arsenal

just thinking about wenger today, would arsenal benifit from new manager? wenger has been there f*cking ages now and they're stuck in a rut. Bring someone new, younger? in to freshen things up a bit, someone with new ideas.

no denying his past domestic success & he can spot a player when he see's one but i reckon hes taken them as far as he can now.

discuss.

my portuguese mate cant believe how lenient uk sides are on underperforming managers. regardless of the size of the club, the reputation of the manager or how long theyve been at the club, if they have 2 successive seasons of NOT winning the league then kiss your job goodbye. he cant believe curbishley got so long at charlton. same for wenger now, a team of that size should be right up there, they arent so he says sack him.

same goes for benitez, hes won the CL and the FA cup but the league is the most important thing coz you need to be consistent to win a league, anyone can get to the final of a cup competition.

my portuguese mate cant believe how lenient uk sides are on underperforming managers. regardless of the size of the club, the reputation of the manager or how long theyve been at the club, if they have 2 successive seasons of NOT winning the league then kiss your job goodbye. he cant believe curbishley got so long at charlton. same for wenger now, a team of that size should be right up there, they arent so he says sack him.

same goes for benitez, hes won the CL and the FA cup but the league is the most important thing coz you need to be consistent to win a league, anyone can get to the final of a cup competition.

Tell that to the Aberdeen management.

tis the age old thing, how long do you give a manager

i mean, i heard Gab Marchotti talking about Curbishley getting the boot from West Ham, and the English guys were up in arms over the idea but 2 wins in 15 games is borderline a sackable offence in my view.

If a manger is given the respources, i think a 6 months to a season is more than ample to prove your worth, but say for a club iwth Aberdeens resources 2-3 seasons to build your side is ample to show if you've got it or not.

As for Wenger, well 10 years is a long time, but they've got a great crop of youngsters comming through, so i doubt he'll walk, and the board would get lynched if they sacked him. Who know Wenger may do a Fergie and build yet another brilliant side.

I would say punt him.

He has lasted to long at the club and i rated him very highly untill about 2 seasons ago were all he seems to do is rest players for matches!!That bugs me so much, players should beable to play 2 games a week no bother.

So when he crashed out of all cups in the past 2 weeks i was glad. Rests far.... far to many players and his tactics are coming undone so easily now!

Is thier training just short one time passes and no set plays whats so ever, they must have a rule were the ball isn't allowed over knee height at training.

Always seem to be far off the pace in the league now a days.

Punt him now!

I would say punt him.

He has lasted to long at the club and i rated him very highly untill about 2 seasons ago were all he seems to do is rest players for matches!!That bugs me so much, players should beable to play 2 games a week no bother.

So when he crashed out of all cups in the past 2 weeks i was glad. Rests far.... far to many players and his tactics are coming undone so easily now!

Is thier training just short one time passes and no set plays whats so ever, they must have a rule were the ball isn't allowed over knee height at training.

Always seem to be far off the pace in the league now a days.

Punt him now!

I was thinking "never" when I saw this topic, but, you know what - your post has made me think Mr Snoyl (!!)

He's a great manager and there's no doubt about that - but maybe it is time Arsenal got a change. There's no denying they play f*cking ace football but it's not winning them anything at the moment.

Arsenal will still qualify for the Champions League. This season constututes a relatively poor one by their standards, but the holy grail for them is the Champions League. They are in transition just now and still have a very inexperienced side. Guys like Tomas Rosicky haven't performed as well as they are capable of and that's a pity cos I was quite excited about him playing in the Premiership. The young players will mature in the next year or two just like the current Man Utd team is doing. Guys like Adebayor, Eboue, Djourou will become key players for them like Toure and Fabregas have become. All the tools are in the box, they just need to learn how to use them properly.

As much as I can't stand the man, they shouldn't sack Wenger. He is a magnificent football manager.

