Next Manager

2 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

You see this is where I differ from most on that 90-91 season.

For me it was that pissing wet day in October  1990 down in Perth that cost us the league  that year 

But it wasn’t in our hands that day. The last day with rangers on a terrible run, loads of injuries, we bottled it.

I was at the decider in Ibrox. I would have been 15, nearly 16. I haven't watched it back until now, didn't realise it was on Youtube. I couldn't watch the whole thing. Saw the Van de Ven and Gillhaus chances and then couldn't watch the rest. Still painful. 

10 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Could've been a great. Ahead of time with mental health it's probably fair to say.

To be fair he hadn’t played much of the run in? My memory is he wasn’t expected to play that day anyway?

6 hours ago, Russell said:

Having to play Michael fucking Watt went a long way to deciding the title. Will always have a special hatred for Scotland's media darling McCoist.

Snelders missed the decider because of a shoulder injury picked up against Hibs.

He played in the 2-2 against the Huns at Ibrox after McCoist had smashed his face in. Someone’s fishing.

4 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Snelders missed the decider because of a shoulder injury picked up against Hibs.

He played in the 2-2 against the Huns at Ibrox after McCoist had smashed his face in. Someone’s fishing.

Some rain that day 

30 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Played right up until the 4-2 win at Easter Road that Milne said.

....where he got a season ending shoulder injury if memory serves me correct?

*edit scrap that just read Milnes post

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I was at the decider in Ibrox. I would have been 15, nearly 16. I haven't watched it back until now, didn't realise it was on Youtube. I couldn't watch the whole thing. Saw the Van de Ven and Gillhaus chances and then couldn't watch the rest. Still painful. 

Does Youtube show Hately going through Watt in an aerial challenge in the first 5 minutes?  Funny that.

That's my memory of that game. After week before we only needed a draw and Smith changed to a back 5 and we were set for a draw rather than going for a win. Then Hateley just wiped out Watt first chance he got and referee let it go. Hateley then bossed the young goalie from then on in . even BBC were saying it was unusual ref letting challenges on keeper go.

1 hour ago, davierobb said:

That's my memory of that game. After week before we only needed a draw and Smith changed to a back 5 and we were set for a draw rather than going for a win. Then Hateley just wiped out Watt first chance he got and referee let it go. Hateley then bossed the young goalie from then on in . even BBC were saying it was unusual ref letting challenges on keeper go.

Nothing unusual about Masonic refereeing, as we all know. Especially when it's at Ibrox AND the hegemony of the Weegie duopoly is threatened. That shows you just how good our 70's and 80's teams were, to overcome that. 

• Dildo 1
27 minutes ago, Dunty said:

Was Watt responsible for either of the goals conceded? Would Snelders have saved them?

Second one definitely ….spilled a fairly tame shot and left Hately with a tap-in.  Just about any competent keeper should have saved it.  

Fuck all he could do about the first.

2 hours ago, davierobb said:

Don’t think we went 5 at the back……. Back 4 was McLeish and McKimmie central defence with Robertson and Wright full backs.

Huns were allowed to kick us off the park……Hurlock and Brown in particular got away with murder.  Jess got nobbled and had to be subbed at half time….I’m pretty sure it was Hurlock that nailed him. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, redone said:

Don’t think we went 5 at the back……. Back 4 was McLeish and McKimmie central defence with Robertson and Wright full backs.

Huns were allowed to kick us off the park……Hurlock and Brown in particular for away with murder.  Jess got nobbled and had to be subbed at half time….I’m pretty sure it was Hurlock that nailed him. 

Correct, and McLeish was struggling with an ankle injury all week, which probably stopped him getting in ahead of Stench to the heeder that opened the scoring.

Can blame Smithy as much as you like but I don’t think we were ever winning that game; the establishment decided rangers were winning that game come what May.

6 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Ha, nae fishing, just my recollection as I was in Primary 5 at the time

Van de ven came in, I forget who for (but feeling was very much midfielder for an attacker).  Typically both chances would fall to him.

and the late goal against Motherwell(?) the week before meant, fatally as it turned out, we only needed the draw.

But crucially this was the origins of the phraseology about not deserving to win in Glasgow, right good team etc etc creeping back in.  Not immediately, not as blatantly as it is now.  But it was there.  For the first time in a decade.  Eventually did for him and in some ways contributed to the clamour for Miller, to stop the rot.