Is Derek McInnes a better manager now than he was with the Dons ?

Here to throw the cat amongst the pigeons but that's 2 wins against Celtic for Kilmarnock in the space of a few months. I think he beat the Zombies as well.

Would a management team of McInnes and Robson be such a bad thing ?

Or is it a tired would never happen scenario given the former's history with Cormack ?

Is he a better manager now ? I'd have thought I would never have wanted him back but now ? I'm not averse to it.

Have at it. 

• Downvote 1

McInnes is a very good manager when he has no restrictions imposed on him in terms of recruitment and all that goes with football management. DOFs and shit etc

We decided to go down a different route in terms of European recruitment and trying to promote a higher level of players through the youth academy.

Well done to him, chuffed for him.

But a return here? Nah. Like the ex wife, forget her

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, dj_bollocks said:

Here to throw the cat amongst the pigeons but that's 2 wins against Celtic for Kilmarnock in the space of a few months. I think he beat the Zombies as well.

Would a management team of McInnes and Robson be such a bad thing ?

Or is it a tired would never happen scenario given the former's history with Cormack ?

Is he a better manager now ? I'd have thought I would never have wanted him back but now ? I'm not averse to it.

Have at it. 

He did beat the zombies.IMG-7318.png

2 things to consider, he was absolutely shite the last 2 years he was with us as his relationship with cormack soured, secondly cormack would never allow him back and McInnes would never work under him again so it’s a moot point really.That’s the third win (twice in the league and put Celtic out the cup) against the 2 from Glasgow. I would say he is just as good not a bit better with the budget and players he has, he will never be as good as Clarke though for them or as a manager.

Just now, Dons79 said:

2 things to consider, he was absolutely shite the last 2 years he was with us as his relationship with cormack soured, secondly cormack would never allow him back and McInnes would never work under him again so it’s a moot point really.That’s the third win (twice in the league and put Celtic out the cup) against the 2 from Glasgow. I would say he is just as good not a bit better with the budget and players he has, he will never be as good as Clarke though for them or as a manager.

Never say never. 

I don't believe Cormack would be so naive as to not consider it. Do I want it ? No. Could I see it happen ? Anything is possible. If the FMB's person specification is essentially, "Who's cheap (in terms of compensation) ? Who's in Scotland ? Who can beat the arsecheeks ?" There's only really one person that fits the bill. 

He's a safe pair of hands given the rollercoaster ride of the past 3 seasons. 

That Killie side absolutely dominated Celtic there... I would absolutely not want him to be involved in any form of recruitment and make him commit to promoting youth but we could do a lot worse especially if our managerial recruitment is as poor as it has been.

Still think he'd fuck up Europe mind.

I don't think he's changed much at all, let's be honest, this is one of the worst Celtic sides for many, many years. They have been scraping results with a string of late goals but they are incomparable to recent sides. It makes our limp-wristed effort the other week even worse as they are there to be got at. Looking at their bench too, they are pretty keich. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

Never say never. 

I don't believe Cormack would be so naive as to not consider it. Do I want it ? No. Could I see it happen ? Anything is possible. If the FMB's person specification is essentially, "Who's cheap (in terms of compensation) ? Who's in Scotland ? Who can beat the arsecheeks ?" There's only really one person that fits the bill. 

He's a safe pair of hands given the rollercoaster ride of the past 3 seasons. 

That Killie side absolutely dominated Celtic there... I would absolutely not want him to be involved in any form of recruitment and make him commit to promoting youth but we could do a lot worse especially if our managerial recruitment is as poor as it has been.

Still think he'd fuck up Europe mind.

I get your sentiment, in Scotland managing, your probably correct, but there are many managers out there, many that could turn both over, many that couldn’t give two fucks about the duopoly in Scotland, we need to find that person, the board really needs to back that person, we need an arrogant, confident, unperplexed by the blatant corruption in the SPL and willing to countenance it with superb displays of managerial nous that negates any corruptive drag factor, we need a winner. We need ferguson 2.0

the same nasty, belligerent, couldn’t give a fuck attitude, genius, hardy bastard.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

I get your sentiment, in Scotland managing, your probably correct, but there are many managers out there, many that could turn both over, many that couldn’t give two fucks about the duopoly in Scotland, we need to find that person, the board really needs to back that person, we need an arrogant, confident, unperplexed by the blatant corruption in the SPL and willing to countenance it with superb displays of managerial nous that negates any corruptive drag factor, we need a winner. We need ferguson 2.0

the same nasty, belligerent, couldn’t give a fuck attitude, genius, hardy bastard.

Sigh

11 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

I can’t see it ever happening for the reasons pointed out above.

Does anyone really think he’d come back if offered it anyway? 

At Kilmarnock he doesn’t have the pressure or expectation that he had whilst at the Famous.

The Celtic team we faced between 2016 and 2019 was far better than this one which is caught between two styles at the moment. Rodgers' style with a lot of Ange's players. 

Our peak McInnes 2015 to 2017 team would have caused this Celtic team lots of problems and would have got their fair share of results. 

