that he doesn't seem to trust. 

Imho, we've improved under Goodwin. But something isn't right and it's knawing away at the confidence that fans have in him. 

Just now, RAZOR said:

That said. It is going to take a miracle and it feels like we’re delaying the inevitable. 

His support is dwindling. 

Aye he's had a bad week in terms of killing any goodwill he might have built up before the break. 

Folk were really looking forward to the domestic game restarting then he kills it by parking the bus against Celtic .  Followed by the last 20 minutes last night when he thought bringing on Morris to defend the right side with Richardson would be a good idea. 

Definitely read the room wrong. 

26 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Don't hold your breath given the shitebags comments after both matches

Duk looked like he was struggling just before he came off last night. I don't think he'd have taken him off if he wasn't. 

But the subs he made were baffling outwith that. Why he'd bring on Morris rather than Besuijen just boggles the mind. 

January needs to be a very big window. Not just for Goodwin. But for Cormack aswell. To show he's not made a cunt of his managerial appointments. 

Has to be 2 centre halves, a right back and a central midfielder as a minimum. New striker wouldn't go amiss either. 

6 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Duk looked like he was struggling just before he came off last night. I don't think he'd have taken him off if he wasn't. 

But the subs he made were baffling outwith that. Why he'd bring on Morris rather than Besuijen just boggles the mind. 

January needs to be a very big window. Not just for Goodwin. But for Cormack aswell. To show he's not made a cunt of his managerial appointments. 

Has to be 2 centre halves, a right back and a central midfielder as a minimum. New striker wouldn't go amiss either. 

The issue was that he took off two strikers and decided to play with just one. 

That was why we were seeing Goldson running to the edge of our box unchallenged, like Carter-Vickers on Saturday. 

If the players were tired, fair enough, it was the change of formation that invited all the problems and inevitable defeat. 

1 minute ago, The Gee Man said:

Was Duk struggling because we played no football for a month, surely a couple of bounce games would have helped , again another decision by Goodwin 

Seems bizarre that the only game we played was a wee kick about against a bunch of kids in Atlanta. 

With our first two games back being high intensity, high profile matches against the OF.....only 3 days apart.....you would have thought that it would only be common sense to fit in at least one friendly last week. 

Some of the players (Duk especially) looked like they'd just begun pre-season training last night. 

I think you arrive at a stalemate which is, he was a safe pair of hands appointment that has us playing attacking football but that has very little tactical nouse. In other words he's bang average. Aberdeen can only play attacking football given our defensive options. If he doesn't immediately remedy that in Jan he'll be as much use as a turkey in a vegan restaurant. His skills as a manager don't seem to be that much more proficient as anyone else in the league Ange excepted. If he just lets the team go out and attack and not do the sitting deep bollocks we'll win more than we lose but as I've said already bang average, doesn't seem to learn much and his comments to the media after the Celtic game won't make anyone warm to him if they aren't lukewarm enough to him already..

He's not in danger of getting sacked while we're 3rd and in a cup semi - single goal defeats to Celtic & Sevco are probably deemed a success in the minds of some at the club. 

I'm fed up of him though. He's clearly not got any tactical awareness, and he doesn't appear to be all that great with the man-management stuff either. I don't really get the feeling that he's got a great bond with the players or that they're really playing for him. His ineptitude has been masked somewhat by the performances of guys like Duk and Clarkson and maybe to a lesser extend guys like Miovski, Scales, Ramadani and Coulson. I don't think he's been responsible for any of those signings though (other than maybe Scales).

We have the basis of a decent team. Scales, McCrorie, Coulson, Ramadani, Barron, Clarkson, Hayes, Duk, Miovski, Besoujin, Ramirez are all good players at SPL level (most other teams in the league would be happy to have any or all of them), and there's a decent crop of youngsters who can play a part like MacKenzie, Duncan etc. I don't think Goodwin has the ability - tactically or man-management wise to get the best out of the players we have here already, never mind move us forward. We are where we are (3rd and in the cup semi) in spite of Goodwin, not because of him. 

1 minute ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Serious question.

Does Goodwin bide locally or does he part time rent with family home in central belt?

If latter would be good to know if he is devoting appropriate attention to team affairs for next couple of matches as opposed to spending time with the family. 

Harsh but comes with the job.

Don't like it don't take on the job.

McInnes rented a place for years 

Just now, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Exactly. 

Would be good if manager could commit to area.

Good example when trying to recruit players, and their families. 

"Do you live locally boss?". "No my family would rather live in Paisley".

Tough to expect folk to buy in the area nowadays though due to the short term nature of managerial appointments. 

Makes a lot of sense to rent 

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Tough to expect folk to buy in the area nowadays though due to the short term nature of managerial appointments. 

Makes a lot of sense to rent 

Valid point.

Suppose my anger following the last couple of matches is getting the better of me.

All I'll need to put me over the edge is some prick on Sportsound saying "we should have been careful what we wished for" when we wanted Del Boy out.

1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

Seems bizarre that the only game we played was a wee kick about against a bunch of kids in Atlanta. 

With our first two games back being high intensity, high profile matches against the OF.....only 3 days apart.....you would have thought that it would only be common sense to fit in at least one friendly last week. 

Some of the players (Duk especially) looked like they'd just begun pre-season training last night. 

No, it was celtic and the rangers we played. The old firm doesn't exist any more

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I’d say;

Keeper. Roos is unreliable & has cost us a good too few many goals. 
Right back.  
Centre half.   
Centre mid.

Try & off load or loan out 3 or 4. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

An Aberdeen manager won’t get sacked on the back of one goal defeats to Celtic & The Rangers so we can forget it for now, especially whilst we’re up challenging for 3rd & in both cups. 

Before those two bigot brother matches, I had big doubts about Goodwin.  
I strongly suspected he was at a club that’s too big for him. 

Tactically inept, as proven with several horrendous examples this season.

Before the last two games, I was willing to give him the January window to get the three players in that we need & to re-balance the squad

Now? 
I genuinely don’t know. 
I am leaning to thinking he’s out of his depth & too negatively minded when it comes to the big moments. 
He had a reputation for that at St Mirren too.
That’ll never get us anywhere.

There’s no obvious candidate in Scotland.  
If you’re doing well in England, you’re not interested in coming here.  
In Europe, you need to be ahead of the curve somehow & find the next Knutsen for example, before his name is beyond us.  
Folk who were touting him when Glass was punted were about a year too late. 

He’ll be here through the January window, so we have to hope he makes a good job of it. 
And he HAS to change his mindset when it comes to big moments. 
I doubt he will.

I think we’ll be 4th this season, which will keep him here for the duration of his contract. 

There is an obvious candidate,  proven wherever he has gone and we should be doing everything within our power to get him, even if it’s in a job share basis with our national team for now.