Ross County 1 - 2 Aberdeen (league cup)

2 hours ago, Harry's Double Shuffle said:

fair dos, i have no recollection of that game at all, i guess was tramping around europe pre internet

Was the same season we won the League Cup so were going for a cup double.

Won both games at Tynecastle that season but couldn't beat them at home.

Hearts scored in the 80th minute, Duncan Shearer equalised 87th minute to seemingly take it to a replay - which it was back then - only for Hearts to bundle in a 90th minute winner.

Hearts went on to get diddled 5-1 in the final by Rangers.

2 hours ago, G man said:

I hope so but suspect Police and TV will want the other game on the Saturday.

What would realistically suit us in terms of bringing a big crowd? 5:30pm on a Saturday or 3pm on a Sunday?

We had a Sunday kick-off last season v Rangers which makes me think we'll get that again.

2 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Not long in. Cunt of a drive. Why would you take Mio off with 3 minutes to go and put Wish Balotelli on when the game was on a knife edge and extra time a definite possibility? Madness. 

Game changed when Barron went off and replaced by Clarkson. Hopefully Barron starts against the scum. There’s no way Clarkson and Barron can play together either imo

Leighton can't complain, granted we've not generally been playing to his strengths but even so he's been poor since the start of the season. 

27 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

At least one of them looked a stonewaller... but no VAR, so Beaton perfectly happy to ignore calls for a penalty. 

Got two chances to fuck us over and took them both. 

As predicted. 

I'm guessing the one on Shinnie is the stonewaller? 

Admittedly, the one on Sokkler is a bit trickier to tell. It appears he begins pulling his shoulder outside the box initially. Having watched it a few times now, I think it is potentially a free kick on the edge of the box. He is definitely being obstructed from making his play in the county penalty area. You can tell from the County players reaction, they are expecting something to be given against them here. 

Great result. Actually expected which is a nice feeling for a change.

Happy for Sokler who I've been backing for a while now.

Seems Barron is playing well.

Cracking goals!!

Not sure how tf VAR is so expensive.

Guy with camera..replays it slowly, zooms in ...makes a decision.

I could do that with my fucking phone for free🤣

3 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Not long in. Cunt of a drive. Why would you take Mio off with 3 minutes to go and put Wish Balotelli on when the game was on a knife edge and extra time a definite possibility? Madness. 

Game changed when Barron went off and replaced by Clarkson. Hopefully Barron starts against the scum. There’s no way Clarkson and Barron can play together either imo

Well that didn't happen. Barron played 90 minutes. Clarkson replaced Hayes. For a while we had a middle 3 of Clarkson, Shinne and Barron, and my immediate concern was a serious lack of height. Agree though, I thought the game changed when Clarkson came on.

44 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

Are we oiling up the Clarkson is pish bandwagon?

Wee English prick that he is. 

We all need to get used to a bit of competition for starting places- not quite got it across the park yet but we’re getting closer.

Should really help us when we can drop an out of form player to the bench and bring in someone else for a few games.

And part of that is realising even good players have periods of bad form - doesn’t make good players shit overnight.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Wouldn't have thought so. Still a very good player. But its on him to get his starting slot back in what could be considered Aberdeens strongest XI. Midfield seems more balanced with Shinnie, Barron and McGrath in it. He'll get opportunities though.

For me it should be Clarkson / McGrath competing for that role - we actually need another player in the Shinnie, Barron mold.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Absolutely. Couldn't believe he took Miovski off at that point.

Said post match he was confident throughout. Fair play as the last 5 mins + stoppage time was backs to the wall.

11 hours ago, TerryMcDermott said:

Beating Hearts in a final May actually be more joyous at this point than beating the filth. 

Final is in December min. 

:trophy:

3 hours ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

Well that didn't happen. Barron played 90 minutes. Clarkson replaced Hayes. For a while we had a middle 3 of Clarkson, Shinne and Barron, and my immediate concern was a serious lack of height. Agree though, I thought the game changed when Clarkson came on.

Game changed when he came on in that we went 2-0 up?

Absolute game changer was the Rubi intervention. Cruising up to that point.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Wouldn't have thought so. Still a very good player. But its on him to get his starting slot back in what could be considered Aberdeens strongest XI. Midfield seems more balanced with Shinnie, Barron and McGrath in it. He'll get opportunities though.

I think Shinnie and Barron sitting deeper together works well as both of them can win the ball, and Barron can use it almost as well as Clarkson. McGrath has been better than I expected, but I'd probably have Clarkson in ahead of him in a more advanced midfield role. McGrath maybe on better form just now, but Clarkson a better player on his day. Only issue is it gives us a very small in stature midfield, although Barron does seem to get up well for headers despite his size. Polvara still a good option for some games too.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, caledonia said:

What’s the story with Clarkson injury or just not picked.

I know he has been on the bench last few games but thought he was carrying a knock.

Had a knock vs Hibs I think, assume that cause the team played well vs Frankfurt and then County at home he isn't getting into the team

As other's have said would like to see Clarkson in for McGrath, he's our most creative player by far and gives us the best chance for getting good through balls to guys like Duk/Miovski

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Great result. Actually expected which is a nice feeling for a change.

Happy for Sokler who I've been backing for a while now.

Seems Barron is playing well.

Cracking goals!!

Not sure how tf VAR is so expensive.

Guy with camera..replays it slowly, zooms in ...makes a decision.

I could do that with my fucking phone for free🤣

There is a serious point there.  We all contributed last night to have VAR at a game that the live tele was at anyway.

(And then appeared slightly selective in its use but I don’t want that to dilute the initial point)