During the war...

dervish

Any good Grandadad stories?

I remember asking mine just after watching Saving Private Ryan what he did on D Day since he was in the Navy was expecting was on SWORD beach or something slitting throats.

"Strawberries & cream"

What Granddad on D Day? If he was on a machine would have turned it off at this point. "He's found the whisky again!"

"Was going up an doon the Thames on a luxury cruiser on a boat fill of WRENS."

A few of his ships were sunk. Which didn't really come up. Knew loads on the Jervis Bay from fishing like quite a few on here that was his background. Not a fan of the "ennggglish" to the point of twice physically assaulting officers (I thought you got shot for that, not so).

So any other/more interesting stories from old family stuff? Since we're all bored?

My granny hated the English, the Europeans and all other races. She tolerated Scandinavians as her side of the family was from Norway.

In her finally days, her proudest moment was when she found out her ancestors had owned slaves in Jamaica. When referring to black nurses where she was, she’d say “my family used to own hers”.

Eh miss my granny.

3 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Never been a military family - a strange brag, I’ve always thought.

being willing to die for your country just smacks of a life that hasn’t been fulfilled imo 

So your grandad, or even great grandads, didn't get called for national service?

Suppose it could always be the case that your granny and great granny never knew who the dads actually were!

54 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I may have mentioned this before but she utterly despised the Japanese after hearing at first hand the stories of how cruel and depraved they had treated and acted towards POWs. 

My Grandad got captured by the japs he never told me about it but my Mum said he got tortured by them in a pow camp.

12 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

So your grandad, or even great grandads, didn't get called for national service?

Suppose it could always be the case that your granny and great granny never knew who the dads actually were!

Don’t know anything about great grandads, wouldn’t even know their names. Grandads would’ve been born in about the 30/40’s min.  

always thought multi generation military families was bizarre - especially the grunts. Well and truly hoodwinked by patriotism 

One Grandad was ground crew in the RAF, local posting so had it lucky. The other landed on Sword beach early on the 7th June, he was a Bombadier with a Light Anti Aircraft division station with the 11th Armoured Division advancing to Belgium and Holland. His regiment was one of the first to liberate Belsen.

• Upvote 2

One Grandfather was in the RAF on bombers, I believe. 

Shot down over North Africa by the Hun, never seen again. 

So that was him. 

Recall an auld lad who used to watch us play fitba, nothing sexual, and he's recant us with stories of the war. Like the one time his unit was supposed to take a village from the Germans, but rather than steam in and get themselves riddled with bullets they heaved artillery shells into the houses for a half an hour.  He recalled seeing bits of Germans in trees and others still alive wandering around helpless.

"They'd have been easy enough to capture, eh, mister?" we said, all wide eyed. 

"Haha" he chortled with a glint in his eye "We didnae capture them".

And that was him.