Is Derek McInnes a better manager now than he was with the Dons ?

3 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Celtic finished on fucking 92 points in 14/15. We finished 75 and downed tools a bit once the title run was over and 2nd was confirmed with about 5 left to play. a few more points might have been enough to win the league in other seasons. 

the following season was when we won about 8 games in a row but then suddenly lost about 5. Humped 5-1 at home to st j. I believe this is where the India rumours commenced!

Aye was there not all of a sudden bookies making him odds on to be sacked or leave, and strangely the club held a press conference to say the rumours were rubbish, what other clubs would hold a press conference to deny a book makers market, all very strange

Let’s not over-glorify Derek’s achievements since leaving us. He’s a steady manager, a good man manager by all accounts. The fact so many ex-Dons have followed him to Killie bear that out. He has his way of doing things and hasn’t strayed from it, which is why he’s unlikely to manage at a higher level then ourselves. I certainly won’t disparage his time at the Dons but equally he’d run his course with us and wasn’t going to buy into Cormack’s innovations. Ultimately its trophies that count and despite several attempts, he only gained us one pot. One we were favourites to win. Robson would eclipse his effort by beating the huns, a far harder task in my eyes.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
15 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Let’s not over-glorify Derek’s achievements since leaving us. He’s a steady manager, a good man manager by all accounts. The fact so many ex-Dons have followed him to Killie bear that out. He has his way of doing things and hasn’t strayed from it, which is why he’s unlikely to manage at a higher level then ourselves. I certainly won’t disparage his time at the Dons but equally he’d run his course with us and wasn’t going to buy into Cormack’s innovations. Ultimately its trophies that count and despite several attempts, he only gained us one pot. One we were favourites to win. Robson would eclipse his effort by beating the huns, a far harder task in my eyes.

Think some of the criticism of McInnes' cup record is a bit OTT. We had 17 attempts at cups under him. We won 1, were beaten in 5 by Celtic (including 3 finals) who never lost a cup final to anyone over this period, twice by Hearts, twice by Hibs. Every cup defeat was by a Premier League team. Yes some hurt more than orhers (St Johnstone at Ibrox, the 2 semis against Motherwell in the same season). We only lost 1 cup game at Pittodrie in those 8 years (St Mirren on penalties). We were incredibly unlucky with draws in general. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, thedandydon said:

He's a sure bet for Scotland manager after Steve Clarke 

2 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Think some of the criticism of McInnes' cup record is a bit OTT. We had 17 attempts at cups under him. We won 1, were beaten in 5 by Celtic (including 3 finals) who never lost a cup final to anyone over this period, twice by Hearts, twice by Hibs. Every cup defeat was by a Premier League team. Yes some hurt more than orhers (St Johnstone at Ibrox, the 2 semis against Motherwell in the same season). We only lost 1 cup game at Pittodrie in those 8 years (St Mirren on penalties). We were incredibly unlucky with draws in general. 

I think Hibs were in the Championship when they beat us in the league cup, but yes, we were never victims of a real cup shock under Mcinnes. 

But I'm not sure about the 'incredibly unlucky' part. In the years where we were clearly the 2nd best side in the country, we threw away a golden chance by losing to St Johnstone in a semi final, then meekly surrendering in the 3rd round to a bang average Dundee 7 months later and to a Hearts side a year later that then went on to lose to Hibs in the next round. 

If you want to win cups they're the games you have to win, and we hardly fired a shot in 2 of them. 

14 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Both teams are playing on the same pitch. You can’t tell me just because it’s a plastic pitch matty Kennedy is going to turn into Ryan giggs

Funnily enough his best game for us was away at Killie. Maybe it just ‘suits’ a certain ‘type’ 

of shite players 🤷

Plastic pitches are shite. They give home team advantage. There’s no argument unless you’re just clutching 

8 hours ago, huncunts said:

Cool story mate but you know they filmed the game and you can actually see their chances and everything?

https://youtu.be/A7SJKIdnPUQ

My favourite is Griffiths perfectly heading it into the bottom corner but knowing Lewis would unwittingly save it with his foot in the last minute. 

Yeah yeah Celtic gave their absolute all in that game & we were just far too good for them. Amazed that we didn’t win the league with that performance alone. Especially with it being on the tele.

• Dildo 1
13 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Celtic finished on fucking 92 points in 14/15. We finished 75 and downed tools a bit once the title run was over and 2nd was confirmed with about 5 left to play. a few more points might have been enough to win the league in other seasons. 

What killed us in 14/15 was losing all four games to Celtic. If we’d won all four that’s a 24 point swing and we’d have won the league 😆.

We were still in touching distance when we went to Celtic Park on March. We were actually the better team until Scott Brown (the goalkeeper) fucked it and we collapsed in the 2nd half. 

4 hours ago, BrisDon said:

What killed us in 14/15 was losing all four games to Celtic. If we’d won all four that’s a 24 point swing and we’d have won the league 😆.

We were still in touching distance when we went to Celtic Park on March. We were actually the better team until Scott Brown (the goalkeeper) fucked it and we collapsed in the 2nd half. 

I mind that game. Played them off the park 1st half. Then shat it and lost about 4-0. 

Scott brown 😭

was that the season Rooney scored about 30 goals by February but then got a season ending injury too

We didn’t know at the time that Glass would be an unmitigated failure, but I agree its rare that a manager with little to no experience becomes an instant success.

