Angus MacDonald

Aberdeen FC has this afternoon further strengthened its defensive options with the arrival of Angus MacDonald on a short-term permanent deal.

Angus joins the Dons following release from his current club, English League Two side Swindon Town FC.

The 30-year-old defender brings with him a wealth of experience having made close to 300 appearances in the English leagues.

He began his career in the Reading FC academy and embarked on a number of loan spells before signing for Salisbury City in 2013. He then joined Torquay United the following year and went on to make close to 70 appearances over a two-year spell.

Following a move to Championship side Barnsley, where he became captain, he signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with Hull City in 2018. Upon the conclusion of his Hull contract, he joined Rotherham United in the summer of 2020, making near 50 appearances for the Millers. Angus moved to Swindon Town in 2022 and was immediately installed as club captain.

Given his experience, Interim Manager, Barry Robson, is pleased to add Angus to the squad for the remainder of the season.

He added: “Angus has played an abundance of games at a high level down south and brings with him a wealth of experience which I think will be hugely beneficial to us in the second part of the season.

“He’s been captain at many of his clubs and I’ve no doubt his leadership will be invaluable.”

Angus trained with the squad today in preparation for the match against St Mirren and will be available for selection

Bit of a scrambled one, it seems. 

Very grim to think how few players that we're now relying on will be here next year. 

De ja vu from last season, and the one before. 

Hell of an indictment to Scales and Stewart that we're bringing in a league 2 centre half who canna get a game for Swindon. 

2 minutes ago, G man said:

Seems like Robson is going for anything but Stewart. At least that is a step in the right direction. An experienced defender who has some leadership qualities is positive.

Although Swindon fans have said don’t let him pass the ball so maybe he is like Stewart 😂 Surely can’t be worse tho, and I hope Big Gus is great!

8 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Is this the lad that battled cancer or was feared to have cancer a few years back, name rings a bell?

If so he’s got my full backing no matter what, some things are more important than fitba, the fact he’s on the pitch is an achievement 👍

Welcome Big Gus!

Would explain how his development slowed.

Good luck to him, and welcome!

8 minutes ago, G man said:

Seems like Robson is going for anything but Stewart. At least that is a step in the right direction. An experienced defender who has some leadership qualities is positive.

F'kin right. Get both him and Scales to fuck.

I'd fire both MacDonald and Pollock straight into the side tomorrow night, and the goalie, if his clearance comes through in time.

6 minutes ago, G man said:

Strangely we’d have said the same about Stewart when he signed as well…how he’s been so bad is very strange as he was strong league one and even championship performer for Wycombe! Bizarre how he’s just a complete bombscare now!

Was hoping for something along the lines of 'The pair, both of whom are on the fringes of the international squad, are expected to go straight in to the middle of defence for Aberdeen in their upcoming game against St Mirren'. 

But 'The free agent who last played in England's fourth tier' is good too. 

Should really solidify our defence. 

Also, 'short term' and 'permanent' are two different things, and I require clarification. 

Just now, Ke1t said:

Was hoping for something along the lines of 'The pair, both of whom are on the fringes of the international squad, are expected to go straight in to the middle of defence for Aberdeen in their upcoming game against St Mirren'. 

Also, 'short term' and 'permanent' are two different things, and I require clarification. 

The fmb will release a statement in due course to clarify  the ‘short term’ ‘permanent’ statement 

2 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Played 8 games for Swindon this year so did he struggle with injuries/fitness/form - or all 3? Short term strikes me as a “prove yourself” type deal that gives us cover and gives him an opportunity. If he gets back to Hull/Rotherham form we have a decent CB option, if his wheels have come off then he moves on in a few months and nothing is lost.

• Upvote 1