There is no doubting that Wenger is a top class manager but a change could be good for Arsenal, however they need to buy well over the summer as they are still far too dependent on Henry. Fabregas is stepping up to the plate but he is still a youngster and they need others such as Hleb and Rosicky to take a bit more responsibility if they are to close the gap on Man Utd and Chelsea.

Arsenal will still qualify for the Champions League. This season constututes a relatively poor one by their standards, but the holy grail for them is the Champions League. They are in transition just now and still have a very inexperienced side. Guys like Tomas Rosicky haven't performed as well as they are capable of and that's a pity cos I was quite excited about him playing in the Premiership. The young players will mature in the next year or two just like the current Man Utd team is doing. Guys like Adebayor, Eboue, Djourou will become key players for them like Toure and Fabregas have become. All the tools are in the box, they just need to learn how to use them properly.

As much as I can't stand the man, they shouldn't sack Wenger. He is a magnificent football manager.

I agree with all that. I think Arsenal will qualify for the CL simply because they have to. Because of the cost of the new stadium, not qualifying for the CL just isn't an option as they'd be in serious, serious financial problems without it. It would be interesting though if they didn't qualify for it, would the board take it out on Wenger? I have to say i don't think they'd have the guts to do so. He'll be there for many years yet.

Guest LondonScottish

Give the guy a break!! Arsenal were within a whisker of WINNING the Champions League last year. Bergkamp has retired, Henry has been injured/not fully fit all season, Reyes went back to Spain, the present crop of youngsters still aren't fully developed physically, etc, etc..... They are in a transitional period. First signs of not winning anything and the manager must go. Absolute crap.

See i think that kind of attitude to football managers is a waste of time and more importantly money. The key to being succesfull is for a board to take its time and find the right man for the job and not make rushed decisions. Roy aitken and alex miller immediatley spring to mind

So does that mean Fergie should have been punted when Man U went through their recent rebuilding?? I think not and neither should Wenger...never in a million years. They have certainly missed Henry and people probably underestimate how much they've missed Van Persie. Despite injuries, the goons have continued to play oustanding football but have missed not having someone there to stick the numerous chances they create a way.

So does that mean Fergie should have been punted when Man U went through their recent rebuilding?? I think not and neither should Wenger...never in a million years. They have certainly missed Henry and people probably underestimate how much they've missed Van Persie. Despite injuries, the goons have continued to play oustanding football but have missed not having someone there to stick the numerous chances they create a way.

fergie is unpuntable.

As a United fan, i'd love to see Wenger get punted, as the guy is a top-class manager and it would be to Arsenal's detriment if they lost him. Who'd they replace him with? If Wenger went, so would Henry, Fabregas, Van Persie, etc.

*RED EYES OFF*

He's building another team again, anyone can see that, and he's been pretty unlucky with injuries this season. If Van Persie, and a fully fit Henry, were playing against PSV the other night, they would've won easily. Whether or not this team will be as good as previous Arsenal teams, or whether they'll be able to compete with Man U/Chelsea has yet to be seen, but i'm pretty sure they'll be up there competing.

Wenger has obvious flaws, as does every manager, but the good things he does far outweigh the bad.

Fergie has been in the transitional phase at United for the last 2-3 years, and i'd argue that they're still in transition to an extent (that's for a different thread though), but has proven time and again what clubs can gain by sticking with a manager and not taking the easy option of punting and replacing.

*RED EYES ON*

Think he's done a cracking job this season though, ending there season in the first week of March!

As a United fan, i'd love to see Wenger get punted, as the guy is a top-class manager and it would be to Arsenal's detriment if they lost him. Who'd they replace him with? If Wenger went, so would Henry, Fabregas, Van Persie, etc.

*RED EYES OFF*

He's building another team again, anyone can see that, and he's been pretty unlucky with injuries this season. If Van Persie, and a fully fit Henry, were playing against PSV the other night, they would've won easily. Whether or not this team will be as good as previous Arsenal teams, or whether they'll be able to compete with Man U/Chelsea has yet to be seen, but i'm pretty sure they'll be up there competing.