Mcinnes, much like Calderwood had ample time to implement their own philosophies but neither lifted us to the next level and ultimately the fans lost patience.

Understandable that younger fans would look at the Mcinnes era through dewy eyes when you look at the shite that’s bookended it.

The general lop-sided structure of Scottish football makes it immensely difficult for any manager outside the OF to win accolades nowadays.

That doesn’t stop us hoping it’ll all come together one day and we’ll get the consistency required to properly have a go.

• Dildo 1
23 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I’m always quick to defend mcinnes but the above really wasn’t good enough. Hibs were in the championship for at least one of those wins (I can’t remember the second one!)

we were not incredibly unlucky with draws if we only got drawn to play Celtic 5 times out of the 17 attempts. 

15 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I’m always quick to defend mcinnes but the above really wasn’t good enough. Hibs were in the championship for at least one of those wins (I can’t remember the second one!)

we were not incredibly unlucky with draws if we only got drawn to play Celtic 5 times out of the 17 attempts. 

I didn't think he ever lost to a lower league team, but I could be wrong. Given what came before and after him, it was nice never to suffer that embarrassment for a while. 

Regarding the Celtic point,I think if you want to win a cup you need to expect to beat one of the Glasgow teams along the way. It's pretty lucky if you don't. 

What McInnes had in cups was a great level of consistency. I think he got to something like 11 semi finals, which is pretty good going. However, all that matters in the end is putting the trophy in the cabinet. The one that hurts the most is that Scottish Cup semi against St Johnstone. That should've been our year but for Stevie May

5 hours ago, thedandydon said:

We didn’t know at the time that Glass would be an unmitigated failure, but I agree its rare that a manager with little to no experience becomes an instant success.

Mcinnes, much like Calderwood had ample time to implement their own philosophies but neither lifted us to the next level and ultimately the fans lost patience.

Understandable that younger fans would look at the Mcinnes era through dewy eyes when you look at the shite that’s bookended it.

The general lop-sided structure of Scottish football makes it immensely difficult for any manager outside the OF to win accolades nowadays.

That doesn’t stop us hoping it’ll all come together one day and we’ll get the consistency required to properly have a go.

But McInnes DID lift us to 'the next level'. 

2nd and 3rd place finishes, cup finals and semi finals galore, respectable European results. 

Sadly though, it was the level above that we needed to reach. 

3 hours ago, Daisy1903 said:

I didn't think he ever lost to a lower league team, but I could be wrong. Given what came before and after him, it was nice never to suffer that embarrassment for a while. 

Regarding the Celtic point,I think if you want to win a cup you need to expect to beat one of the Glasgow teams along the way. It's pretty lucky if you don't. 

What McInnes had in cups was a great level of consistency. I think he got to something like 11 semi finals, which is pretty good going. However, all that matters in the end is putting the trophy in the cabinet. The one that hurts the most is that Scottish Cup semi against St Johnstone. That should've been our year but for Stevie May

Hibs beat us in the league cup when they were in the championship. That Aberdeen team shouldn’t have been losing to likes of them, Dundee, st Johnstone or twice to Motherwell in the same season. We had chances, we weren’t unlucky to have had that many chances and blown them against pish teams

6 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Hibs beat us in the league cup when they were in the championship. That Aberdeen team shouldn’t have been losing to likes of them, Dundee, st Johnstone or twice to Motherwell in the same season. We had chances, we weren’t unlucky to have had that many chances and blown them against pish teams

I agree that we weren't unlucky. 

There's so little between most teams in the SPL that I don't think we can be saying we should never lose to Dundee, St Johnstone and Morherwell though.

1 hour ago, Daisy1903 said:

I agree that we weren't unlucky. 

There's so little between most teams in the SPL that I don't think we can be saying we should never lose to Dundee, St Johnstone and Morherwell though.

Can’t say never. But when we had that many chances we should have taken them once or twice when we had such a better team for so many years. 2nd was wrapped up with games to spare. Even the first season the Huns were up we were well ahead in 2nd. 

13 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

That's not including the times we drew either cheek and beat them.

15 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

But McInnes DID lift us to 'the next level'. 

2nd and 3rd place finishes, cup finals and semi finals galore, respectable European results. 

Sadly though, it was the level above that we needed to reach. 

Yes and Derek clearly, for whatever reason, didn’t have the ambition for it.  Maybe he just chose to believe it was impossible and acted accordingly.  The Club then made their own decision on that, and acted accordingly.

Next.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:09 PM, thedandydon said:

Signing JET was a pretty clear sign it would fail under glass. One of the worst players to have ever graced the hallowed turf. Boy looked like he was towing two caravans.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:09 PM, thedandydon said:

I think the next level would have involved more cash.Although of course 800k was found for Hernandez.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:50 AM, Gooby1983 said:

We knocked them out of the Scottish cup at Celtic park in Feb 2014 then blew it in the semi final against St Johnstone. Probably our best chance of the Scottish cup was that year. 

Yep. That was the year of Stevie May. He was magnificent. 
Didn’t help McGinn missing a sitter. 

The Utd semi at Hampden was another sickener. Rooney had a perfectly good goal disallowed and our goalie had hands made of jelly.