Eye surgery

YorkDon

Sick of contact lenses and glasses for reading, and contemplating eye surgery.

Lens replacement is what i’m looking at.They get rid of your old one, and replace it with a new one that won’t wear out.Costs a bomb though.

Anyone on here had it done and have any advice etc? 

I had laser surgery in 2005 in Glasgow. Developed cataracts 5 years ago. Here in Canada once cataracts develop they want you to get them dealt with immediately. In the UK you just about have to be blind before anything is done. I had perfect vision, better than the laser to be honest. Unfortunately, I had to have Vitrectomy surgery in both eyes 2 years ago as the jelly had detached from my retinas so I couldn’t see properly, it was if paint balls had exploded in my eyes. I can see perfectly now though. 

Lens implant surgery has improved massively in recent years. The implants are just so much better and cause less ongoing complications than the ones that were in use when I was a young staff nurse 30 odd years back.

The only issue is that the local anaesthetic injection is sill essentially the same, there's no disguising that for about 10 seconds or so it's at best very uncomfortable and at worst fucking excruciatingly painful until it kicks in. Once your eye is anaesthetized, you'll be fine though, you won't see or feel a thing. The corneal sutures dissolve themselves, you'll be given steroid and antibiotic eyedrops for 7-14 days post-op then you'll be right as rain

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Lens implant surgery has improved massively in recent years. The implants are just so much better and cause less ongoing complications than the ones that were in use when I was a young staff nurse 30 odd years back.

The only issue is that the local anaesthetic injection is sill essentially the same, there's no disguising that for about 10 seconds or so it's at best very uncomfortable and at worst fucking excruciatingly painful until it kicks in. Once your eye is anaesthetized, you'll be fine though, you won't see or feel a thing. The corneal sutures dissolve themselves, you'll be given steroid and antibiotic eyedrops for 7-14 days post-op then you'll be right as rain

I think it’s anaesthetic eye drops now?
A small incision and they liquify the old lens, suck it out, then inject the new one in, and it unfurls like a squeezed sponge.

I have a couple of mates that have said despite the hefty price tag, it’s been worth every penny.

1 hour ago, Crashnyploshnit said:

I had laser surgery in 2005 in Glasgow. Developed cataracts 5 years ago. Here in Canada once cataracts develop they want you to get them dealt with immediately. In the UK you just about have to be blind before anything is done. I had perfect vision, better than the laser to be honest. Unfortunately, I had to have Vitrectomy surgery in both eyes 2 years ago as the jelly had detached from my retinas so I couldn’t see properly, it was if paint balls had exploded in my eyes. I can see perfectly now though. 

Sounds horrific tbf, but at least it’s sorted now.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, YorkDon said:

I think it’s anaesthetic eye drops now?
A small incision and they liquify the old lens, suck it out, then inject the new one in, and it unfurls like a squeezed sponge.

I have a couple of mates that have said despite the hefty price tag, it’s been worth every penny.

Depends on the surgeon. Lots do just go with anaesthetic drops alone but studies show that the full retro-bulbar injection does give better anaesthetic effect during the operation and longer post-op coverage before the inevitable irritation starts to occur.

2 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Like you, wear contacts and glasses but I'm short sighted so can read books nae bother.

Have thought about getting my eyes lazered but always end up being too much of a wimp thinking what if something goes wrong.

I’d go for lens replacement instead as your eyesight can still deteriorate after laser.A new lens doesn’t deteriorate.

A much heftier price tag though…

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Depends on the surgeon. Lots do just go with anaesthetic drops alone but studies show that the full retro-bulbar injection does give better anaesthetic effect during the operation and longer post-op coverage before the inevitable irritation starts to occur.

Aah right.

It’s the post op issues that concern me rather than the op itself.

Nae looking forward to potential pain/itchiness/irritation.