Wenger has obvious flaws, as does every manager, but the good things he does far outweigh the bad.

Fergie has been in the transitional phase at United for the last 2-3 years, and i'd argue that they're still in transition to an extent (that's for a different thread though), but has proven time and again what clubs can gain by sticking with a manager and not taking the easy option of punting and replacing.

*RED EYES ON*

Think he's done a cracking job this season though, ending there season in the first week of March!

Spot on up until 'Red Eyes On' at the end there :-)

With the batch of kids coming through, I have no doubt whatsover that they'll be back up competing with Man U, Chelsea and Barca soon! Oh yeah...it's not that long since this manager who should be punted guided his team to the final of the Champions League!

Yeah good on him for getting to the final of the champs league! Great job, but if you also remember last season they became a wisker away from not being in the champs league, if it hadn't been for that dodgey bug the spurs players picked up on the last day of the season. Think you guy's must have forgotten all about that!

Can anyone tell me the matches they played getting to the final as all i can recall them playing is a poor Real Madrid side.

Cgs, anytime mate i am a man of pure wisdom

Yeah good on him for getting to the final of the champs league! Great job, but if you also remember last season they became a wisker away from not being in the champs league, if it hadn't been for that dodgey bug the spurs players picked up on the last day of the season. Think you guy's must have forgotten all about that!

Can anyone tell me the matches they played getting to the final as all i can recall them playing is a poor Real Madrid side.

Cgs, anytime mate i am a man of pure wisdom

Real Madrid , Juventus and Villareal in the knockout stages before Barca in the final, Hardly easy,

They do have a problem with so many players being African, As they will lose them all for weeks on end during the African cup of nations.

In Spain or Italy he'd have been punted as the most important thing there is to win the league which it always should be. There's no doubting he's a good manager but how long do you give him for his so called young team to start challenging for the title again? I'd say one more season. Another mediocre season where they scrape into the Champions League and win f*ck all simply isn't good enough for a club of Arsenal's size.

Real Madrid , Juventus and Villareal in the knockout stages before Barca in the final, Hardly easy,

I never said it was easy, i just couldn't really think who they got. Cheers.

When he first started to win things at Arsenal they were playing great football AND winning games, but since they dont have a plan B teams like Blackburn and Bolton always cause them big problems. I used to like Arsenal but now cant be bothered with the same sh*te when they come up against phiscal teams.

fergie is unpuntable.

no he's not, certainly under the new regime @ OT, if this season had been a bit of a flop , i'e out of Europe early, out of the league chase, like last season, then this would surely have been his last season at the top.

personally i reckon IF United win the CL this season, and lets face it they're problably the best team left in it, he'll go.

personally i reckon IF United win the CL this season, and lets face it they're problably the best team left in it, he'll go.

You'd think, but he said at the weekend there he's planning to stay for another 2 years and (obviously) touted Queiroz to replace him. Personally I wonder that if a certain ex-Utd striker currently doing well at Blackburn might be in with a shout of that gig...

RE Wenger - I don't believe for a second that they'd get as good a manager in to replace him at this juncture.

punt wenger???

Why the guy has done a fantastic job at Arsenal and the team at present is rebuilding for the future. The thing is they have had less money to spend with the new stadium open but for me as much as i hate wenger i do think the turn-around of Arsenal to a good team to watch and win things is and not be boring as they used to be.

You'd think, but he said at the weekend there he's planning to stay for another 2 years and (obviously) touted Queiroz to replace him. Personally I wonder that if a certain ex-Utd striker currently doing well at Blackburn might be in with a shout of that gig...

RE Wenger - I don't believe for a second that they'd get as good a manager in to replace him at this juncture.

Gary Neville has already been quoted as saying he'd want Sparky as manager should Ferguson chuck it. Obviously it's not down to him, but i'd like to see Hughes back at OT, he was a wonderful player for them and he's a good manager. Benni McCarthy said recently that Hughes is the best coach he's worked under, not bad considering who his manager at Porto was.

Archived