Bye Bye Arsenal

Did you know? It is 11 years since a club last overturned a first-leg home defeat to win a Champions League knockout tie. In the 1995/96 season, holders Ajax lost their semi-final first leg 1-0 to Greek side Panathinaikos before winning the return 3-0. Since then, 14 teams have tried and failed to repair the damage of defeat in front of their own fans.

Guest LondonScottish

Statistics don't really make a jot of difference on this one. Don't get me wrong, its going to be a tough, tough game against a very well organised defensive side, and its impossible to tell which Arsenal side is going to bother turning up, but I'd be surprised if Arsenal don't get through.

Did you know? It is 11 years since a club last overturned a first-leg home defeat to win a Champions League knockout tie. In the 1995/96 season, holders Ajax lost their semi-final first leg 1-0 to Greek side Panathinaikos before winning the return 3-0. Since then, 14 teams have tried and failed to repair the damage of defeat in front of their own fans.

Statistic is for when you lose the first leg which is at home.

They are TRYING TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE OF DEFEAT IN FRONT OF THEIR OWN FANS tonight

What am I missing?!?

A lot.

It means the damage done at home in front of their own fans and then trying to turn it around in the 2nd leg which is away.

Ajax lost 1-0 at home in 1995 but repaired "the damage of defeat in front of their own fans" in the 2nd leg by winning 3-0 away from home. Plenty of teams have lost a 1st leg away from home and then overturned it in the 2nd leg.

is english your first language miniJC?

SHHHHHHHHHHH, i'm sure you're not the only one that realises my punctuation, grammer and spelling isna the best so why keep bringing it up when i make a post with a few mistakes in it?

And for furture reference keep it to pm's or pm me now.

Archived