Is Derek McInnes a better manager now than he was with the Dons ?

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

No. He’s still same blatantly average (even at this level) SPFL manager. 
He has a plastic pitch advantage & that is where ALL his big results have been achieved. Still completely rotten on grass/even playing field. Ffs he only just beat our team of shite for his first away win 🤣

McInnes achieved a level of consistency in the league over multiple years that is evidently quite hard to achieve given that no other team outside the top 2 have ever achieved a comparable level of consistent performance in recent history.

Yes, Rangers liquidation, Hearts and Hibs were relegated etc. etc. If anything, the latter two only highlight how little football advantage is conferred by the small financial advantage enjoyed by us and the two Edinburgh clubs over the rest. 

Failing to win the Scottish Cup at a time when we were the 2nd best team in the country (and considering the other teams that won it on the same period), plus failing to push Celtic to the wire in 14/15 and squandering our strong start in 15/16 means his reign as manager will always be seen as a time of missed opportunity.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, BrisDon said:

McInnes achieved a level of consistency in the league over multiple years that is evidently quite hard to achieve given that no other team outside the top 2 have ever achieved a comparable level of consistent performance in recent history.

Yes, Rangers liquidation, Hearts and Hibs were relegated etc. etc. If anything, the latter two only highlight how little football advantage is conferred by the small financial advantage enjoyed by us and the two Edinburgh clubs over the rest. 

Failing to win the Scottish Cup at a time when we were the 2nd best team in the country (and considering the other teams that won it on the same period), plus failing to push Celtic to the wire in 14/15 and squandering our strong start in 15/16 means his reign as manager will always be seen as a time of missed opportunity.

Yeah & a better than average manager would have achieved so much more for us in that advantageous 8 year period 

Or do you disagree? 🤔

We wouldn’t have held onto a ‘better than average’ manager for as long though 🤷

As others have said. Fact Killie were his very next club (& he’s still there) tells you all we need to know.

Clubs like Hearts & Hibs would go for him, I would agree but not because he’s great but because he’s a proven ‘safe’ option.

Strange they never went for him when he was available though 🤔

These threads always remind us how tiresome the end of his time was. Not the football, but the endlessly repeated shite about his record. 

And still there's folk actually complaining about not actually winning the league after what we've seen in the last 2 and a half seasons. They're always quick to mention Delia but never mention how good Celtic were for half his time here that killed our chances of another trophy. There's no hope for our spastic support.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, huncunts said:

These threads always remind us how tiresome the end of his time was. Not the football, but the endlessly repeated shite about his record. 

And still there's folk actually complaining about not actually winning the league after what we've seen in the last 2 and a half seasons. They're always quick to mention Delia but never mention how good Celtic were for half his time here that killed our chances of another trophy. There's no hope for our spastic support.

🤣 your delusions are just as spasticular at other end of scale, you just state them with an oblivious arrogance & ignorance of opinions differing from your own. Very hun/Tim fan like even

5 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

🤣 your delusions are just as spasticular at other end of scale, you just state them with an oblivious arrogance & ignorance of opinions differing from your own. Very hun/Tim fan like even

There's multiple cunts on this thread saying he's a big game bottle merchant who shat it every time against Celtic when he won a game at Parkhead to finish 2nd. That's a sentence that you probably won't be able to repeat for any Aberdeen manager for the next 50 years. We actually drew the next game there too.

9 minutes ago, huncunts said:

There's multiple cunts on this thread saying he's a big game bottle merchant who shat it every time against Celtic when he won a game at Parkhead to finish 2nd. That's a sentence that you probably won't be able to repeat for any Aberdeen manager for the next 50 years. We actually drew the next game there too.

We all know fine well the tims completely lay down for that just to get it up their other arse cheek.

That was the biggest nothing game from them I have ever witnessed, all they did was make sure it was a dull game & we didn’t win by more than one goal 🤣

9 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

🤣

Why then do so many managers & players hate them so much 🤔

Yes I have played on them (who hasn’t 🙄) & I much preferred grass.

Even watching games on plastics is fkn shite 99/100 times. Especially in shite weather. Plastic pitches would only be good for a ‘jolly’ tournament (indoors) like if they brought back a ‘Tennents soccer sixes’ or something. 🤣

Both teams are playing on the same pitch. You can’t tell me just because it’s a plastic pitch matty Kennedy is going to turn into Ryan giggs

8 hours ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Don't care if he's better or not. Did well for us in league finishing positions but maybe not so great in the cups. Either way he's not with us and isn't coming back any time soon so I don't give a toss about him.

