Next Manager

5 minutes ago, minijc said:

For me most Scandinavian coaches will be used to the structure we apparently have in place. 

Quite a lot of them have good track records in bringing through youth players as well and a lot are often punching above their weight with a modest budget.

Do you trust our process in identifying one of these "quite a few"? I know I don't. I would also suggest that there is a different mindset in Scandinavia then here in terms of achievement and attitude..

Perhaps you're correct but ultimately I think Neil would be a decent fit for us. 

18 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Craig Levein?

Definitely - safe pair of hands - good tactician - made his mistakes as everyone does - turned St J from a wobbling jelly heading for the drop into your average St J team of kick fuck out of everything that moves. Levein is a master of the dark arts - well you'd expect that from someone who captained and managed and directed the dirtiest team in SPL history according to the stats

11 minutes ago, minijc said:

For me most Scandinavian coaches will be used to the structure we apparently have in place. 

Quite a lot of them have good track records in bringing through youth players as well and a lot are often punching above their weight with a modest budget.

Maybe highly unlikely but Jimmy Thelin would be the pick of the Scandinavians 

And before any numpties say it, Knutsen is completely out our league. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Do you trust our process in identifying one of these "quite a few"? I know I don't. I would also suggest that there is a different mindset in Scandinavia then here in terms of achievement and attitude..

Perhaps you're correct but ultimately I think Neil would be a decent fit for us. 

I don't think so, there's no way a German company like this one tells us to look at some of the names going about, that's us sticking to the tried and (failed) tested route.

I wouldn't be against Alex Neil but I doubt he'd hang around long due to the maniac running the club.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

I think we are trying to be set up around the lines of  FC Midtjylland / FC Nordsjaelland, I think that's Cormack's vision for the club. 

So having people that are used to that set up will help. 

But knowing us we end of with Lambert as Technical director and Lennon as First Team manager 🤣 

I would have Alex Neil as Manager though

I read an article saying Alex Neil wanted full 100%, McInnes style control over recruitment, when at Sunderland. 

Presumably that rules him out if true? 

4 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

I think we are trying to be set up around the lines of  FC Midtjylland / FC Nordsjaelland, I think that's Cormack's vision for the club. 

So having people that are used to that set up will help. 

But knowing us we end of with Lambert as Technical director and Lennon as First Team manager 🤣 

I would have Alex Neil as Manager though

Can't get too excited about him from any angle. Firstly he doesn't want to be here and has declared he wants to be in England. Secondly he was about to get the job when we landed Glass and got a better offer at the 11th hour and abandoned ship. Thirdly he is the slightly less sociable less positive version of Derek Adams.

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

I don't think so, there's no way a German company like this one tells us to look at some of the names going about, that's us sticking to the tried and (failed) tested route.

I wouldn't be against Alex Neil but I doubt he'd hang around long due to the maniac running the club.

He would be off faster than a Neil Warnock turnaround as soon as an offer from England emerged - just like he did previously in our interview of him

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Uninspiring. You must've missed our last qualification campaign, where we were incredibly inspiring, including battering Spain at Hampden in which the 2-0 score line flattered them. 

So much so that one of their star players nearly ended up bubbling on live television, inspiring enough to make sure the worlds best striker is staying at home also.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Russell said:

Henning Berg.

Would have him over Neil Lennon and have been wanting us to look at him for a while - won the league with Omonia, Cypriot Super Cup and took them into the group stages for the first time in the Europa League.

He only joined AIK in July, who he saved from an embarrassing relegation. Doubt he would come here just now.

13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I read an article saying Alex Neil wanted full 100%, McInnes style control over recruitment, when at Sunderland. 

That's the thing whoever comes in won't get that if the rumour about Robson and Goodwin are true, no control over the youth system either which is also going to see some changes in the summer.

I just don't get paying a substantial amount for a review and still interview the same old same old unless the clubs feeding themselves names but looking at others 😳 wishful thinking maybe 

13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

This is what worries me about our club. We are starting to get to hearts mid 2000s levels of being a crackpot place for a manager. I'd rather get someone in who had 100% control and gets to build a team like McInnes did than what we seem to be offering just now.

We'll chew through managers every season the way we're going with this technical director/director of football pish.

13 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

He would be off faster than a Neil Warnock turnaround as soon as an offer from England emerged - just like he did previously in our interview of him

Are you mixing Neil up with Cowley?

30 minutes ago, minijc said:

There lies the problem @minijc.

Whilst Cormack runs the club like he does there will be little, apparent, chance of us employing a half decent manager. 

He either needs to change or sell up.

This managerial merry go round will just continue on an ongoing basis until either happens.

All very depressing IMO. 

• Upvote 1

See when you get names like Lambert, Lennon, Michael O'Neill and Robinson it just makes me want to take a punt on someone who is relatively unknown here.

There's always going to be risk however with those you pretty much known exactly what you are getting and there's no real upside. 

I'd much rather take a punt on someone like Niels Frederiksen if he was interested as he has a track record of developing youth players, although things tend to turn after 18months.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, minijc said:

See when you get names like Lambert, Lennon, Michael O'Neill and Robinson it just makes me want to take a punt on someone who is relatively unknown here.

There's always going to be risk however with those you pretty much known exactly what you are getting and there's no real upside. 

I'd much rather take a punt on someone like Niels Frederiksen if he was interested as he has a track record of developing youth players, although things tend to turn after 18months.

The ebbe successor we've been waiting for

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

There lies the problem @minijc.

Whilst Cormack runs the club like he does there will be little, apparent, chance of us employing a half decent manager. 

He either needs to change or sell up.

This managerial merry go round will just continue on an ongoing basis until either happens.

All very depressing IMO. 

Unless Cormack changes (which l doubt he will) we are likely to be in this situation on a regular basis. No decent manager will come to us if the players recruited and the formation the team adopts is decided/ dictated by a bunch of members of staff who have little knowledge of the game .

19 minutes ago, minijc said:

It would be a massive step forward if we could retain a manager for as long as 18 months.

9 minutes ago, G man said:

Unless Cormack changes (which l doubt he will) we are likely to be in this situation on a regular basis. No decent manager will come to us if the players recruited and the formation the team adopts is decided/ dictated by a bunch of members of staff who have little knowledge of the game .

Stewart Milne had many faults but interfering in team selection, tactics, and buying players wasn't one of them. He was clever enough to leave that to people who knew more about football than him. 

Cormack is far too invested as a fan and as a domineering control freak to take the same kind of back seat, sadly. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, RedRevolution said:

Thought story was  Danny Cowley who accepted job offer whilst being interviewed before we got Glass in April 2021, not Neil who was sacked by Preston in late March 2021 and didn't go to Sunderland until February 2022

2 hours ago, Robin Askwith said:

He's only 42 and been managing in England for nearly 9 years. at both Premiership and Championship level winning 2 playoff finals at Wembley in that time.

I'd have him in a minute, its better stats than McInnes before he was appointed as our manager.

Anyone expecting a much bigger name than Alex Neil needs to take a look at reality.  

Currently Most recently at 19th place Stoke and performing worse than he ever had as a manager averaging 1.2 PPM.

If we can't expect better than that then we might as well shut the doors now.

Fucking hell you lot are grim, pining for Alex Neil....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, 20two20 said:

Currently at 19th place Stoke and performing worse than he ever has as a manager averaging 1.2 PPM.

If we can't expect better than that then we might as well shut the doors now.

Fucking hell you lot are grim, pining for Alex Neil....

I agree, but he got sacked from Stoke months ago