Next Manager

6 hours ago, Peedie1 said:

Well what a house of cards rhe weegie press are building, 

Only yesterday they ran the same article in the daily ranger with the dude complaining he wasn't getting any jobs north of the border and that his cv was better than the previous few managers we took in.

The only link he has with the job is the article that he is quoted in. Maybe trying to do what dwight yorke was trying to do last time there was a vacancy....

Yup I think he needs to check that again. 

Hopefully. Dave has learned the lesson of talk is cheap. There's having the confidence to talk the talk but the gift of the gab ain't a precursor for successfully managing a football team. Goodwin and Robson (they just need to run) and Glass prime examples. Fotheringham is certainly talking the talk but success has been as an assistant with clubs that have a fair bit of money. Don't envy the task of getting it right.

23 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

After reading this article I dont think even if he was willing to return to Scotland Alex Neil would be the type of guy we'd be after.

Alex Neil Stoke failure offers biggest argument for Sunderland to reject outdated manager model - Sports Illustrated Sunderland Nation

He’s applied and will be interviewed this week.

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

Lambert lol

Wild someone like that even gets a interview. It’s worrying. 

8 minutes ago, slippers said:

Wild someone like that even gets a interview. It’s worrying. 

Lambert hasn’t managed for 3 years I think?

He’s failed in his last 3-4 jobs.

Would be a disaster.

To put it in to some context, I’d rather Neil Lennon got it, and I’d rather see Lennon on fire than in the dug out at Pittodrie (unless he was on fire in the dug out of course). 

7 minutes ago, slippers said:

I did read that on here earlier and I'd have him but I don't think he'd fit into the structure we are trying to establish. He's more of a McInnes in charge of everything type manager than a head coach.

I still have 25 quid with McBookie on him to be our next permanent manager. 

8 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

I did read that on here earlier and I'd have him but I don't think he'd fit into the structure we are trying to establish. He's more of a McInnes in charge of everything type manager than a head coach.

I still have 25 quid with McBookie on him to be our next permanent manager. 

So it's a First Team Manager that there are looking for so is that just another word for head coach? If it was in charge of everything it would be a club manager?

I think we will end up with a German, Scandinavian or the likes that have done this role previously, there are people outwith the uk being spoken too,  this would at least start using on the right foot. 

I don't think the likes of Lennon / O'neil etc will not want total control.

Crazy that after some extensive "review" and after having months to compile a shortlist we come up with Neil Lennon, O'Neill, Alex Neil and and Paul Lambert to replace Neil Warnock. Assume Paul Lambert's middle name is Neil as that's the only reason I can think for him to be on the list.

I think they are the type of manager we need - someone with experience and winning mentality who have played and managed at a higher level. However that list could have been compiled by anyone months ago - it's hardly exciting or outside the box. Alex Neil certainly the best option of the 4 and definitely the one who would be least divisive amongst the fans.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Dons21 said:

This exactly. If they can’t hold a job at the diddy clubs they’ve managed, they should be nowhere near AFC.

Cormack just employed Ken Dodd due to the Diddy non win performances.   Even Ken Dodd walked from AFC , he spotted too many Diddy men on the Board and a few in the team. Couldn’t handle them.   

10 hours ago, Rico1903 said:

“Peters moved on to Hamburg and that didn’t end so well. But there was a lot going on behind the scenes there. They had been on a slippery slope for a long time and were flirting with relegation. By the time he went in it was a difficult job.” 

Flirting with Relegation. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Welcome Mr Peters to AFC.  

I'd be ok with Alex Neil or Michael O'Neill tbh

I think some people underestimate how much our star has fallen the last few years in terms of being an attractive proposition for serious Managers 

The above two have good experience and have managed at a decent level 

15 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I'd be ok with Alex Neil or Michael O'Neill tbh

I think some people underestimate how much our star has fallen the last few years in terms of being an attractive proposition for serious Managers 

The above two have good experience and have managed at a decent level 

I remember the groans the McInnes appointment was met with.

He'd been too England and failed, came back and was hungry to succeed. Right club at the right time. That's what we need, not just someone who needs/wants a job.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Dynamo said:

He'd been too England and failed, came back and was hungry to succeed. Right club at the right time. That's what we need, not just someone who needs/wants a job.

