Richard Jensen

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If he's fit then he should start. 

He's a experienced player so should be able to come in and do a defensive job and that will be the most important part tonight. 

Also on a practical level Swedish and Finnish are very similar languages (I'm half Swedish) so he will know what they are shouting at corners and free kicks etc and can convey it to our players.

3 minutes ago, Cambridge Red said:

Also on a practical level Swedish and Finnish are very similar languages (I'm half Swedish) so he will know what they are shouting at corners and free kicks etc and can convey it to our players.

I used to live in Sweden and had Finnish neighbours. I thought Finnish sounded more like Russian (but I struggled enough with Swedish). I thought half the folk in Finland spoke Swedish anyway.

In mainland Finland, both Finnish and Swedish are taught mandatorily in all primary and secondary schools. Finnish is not remotely like Swedish, it's a Uralic language....it's closest relative in Europe is actually Hungarian.

Anyway the point about Jensen does stand though.....he will understand everything that the Hacken players are saying.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Red-Man-Erg said:

I used to live in Sweden and had Finnish neighbours. I thought Finnish sounded more like Russian (but I struggled enough with Swedish). I thought half the folk in Finland spoke Swedish anyway.

Your totally right, the Finns and Russians have been scrapping/shagging each other since the dawn of time with sharing that long border. I just think he could be very useful in passing on what he is hearing at set plays etc

32 minutes ago, Red-Man-Erg said:

Bit of Trivia... Tolkein based the Elvish (Loved Blue Suede Shoes) language on Finnish for his Lord of the Rings books. 

spacer.png

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Red-Man-Erg said:

My understanding is that Finnish is linguistically similar to Hungarian despite no known historical connection between the peoples.

COYR 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

In mainland Finland, both Finnish and Swedish are taught mandatorily in all primary and secondary schools. Finnish is not remotely like Swedish, it's a Uralic language....it's closest relative in Europe is actually Hungarian.

Anyway the point about Jensen does stand though.....he will understand everything that the Hacken players are saying.

Okay penfold. 

Culturally the Swedish are completely different to the Finns. Finns are much friendlier and welcoming. They are neighbours but totally different.

• Haha 1