Next Manager

3 hours ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

Any Dons fan still carrying a torch for McInnes should be banned.

It's peak cringe. 

Arguably our best manager since Ferguson.Sacking him only made sense if we found someone better or we let him leave and got compensation rather than having to pay out compensation. Hopefully Thelin is the right guy and is the first manager since Ferguson we don't land up sacking!How much has that cost us?

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2

3 minutes ago, NEM said:

It’s not arguable at all. Smith and Scott won a cup double and lost the league on the last day of the season. 

Smith and Scott were a formidable team and if only Hateley hadn't got away with his Hunnery... 

Many also overlook Miller's first 2 seasons in charge; we pushed a cheating Hun team (who were unbeaten in Europe that year and 90mins away from the CL final) all the way in all 3 competitions, then got another runner-up finish and were a whisker away from knocking Torino (one of the top 3 teams in Italy FFS) out of Europe. If the European format was like today's, we'd have been Champions League regulars and looking at a very different post-millennium history.

Conversely, McInnes did a great job for 5 years, but had no Sevco, then a weakened form, with neither Edinburgh team at the races and both enduring relegations. Once the playing field caught up, we stagnated and eventually went backwards. 

• Upvote 6
1 hour ago, ERNIE said:

Arguably our best manager since Ferguson.Sacking him only made sense if we found someone better or we let him leave and got compensation rather than having to pay out compensation. Hopefully Thelin is the right guy and is the first manager since Ferguson we don't land up sacking!How much has that cost us?

Alex Smith/Jocky Scott> Derek McInnes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Smith and Scott were a formidable team and if only Hateley hadn't got away with his Hunnery... 

Many also overlook Miller's first 2 seasons in charge; we pushed a cheating Hun team (who were unbeaten in Europe that year and 90mins away from the CL final) all the way in all 3 competitions, then got another runner-up finish and were a whisker away from knocking Torino (one of the top 3 teams in Italy FFS) out of Europe. If the European format was like today's, we'd have been Champions League regulars and looking at a very different post-millennium history.

Conversely, McInnes did a great job for 5 years, but had no Sevco, then a weakened form, with neither Edinburgh team at the races and both enduring relegations. Once the playing field caught up, we stagnated and eventually went backwards. 

I definitely don’t, Millers 92-93 side are the best dons team I’ve watched. They’d coast the treble nowadays 

• Upvote 5
50 minutes ago, NEM said:

I definitely don’t, Millers 92-93 side are the best dons team I’ve watched. They’d coast the treble nowadays 

Hasn’t been a feeling of excitement and belief that we were on to something special like there was coming away from the 6-2 drubbing of Hearts.  Just a few days after scudding Partick 7-0.

37 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Shearer, Jess, Booth, Mixu up front

Holy fuck 😍

First season I started going properly.

And take your pick from Bett, Grant, Mason and Richardson in midfield.  

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Good post

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Miller team is the best I’ve seen in the flesh, sticking the fingers up at all the Huns and Tims at school when shearer inevitably headed the ball in at 100 mile an hour. Very very pleasing, thank fuck I wasn’t at school down here now, I wouldn’t have survived.

edit, if you walked in and got a punch to the jaw straight away, you knew you’d done something right.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, ERNIE said:

Yes maybe ..but we still sacked Smith as well...

The fallout from sacking Smith marked the first milestone in our decline from being a club able to win honours to one that was rarely near it. I wanted him sacked at the time because I felt he was so negative. We just wouldn't put the ball in the box and I felt (like many others) that he didnt get the best out of the talent we had available. I can still  hear his voice "There's no easy game in this league." Our failure to beat the Hun at Ibrox last game of the season to win the league also left a lot of bitterness. (I watched that game recently and was amazed at the tackling that went on - if you watch it again you feel the Hun could have had several yellow or red cards in the first twenty minutes.)

Of course that Hun title win also coincided with them upping the ante and attracting the best players in British football by paying more than any team in England. And yet we were still only a fraction away from winning something. 

Anyway - the demise of the club following the Smith debacle has always made me wary of sacking managers because you're basically setting yourself back a couple of years every time you do it. The new guy always wants to rebuild and it usually means losing half your squad. Jim McLean, in one of the few angry interviews associated with Ivan Gollak's time at Tannadice made a great point about this. He said sacking a manager is largely counter productive because you have to built a whole new team. So you should only do it if you've got a McGhee or Goodwin situation and it's a last resort under this theory. 

If we had stuck with Glass and backed him in the next window I suspect we would be in a much better position now.

23 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

Of course that Hun title win also coincided with them upping the ante and attracting the best players in British football by paying more than any team in England. And yet we were still only a fraction away from winning something. 

This is the point where a bunch of drunken scousers in Belgium have a huge impact on Scottish football.

The Heysel disaster in 85 had resulted in English teams being kicked out of Europe indefinitely (which turned out to be for five years).  It was during that time the likes of Terry Butcher and other English players joined the huns.  I don't think they would have if they'd been able to play in Europe for their English teams, not so much to do with what the filth were paying.

If Heysel hadn't happened, Souness would have found it much harder to persuade these cunts North of the border. 

27 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

If we had stuck with Glass and backed him in the next window I suspect we would be in a much better position now.

Make it stop.

He had us concede every game.

We were low scorers.

He had nothing about him that gave the aura of a football manager, just like Maloney and Cathro. A fanny.

He signed a team of total shite, cluelessly overestimating some of their levels, which required nearly an entire new team that summer regardless. 

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

93-94 was the last time the league was really there for the taking. Huns were absolute mince in the first half of the season. Transition season for them. Unfortunately we never really built up a decent head of steam despite topping the table on a few occasions. Think we drew over half our games their season and only lost 6 of 44? Hun cunts always seemed to pull out a result when they needed one. 

5 hours ago, Zeus said:

Shearer, Jess, Booth, Mixu up front

Holy fuck 😍

First season I started going properly.

One of my favourite ever games was the 6-2 demolition of hearts. Sure we also put 7 past some other mob, away from home the week before too.

hope that was Gods reign.