And Alex Neil fits the bill.

3 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

Exactly

I was really excited when we appointed Mark McGhee and was relentlessly underwhelmed we appointed McInnes

2 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

There's an element with managerial recruitment where it's not always the ones you'd expect that work out well. I was totally unenamoured by McInnes when he was appointed but it turned out pretty well. 

A brief glance at the league just now and you'd probably not have expected Naismith to have done what he's done so far (although I still think he might balls it up long term), Robinson looked like he could've been a disaster in the early stages of his St Mirren spell and Tony Doc has just about exceeded expectations (although isn't the Messiah pundits seem to think he is). 

That's what makes me think Michael O'Neill might actually do OK. He doesn't seem to fit in with the structure revamp though.

On the other hand, Mark Fotheringham has disaster vibes.

9 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

There's an element with managerial recruitment where it's not always the ones you'd expect that work out well. I was totally unenamoured by McInnes when he was appointed but it turned out pretty well. 

A brief glance at the league just now and you'd probably not have expected Naismith to have done what he's done so far (although I still think he might balls it up long term), Robinson looked like he could've been a disaster in the early stages of his St Mirren spell and Tony Doc has just about exceeded expectations (although isn't the Messiah pundits seem to think he is). 

That's what makes me think Michael O'Neill might actually do OK. He doesn't seem to fit in with the structure revamp though.

On the other hand, Mark Fotheringham has disaster vibes.

Yeah Absolutley. But I don’t want the doom and gloom appointment that may eventually work out. I want the appointment to get as much fans onside as possible straight away. My fear is when they are interviewing people like lambert what happens if he is very good at interviews? Is the interview taken above his credentials? I also don’t understand how some are getting a interview as they don’t fit into the dynamic we want to go in unless the review has changed that. I can live with Neil and O’Neil being spoke to but people like lambert shouldn’t be getting near a interview.  We have also been told that the review has helped us select candidates. Are we to believe this German lad has suggested these names? 

9 minutes ago, slippers said:

Yeah Absolutley. But I don’t want the doom and gloom appointment that may eventually work out. I want the appointment to get as much fans onside as possible straight away. My fear is when they are interviewing people like lambert what happens if he is very good at interviews? Is the interview taken above his credentials? I also don’t understand how some are getting a interview as they don’t fit into the dynamic we want to go in unless the review has changed that. I can live with Neil and O’Neil being spoke to but people like lambert shouldn’t be getting near a interview.  We have also been told that the review has helped us select candidates. Are we to believe this German lad has suggested these names? 

What I want to know is, how are people with the credentials of the losers touted so far, even managing to make it to the interview phase?

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, slippers said:

Yeah Absolutley. But I don’t want the doom and gloom appointment that may eventually work out. I want the appointment to get as much fans onside as possible straight away. My fear is when they are interviewing people like lambert what happens if he is very good at interviews? Is the interview taken above his credentials? I also don’t understand how some are getting an interview as they don’t fit into the dynamic we want to go in unless the review has changed that. I can live with Neil and O’Neil being spoke to but people like lambert shouldn’t be getting near an interview.  We have also been told that the review has helped us select candidates. Are we to believe this German lad has suggested these names? 

It’s fine having Lambert on some kind of shortlist, I can handle that. But the fact they’ve actually looked at his credentials from his last club job 3(?) years ago & thought he’s worthy of an interview is a joke. Lennon too, if Cormack didn’t get on with Warnock it would turn sour pretty quickly with Lennon. That’s without getting into his managerial ability. Out of the names mentioned for interviews so far the only one I could just about get behind is Neil. Surprised he’s applied, unless he’s bored of sitting waiting for an English job to pop up. 
Hoping there’s a couple of foreigners with decent pedigrees being spoken to. Managers who may have worked with this structure before, so we’re not just shoving square pegs in round holes again. 

• Upvote 1

Have I missed something as people seem to know who is getting interviewed? Is this just more guess work or have names been leaked? 

I'd like Alex neil as feel he has a reasonable age to experience ratio but sure it was said previously by some of the "itk" folk that he wasn't interested in returning to Scotland but now he is being interviewed? 

• Upvote 1