The real issue is that we need to change our current approach against this Celtic team as they have vulnerabilities if you are aggressive and press then high up the pitch. 

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

As I've said up above but others have focussed more on the having him back the question is whether he's a better manager or not.

I think the nearly 40 years without him have proven that there's no such thing as a Ferguson 2.0 and if such a thing did exist they're not going to want to come to the North East of Scotland. With your person spec, I don't think the Chairman could handle that type of person either.

I'd love to see us courting some Managers or Asst Managers with European pedigree but I'm resigned to the fact that the likes of Cormack, Milne, Gunn, Garner simply don't have those persuasive powers or vision to do so.

6 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

As I've said up above but others have focussed more on the having him back the question is whether he's a better manager or not.

I think the nearly 40 years without him have proven that there's no such thing as a Ferguson 2.0 and if such a thing did exist they're not going to want to come to the North East of Scotland. With your person spec, I don't think the Chairman could handle that type of person either.

I'd love to see us courting some Managers or Asst Managers with European pedigree but I'm resigned to the fact that the likes of Cormack, Milne, Gunn, Garner simply don't have those persuasive powers or vision to do so.

Yep, agreed, all tournaments in Scotland are fucked anyway, what’s the point?, as you say the board will not approach a quality manager abroad, so, nothing will change, apathy and acceptance of winning nothing has permeated through all fans outwith the Glasgow 2, Var only adds to the incompetence and blatant favoritism and bias, it’s been how long since a league title? Itl be that again minimum, even the Serbian league has more winners of the league title. Games done.

ps, yes McInnes seems better this year, but mind he still nearly got relegated last year ending up 11th.

3 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

You've focussed (erroneously) on the opinion rather than the question there champ...

To answer your question I think it's hard to really quantify whether a manager is better or not but I think he is probably a more rounded manager having had to face different challenges and circumstances at Kilmarnock than he had at Aberdeen.

It's also possible that a change of scene has given him added enthusiasm and/or motivation after things started to feel stale in his latter days at Aberdeen. 

At the end of the day he's always been a pretty consistent and reliable manager in this league and he's continued that at Kilmarnock. 

• Like 1

To answer the original question …don’t know if he’s better now , but he may well be simply by having gained more experience.

However , every version of him during his time with us was far better than Glass, Goodwin or Robson.  

Cormack , encouraged by a number of empty vessels in our fanbase (many of whom rarely , if ever set foot in Pittodrie) rolled the dice …. and lost.  His biggest mistake.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

To answer your question I think it's hard to really quantify whether a manager is better or not but I think he is probably a more rounded manager having had to face different challenges and circumstances at Kilmarnock than he had at Aberdeen.

It's also possible that a change of scene has given him added enthusiasm and/or motivation after things started to feel stale in his latter days at Aberdeen. 

At the end of the day he's always been a pretty consistent and reliable manager in this league and he's continued that at Kilmarnock. 

A fair and reasoned response.

I find myself reflecting on mine (and of course many others) desire to remove him in 2021 and the refrain from the HC's saying "Who could do better than Derek McInnes ?". As already stated, his time back then was long since up because he wasn't able to adapt to change and his hopeless recruitment. We all believe that great managers "could" come and revitalise and reinvigorate AFC's fortunes and there's no doubt there are better managers than McInnes, Robson and even Brendan Rodgers. The question is really now, who's the best that the FMB (now with added Burrows) could recruit ? I'm not sure they're able to...

15 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

A fair and reasoned response.

I find myself reflecting on mine (and of course many others) desire to remove him in 2021 and the refrain from the HC's saying "Who could do better than Derek McInnes ?". As already stated, his time back then was long since up because he wasn't able to adapt to change and his hopeless recruitment. We all believe that great managers "could" come and revitalise and reinvigorate AFC's fortunes and there's no doubt there are better managers than McInnes, Robson and even Brendan Rodgers. The question is really now, who's the best that the FMB (now with added Burrows) could recruit ? I'm not sure they're able to...

If you're Kilmarnock you'd be delighted. 

Promotion followed by a cup semi final and survival last season. 

Top half with some big scalps already this season. 

Where  do I start,?

He is at a club now where  expectations are far lower than ours. In  his years with us recruitment was based mainly on whoever was recovering from a serious injury, or players that he has worked with before, hardly inspiring for a supporter,  he had an opportunity to really go for the title the year Diela was at Celtic, he chose not too.

He  also chose to shit the bed, in any meaningful game against them,

at Killie he has a free hit against Celtic , rangers and Aberdeen.

His time with us finished on a sour note, that is down to his ego not believing he could overstay his welcome, and him being comfortable with a massive salary that was increased regularly by his arse licking of the chairman, who could see no wrong in hun DMC.

He is now at Killie, at a club that is happy to have him in control of recruitment and probably a big say  at all levels,

look , he chickened out of moving to the huns, as he didn't think he was good enough, 

He has found his level now that we have had a top league where Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United,and Sevco have been present in the last few years, his style and choice of players are good enough to stay in the top division and maybe squeezes top 6 place, 

If he had left us 18 months before he did I would have had a far more favourable view of him and his tenure.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1