42 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Even the most pessimistic of us would struggle to believe we’re so fkd we cannot hope/expect to sign a better midfielder than Barron for next season ffs.

Talk about massive exaggerations of negativity ffs 🤣

We can hope to, but would you expect it? 

The only decent midfielders we've signed in the past few seasons have been even more lightweight (Clarkson), or incapable of simple passes.

12 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Barron is a good, not great, SPFL midfielder already with time on his side and plenty scope to improve. He was only playing league 2 football a couple of seasons ago.

I’d be happy if we could keep him. Seems like a natural successor to Shinnie. Local lad, supporter etc.

We have far bigger issues to sort than Barron if he stays 

You are completely wrong

Barron is superb with a ceiling higher than ferguson 

• Haha 4

Don't agree that Baron has a higher ceiling than Ferguson at all. However he's better than others are suggesting.

He has some glaring weaknesses in his game which he needs to work around which are largely due to his diminuitive stature. He's never going to out muscle a player and given where he sits he needs to not try and do that and just be hyper aware of those around him when he's receiving the ball or playing it out. 

He gets caught less than he used to but still too much for that position. If he keeps improving on that aspect of his game he'll be a really good player wherever it is he ends up (because it sure doesn't look like it'll be with us).

I wish more players would just come out with it. I mean surely we're not such idiots that we wouldn't respect a player saying "I'm not going to sign an extension, I would like a new challenge but until then I'll continue to give my all". Right? Right...? The whole "I'm ignoring the future right now and focusing on playing" line... no one believes. No one.

• Upvote 1

Connor Barron is quality. Hasn't always played his best since he broke in but we're a better team for him being in it. 

He's contributed more good performances than Clarkson this season, so, when discussing any potential wage that's where I'd be starting if I were him. 

He shows for the ball no matter the score, will take it in dangerous areas, very agile with his hips to get away from opponents. 

Rarely does a Scottish player have such good technique and mindset when they come out an academy. 

Sign him and build a team around him. 

• Haha 1

He is a player I like. Reminds me of John Mcginn. If he's going he should just bloody say it. Nothing worse in life than being left hanging. If he supports the club as much as he proclaims then get on with it. Cause it feels like the club have made a decent offer for someone who still has a way to go. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, thegodfuzzy said:

He is a player I like. Reminds me of John Mcginn. If he's going he should just bloody say it. Nothing worse in life than being left hanging. If he supports the club as much as he proclaims then get on with it. Cause it feels like the club have made a decent offer for someone who still has a way to go. 

Connor Barron’s playing g style is nothing like John McGinn’s?

Each to their own, but that seems an odd comparison. 
For one, young Connor isn’t that strong, McGinn has it as one of his main assets.

McGinn scores goals, Barron doesn’t.

McGinn is all left foot, Barron right.

McGinn is an attacking midfielder, Barron “sits” in front of the defence. 

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Very strange affair, this. Why would we lowball offer the lad a new contract whilst simultaneously buying and paying top dollar for shite like Stewart, Richardson, Jensen, McGarry, Papa Gay, Morris - to name 6? 

Can’t help but think there is something else at play here 

Think this is just classic Aberdeen over many years. 

bisconti wants a pay rise? Nah but we’ll pay fees for mcquilken, sheerin and tosh and release bisconti early for having the cheek. 

ryan Fraser wants more than 4 hunner quid a week? Disgrace. But we’ll big wages for stephen hughes 

Barron is 21 years old, it's harsh to suggest that he's average / just okay. These young players are learning all the time, finding ways to improve their game and being mentored by the experienced lads / coaches. 

His injury was unfortunate too, and probably set back his progress a wee bit. feel like the past few games he's starting to return to that level that previously made a few heads turn. If he gets his head down he's going to be an immense player. 

3 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

Barron is 21 years old, it's harsh to suggest that he's average / just okay. These young players are learning all the time, finding ways to improve their game and being mentored by the experienced lads / coaches. 

His injury was unfortunate too, and probably set back his progress a wee bit. feel like the past few games he's starting to return to that level that previously made a few heads turn. If he gets his head down he's going to be an immense player. 

He’s somewhere in between for me. He’s good and I hope he stays. But I don’t think he’s going to go on and get even 5 Scotland caps. He’ll maybe get a couple. A Shinnie amount.

A good Scottish premiership / English championship / league 1 player. 

edit: didn’t realise Shinnie got as many as 6

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Very strange affair, this. Why would we lowball offer the lad a new contract whilst simultaneously buying and paying top dollar for shite like Stewart, Richardson, Jensen, McGarry, Papa Gay, Morris - to name 6? 

Original agent was the same guy Considine had wasn't it? So assuming that's possibly where things orignally stalled

Certainly cant imagine he'd had wanted to keep playing under Robson where the ball was getting shelled over his head at every opportunity

Could become a very solid midfielder for us, but doubt he'll be staying as he'd surely have signed a new deal by now, least we'll get a decent bit of compensation for him

2 hours ago, thegodfuzzy said:

If you compare him to anyone it would be Callum McGregor not John McGinn 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Absolutely nobody knows what he was offered

All conjecture started by someone on here

Remember you stating as fact that warnock was getting £500k for 4 months work here?

Same keech

31 minutes ago, The_Next_Legend said:

Ferguson was scoring overhead kicks in Europe against Burnley at 18....

Fergie 100% had a higher ceiling than Barron.

Ferguson has had the right attitude in the game from day 1. 

A constant drive to improve himself and the team, and to be a team player. 

Nobody can deny that he did his best for the club, and nobody denied him the right to better himself abroad. He deserves all the success that's coming to him.

Barron needs to take Ferguson's example and apply it to himself. Work hard to get a permanent place in the team, improve yourself, make the team better. 

Then start thinking about big money moves. 

• Upvote 7
7 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Connor Barron’s playing g style is nothing like John McGinn’s?

Each to their own, but that seems an odd comparison. 
For one, young Connor isn’t that strong, McGinn has it as one of his main assets.

McGinn scores goals, Barron doesn’t.

McGinn is all left foot, Barron right.

McGinn is an attacking midfielder, Barron “sits” in front of the defence. 

Aye early McGinn sat in front and broke forward. Mcginn has definitely strengthened through time,but he wasn't like that at 21. That ma point.