McInnes’ cup record is the one thing that baffles me. Over his tenure at Aberdeen, McInnes’ team were by far the best of the rest, yet somehow the teams that we were mainly beating in the league year on year, always seemed to get the better of us in the cup. I recall reading somewhere that the only time that the Tims beat us in the cups was during Rodgers’ treble winning season where we lost in both finals - I can’t be arsed confirming that, but if correct it makes things even more galling considering that we only need to win 4 or 5 games to win the cups

19 minutes ago, Itsagoal said:

McInnes’ cup record is the one thing that baffles me. Over his tenure at Aberdeen, McInnes’ team were by far the best of the rest, yet somehow the teams that we were mainly beating in the league year on year, always seemed to get the better of us in the cup. I recall reading somewhere that the only time that the Tims beat us in the cups was during Rodgers’ treble winning season where we lost in both finals - I can’t be arsed confirming that, but if correct it makes things even more galling considering that we only need to win 4 or 5 games to win the cups

They beat us in both finals 16/17, in the league cup final and scottish cup semi in 18/19 and the Scottish cup semi 19/20.

2 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

We knocked them out of the Scottish cup at Celtic park in Feb 2014 then blew it in the semi final against St Johnstone. Probably our best chance of the Scottish cup was that year. 

3 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

we got beat by st Johnstone when they won the Scottish cup. 

beat by Dundee when fucking Inverness won it. 

beat by hearts, who had just been promoted and we were far better than around then, when hibs won it. In fact championship hibs went to Tynecastle in the next round. 

pretty terrible really 

13 hours ago, huncunts said:

Celtic finished on fucking 92 points in 14/15. We finished 75 and downed tools a bit once the title run was over and 2nd was confirmed with about 5 left to play. a few more points might have been enough to win the league in other seasons. 

the following season was when we won about 8 games in a row but then suddenly lost about 5. Humped 5-1 at home to st j. I believe this is where the India rumours commenced!

4 hours ago, Arthur FN Shelby said:

Think McInnes will be the next Scotland manager. Steve Clarke might step down after the Euros as often happens after tournaments with managers.

Clarke will surely want a shot at World Cup qualification? McInnes in after that, probably, which gives him time for a shot a semi decent English championship side before hand.

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Celtic finished on fucking 92 points in 14/15. We finished 75 and downed tools a bit once the title run was over and 2nd was confirmed with about 5 left to play. a few more points might have been enough to win the league in other seasons. 

the following season was when we won about 8 games in a row but then suddenly lost about 5. Humped 5-1 at home to st j. I believe this is where the India rumours commenced!

Aye blame Martin Boyle for those rumours. Pretty sure it was him that put that out there. I can't remember the ins and outs but there was a WhatsApp group of sorts and he commenced said rumour.

Kilmarnock Rogic last minute killed us and our momentum.

We played later and fucked it.

13 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

We all know fine well the tims completely lay down for that just to get it up their other arse cheek.

That was the biggest nothing game from them I have ever witnessed, all they did was make sure it was a dull game & we didn’t win by more than one goal 🤣

Cool story mate but you know they filmed the game and you can actually see their chances and everything?

https://youtu.be/A7SJKIdnPUQ

My favourite is Griffiths perfectly heading it into the bottom corner but knowing Lewis would unwittingly save it with his foot in the last minute. 

• Upvote 2

The correct answer is that McInnes is just as good with Killie as he was with us. Or just as bad, if you're one of these idiots with an irrational hatred of him. 

Last Wednesday was peak McInnes....he sent out a Killie side that was organised, hard-working, and which completely nullified an Aberdeen side that is sooooooo fucking easy to play against (unless you're Hearts or Rangers).

We saw him do that dozens of times when he managed us.

Killie will almost certainly finish higher than most were expecting, and that'll be almost entirely due to McInnes's ability to get teams to dig out wins without being pretty or particularly entertaining. 

As pointed out above, McInnes did probably everything he could at Pittodrie, except win more cups. The years where shite the the fermers, Hibs, and ICT won the Scottish were massive opportunities missed. 

He's still a much better manager than Glass, Goodwin or Robson though.

• Upvote 2